1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trump will give healthcare workers the right to refuse to treat LGBT people

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kira, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"
    https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/01...hcare-workers-right-refuse-treat-lgbt-people/
    The very same pinnacle of stupidity that has been struck down so many times in the US (and for good reason) is trying to break out of the grave once more, and use us to fill the vacancy.

I remember so much support for this imbecile prior to the election. Now? Silence, and for good reason.
    Good to know in the future when my health conditions kick in, they can just let me squirm on the floor and slowly die instead of stepping in on the basis of "I don't like her, she's gay, lol"

TLDR; "Moron President decides LGBT people have too many protections and Christians too little power"

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is half of what drove me to break down the other night. I really hope its all just rumors and it doesn't happen. You can't predict that sort of thing and it would probably breach employee privacy or something like that to make it public what their employees support and don't support. And with some health insurance plans you can't pick who you go to for whatever anyways, like with mine its a pcp and referals. It would totally screw us and families/friends of lgbt people over. And doesn't it go against that oath they make anyways? How the hell am i disgusting enough to not warrant treatment but yet they'll treat some murderer fresh from the crime scene. If Trump is on this it'll get passed, he did the religious freedom day thing the other day. This is just mental torture. I saw news of not one but two horrific hate crime murders against lgbt people in my twitter timeline this morning too.

3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mediate, meditate, meditate. Sit in a quite room, relax, breath deep and concentrate on your breathing. Do this for ~10 to 30 minutes per day.

4. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, and that's exactly what I thought of upon reading this. This will be fought hard by doctors themselves, it's a complete rejection of the centuries old most basic principle of the entire profession, which is to help anyone who needs help. Which is why emergency rooms can't turn someone away even if the patient can't pay for it. It's the ethical equivalent of an attorney openly saying they no longer feel like enforcing justice, only jailing people they don't like.

It's a pretty long oath, but these are the four parts doing this would break:

1. "I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug."

Not showing sympathy and understanding to an LGBT patient by rejecting them because of any personal belief violates the oath.

2. "Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God."

Denying treatment to someone with a fatal disease like HIV is essentially killing them, taking a life, which would be playing god and is prohibited by the oath.

3. "I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick."

As you mentioned, it would screw over the family of an LGBT person if they were rejected treatment, lost their job, lost their house without a job, died etc. because nobody would treat them, which violates the oath.

4. "I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure."

Not treating LGBT people with contagious diseases, like STD's, is choosing not to prevent disease and violates the oath.

5. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It doesn't just affect LGBT people suffering from HIV. It affects every single gay person who wants to go to the doctor for a simple check-up.

6. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The point is that it's completely idiotic. We can argue about how idiotic it is, but we all agree that it is, simply put, stupid. Ugh. This entire year has been just one pile of crap after another.

7. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Guys look this really is a thing. Please tell me they're just gonna procrastinate or not put funding towards it or whatever so it won't come to fruition. Its only the first year of the trump presidency if shit like this keeps up i'm not gonna fucking survive it. How am i so disgusting and wrong that someone might refuse me. I know they treat murderers fresh from the crime scene.

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2018...tm_campaign=Engagement&linkId=100000001764702

8. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is horrible. Everyone deserves a right to cheap and good healthcare no matter who they are. Both my parents are doctors and if you ask them why they became doctors, they will say it's because they wanted to help people. Women and LGTBGQA+ folks shouldn't be denied healthcare. And second, the religious freedom thing is dumb. They declare a day dedicated religious freedom and then kick out any Muslim they see.

9. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That will either not hold up, or doctors will choose to continue to treat LGBT people.

10. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The link to the article didn't work, but I've read another article about this, and it kind of seems like people are jumping to conclusions when they say this.

Did he or did he not directly say he'd give medical professionals the privilege to refuse to help gay people? What exactly did he say?

Also, are you really afraid here? I doubt the supreme court would allow such a thing. This is why we have checks and balances. Sure, the system has failed us before(quite a lot actually), but I don't think they'd allow something like this to pass.

11. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hadn't heard of this previously, but it appears that the "Conscience and Religious Freedom" division within the US Department of Health and Human Services is causing issues. It's meant to be there to ensure that doctors don't have to perform abortions or assisted suicide against their religious beliefs - but the wording is so loose that it could extend to not treating LGBT people.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-the-religious-freedom-division-threatens-lgbt-healthand-science/

12. smurf

Naw, its purposefully vague.

A lot of these religious freedom bills are directly targeted towards the trans community. LGB people will also get affected, but not as hard as trans people. It really fucking sucks.

Doctors are ready to not LGBT people if they don't want to.

13. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do they even verify that the person discriminating against LGBT people is actually doing it out of religious beliefs and not homophobia? Do they have to provide a membership card to prove they are active members of a religious institution. Religion has too often been used as a shield to practice discrimination and contempt of the LGBT population.

Anyone who pays public tax dollars for public services should not not be denied service.

14. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No membership card is required. There is really no way to verify it, since the entire basis of religion is what people believe internally, not what they do externally. Which is why people like laws like this so much, it really does let them do whatever they feel like as long as they can claim it goes against their religion. The most they would ever have to do to "prove it" is sign a declarative document saying they believe in whatever they feel is being violated, even if they are just lying about it.

15. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am already experiencing being refused service. :frowning2:

16. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ahhh. Yep. That makes sense. We should really have someone reword it then.
    It shouldn't even take being religious to be allowed to refuse assisted suicides or abortions. Any doctor, atheist or religious, should have that choice. Atheists have moral dilemmas too.

17. nikmadero

nikmadero Guest

Was searching up stuff when I stumbled across this thread. Don't mean to bump old threads but want to share my perspective as a (future) medical provider (current med student).

I will never refuse someone treatment they need simply on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender identification. For what it's worth, I'm Muslim and you might have a heard about the general sentiment of Islam towards LGBT folks. Nonetheless, I believe that providing care to another human being takes precedence over anything else in those religious texts. The vast majority of doctors and healthcare providers feel the same way.

18. Kimmer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seriously who even voted for trump?

19. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You'd be surprised. Not to name anyone, but there were even a good few here on the forums prior to the election. I don't know how they were fooled, but I hope they think more cautiously next time. If there is one.

Basically my entire town thinks of him as some unquestionable and infallible prophet as well, but that's a bit of a severe case I'd assume.

20. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mostly Republicans who hate Hillary and people who just weren't thinking clearly.