1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump or Hillary better for LGBT community

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by silverdeer, Jun 15, 2016.

1. AKTodd

This - plus I would point out that even if Trump is totally indifferent to LGBT people, a lot of members of his party, in particular congressional Republicans, are not. Given Trumps demonstrated ignorance/indifference/inconsistency on most issues, it seems a very short stretch to think that he might be OK with just going along and rubberstamping whatever hard right agenda a Republican Congress might want to put in front of him.

The majority of the Republican Party has it as official policy to support lots of anti-LGBT policies combined with a generalized nastiness where we are concerned (as is often documented on this very forum in the News section). The Democratic Party not only does not, but actively works to include us in their tent (yes, I'm sure there are some homophobic Democrats out there - but they aren't driving the policy of the party) and fight for our rights.

We're electing a President, not an Emperor, but we are also making a strategic judgement on what outcome best serves our interests. Having an outcome that favors the Democratic Party is better for the LGBT community as a whole IMO.

Todd

2. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my God I can't believe we are actually having this conversation.......

How can ANYONE actually think Trump is better than Hillary on LGBT rights ?! Or even comparable??!!!? Trump is a Republican first of all. He is going to try to ban gay marriage, make it illegal for trans people to be in bathrooms, and overturn any progress we could possibly have. Also, Trump is racist, sexist, xenophobic, and an overall terrible human being. He literally wants to keep Muslims out of our country and called Mexicans rapists. He calls women pigs and treats them like nothing just like he treats immigrants, Muslims, and black people like nothing. If you consider Trump as even SOMEWHAT close to as "good as" Hillary, you're coming from an incredible place of privilege. You are probably a white male if anything. I can't imagine any sane woman, PoC, immigrant, or Muslim that would believe Trump is good at all. Or LGBT person but.......

Also I agree with what someone said earlier. If you refuse to vote Hillary and put our country at jeopardy of Trump winning, you are also coming from an irrational place of privilege. Think about what will happen if Trump wins. What kind of hate crimes will Mexicans and Muslims face? What kind of world will black Americans live in? And LGBT people??? Remember this isn't only about the presidency. It's also about a supreme court nomination and making sure we can hold a majority in this country. If you want to do the whole "Bernie or Bust" nonsense then go ahead but remember you are signing your own rights away.

Hillary might have not been for LGBT rights a while ago but she is now and that's all that matters. She is a Democrat and she will vote for LGBT, black, and women's rights at least.

3. From a UK user, I wouldn't know about either, but Trump actually stated he's against the NC Bathroom Law. Then again, that's one instance. What about the L G & B?

4. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The problem is that even if he is "ok" with LGBT people which he isn't, he isn't ok with black people, Muslims, Latino people, women, or anyone who isn't white. And we all know that not all LGBT people are white men. We are ignoring a huge portion of our community in this conversation.

5. faustian1

I think I'd write in "Gore Vidal," before I'd believe either one of them.

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Both of them are terrible, but I think Hillary would do less damage. All in all, the states are fucked :/

7. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Down here in the other side of the world, the prevailing view is that Hillary would be same old, while Trump would send the world into chaos.

Not that I like Hillary (I do not), but seriously. Letting a guy on whose sanity the jury's still out, lead a nation with the most-powerful military in the world by far? And worse... putting the still more than sizeable American nuclear arsenal in the hands of that guy?

With Hillary, things wouldn't progress very far for LGBT people. Yet, with Trump, the US -- and seeing as they're the only superpower, the world -- are headed for disaster.

#67 Miaplacidus, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why is this even a conversation? Trump is an authoritarian, and most of his supporters want us dead. Even with Clinton being only opportunistically supportive, she would never support policies as bad for the LGBT community as Trump.

By no means do I uncritically support Clinton. I just believe that we should reject Trump.

I don't like Clinton, so I'll be voting for Jill Stein.