1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to Figure out What Being a Trans Christian Means

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by annag423, Oct 24, 2017.

1. annag423

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't posted here in a while, but as I've mentioned in other posts I'm a minister. I spend most of my time being a voice for this community on social media, trying to help more conservative Christians see the hurt that they're causing us. In doing so I've put a lot of thought into how who I am fits into my beliefs and just what that means, not just for myself but in hopes of helping others see the same things. In my work on social media I've come to see what my beliefs are not, if that makes sense. There are things that I speak out against regularly, you know? What I am less sure on is what it actually means to be a trans woman and a Christian. I've spent so much time responding to what others say it means that I'm not sure what it means for me. I also want to say that I know religion can be a touchy subject here and I'm not trying to start something ugly. I'm just wondering if there are others here who have dealt with this before. How did you integrate who you are into your worldview, and what did that look like for you?

WeirdQueer likes this.
  2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being a Catholic bisexual is one of the hardest things I think I have gone through, and still am going through.

I am not trans, so I can't really relate on that front, but the struggle to embrace my sexuality and my religion has been difficult. I question myself on almost a daily basis. I also believe that all the passages where the bible condemns homosexuality are in fact mistranslated, and their original meaning was meant to condemn other sinful acts, not homosexuality.

I have come to a few conclusions for myself:
    a. There are far worse things I can do/sins I can commit than be bisexual.
    b. As long as I am a good person/Christain, and believe that Jesus is my savior and died for my sins I should be okay regardless of who I sleep with.
    c. John 13:34 never specifies who we can and can't love. It simply states "Love one another, as I have loved you".

So I have accepted the bisexual side of myself, and well as the Catholic side, and I try my best to integrate both in a way I think I can be happy with.

#2 BothWaysSecret, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  3. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the first thing is that being trans (as far as I am aware of, anyway) is never even mentioned in the bible, and is separate from sexuality. I also believe that god doesn't make mistakes, so even though I'm trans I can't be a mistake, so being born in the wrong body must be just another test of my faith.

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it's been a process of reading and studying to finally arrive at a place where I can be openly gay (and not celibate) and Christian. It's been a journey!

I am an Anglican and my church emphasises a threefold approach: scripture, tradition and reason. I don't think some provinces within the Anglican church get the balance right, especially in the developing world where reason is almost abandoned, but for me reason is vitally important. Without reason faith is hollow and it doesn't speak to the world in which we exist.

I love the Bible and take it seriously, but, I refuse to elevate it to a false position and take it literally or read it as historical fact. It was never intended for us to use the Bible in such a way and when we do, it's like ramming a square peg into a round hole. The absolute fixation on "remaining faithful" to scripture has profoundly damaged our personal and intimate relationship with God and clouded all sound and reasonable judgement, so my first challenge was to move away from that position. It was the best thing I did -- it felt quite liberating actually and opened my eyes to many things. Over the years, some Christians have used and abused scripture to undergird personal prejudice and bigotry and in the process alienated many millions of people, especially members of the LGBT community. I want nothing to do with that because it's just wrong and reduces the Bible to a book of hate.

I'm not sure how much the Gospels accurately depict Jesus life and ministry (it's open to question), but they all seem to lean in the same direction when it comes to reflecting His thoughts about judgement and piety. Very clearly, he railed against things like that and we should too. For me that's the essence of our faith; to love and refrain for judgement and hate. We don't need to dress it all up with words because it's so simple and I think simplicity is the best way forward.

BothWaysSecret likes this.
  5. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like this thread :grin:
    A lot of times I'm ashamed of being a believer (of undefined religion) due to the narrow mindness of many other believers, and not just toward lgbt issues. Being an atheist would be muuuch simplier, but I... can't be one; I tried xD
    Finding other lgbt believers gives me hope that I can dovetail faith with being bisexual and transgender, somehow, someday.

BothWaysSecret likes this.