1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'trying to be different'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by -Michael-, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Same here. I've been called all sorts of synonyms for strange or different, but I would usually much rather be like me than like the person saying it.

2. Janvier

Hey !!
    Sure, it's impractical and takes up space but vinyl is the BEST (!)
    Not some crappy compressed mp3 you listen to on a crappy iPod with horrible earphones :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. pirateninja

We're not too different; they're just too samey. :grin:

4. Defraction

There's nothing wrong with being different as such, it's just when people try SO hard they start to seem pretentious, is when it annoys me.

And I see those people fairly often, blah...

5. That's like this girl we know, she wears skinny jeans and flats every day and tries so hard to be different she ends up being the exact same as everyone else.

6. Helen

Helen Guest

That's a bit like people who are only different when it suits them, and depending on who's around them. I could never do that, because I want everyone I know to see me in the same way, so that there isn't a conflicting "...but Helen's not like that :confused:" if my different groups of acquaintances ever made contact.

Basically, using "same" and "different" in ways that completely don't relate to this conversation, I have concluded that it's good to be different, as long as it's the same type of different, if that makes sense. >.<

In short, people shouldn't change depending on who they're around. Right? XD

7. Peter

Nothing wrong with being different. I am the only business man I know who goes to meetings with general managers of multinational organizations wearing a bow-tie (I got a lovely pink one with little blue flowers, or one with Winnie-the-Pooh on it). In fact, I have people to whom I taught a class ten years ago who recognize me because of it.
    We are all different, only some of us are more different than the rest.