1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Trump Nominates Conservative Neil Gorsuch To Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by backdrop, Jan 31, 2017.

1. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At least he hasn't been metaphorically pushing us off buildings like the others, I suppose?

Eh. Another nail in my coffin.

3. AlamoCity

I feel several things might happen: if we get a true majority conservative court (i.e. Where kennedy is not the center), the hopefully respect precedent. If not, hopefully by then we have enough clout to pass civil rights in Congress. :/

4. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm to the point that I might have to stop looking into politics because all of this is so depressing. Should've been Garland.

5. CyclingFan

I understand wanting to turn away from politics. Unfortunately, this will not make it better.

Take care of yourself. Be prepared to fight.

6. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apparently he is more conservative than Scalia and he's the same literalist who thinks that the constitution must be interpreted in the way that was originally envisioned by the founders. He's also written a book about assisted suicide in which he argues about the "sanctity of all life" but avoids the discussion about wars and state sanctioned murder of individuals. We all know where that type of thinking leads...

Buckle your seatbelt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye-bye! :slight_smile:

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard that too, which doesn't make me feel safe because Scalia was quite an asshole.

Well, now I'm waiting to hear that we have to """"respect"""" him and Trump now. (eye roll)

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard that too, which doesn't make me feel safe because Scalia was quite an asshole.

Well, now I'm waiting to hear that we have to """"respect"""" him and Trump now. (eye roll)

9. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I more or less have begun feeling numb and unsurprised about anybody he's putting in office at this point. I'm not surprised at all that he picked someone conservative to replace Scalia. The only good thing about this (if you would even want to call it a good thing) is that I haven't found anything about this man specifically being against LGBT issues and while that may be a good thing, he's conservative and seems very religious and while not all people who are very religious are against LGBT rights, a fair few of them are against them so really who knows for now.

#9 kibou97, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A conservative is replacing a conservative.

11. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  12. Old Soul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew this day was coming, and now that it's here, it makes me feel sick to my stomach. That may sound absurd to some people, but he's only 49 years old which means he could be on the Court til a lot of us here are reaching retirement age. Legal experts say that he's intelligent and writes his opinions eloquently, unlike Scalia's jibber-jabber nonsense. That's nice and all, but that doesn't change the fact that he's extreme (read: reactionary) on most issues and basically wants to give this country away to corporations and roll back rights for minorities, like restricting voting rights for African Americans, equal rights for LGBT people, women's reproductive rights, and the list goes on and on.

When a judge describes himself/herself as an "originalist" in regards to the Constitution, think about what that means. The Constitution was ratified in 1787, when slavery was legal. Women, African Americans, and white men who didn't own land couldn't vote. The fact that we can amend the Constitution proves that it's a living, breathing document and hence the "originalist" ideology is against what our Founding Fathers intended for the Constitution to be.

Even though it's a reactionary replacing another reactionary, what happens if Kennedy, Ginsburg, or Breyer choose to step down (or die?) in the next four years? That'll tip the Court to the far-right for the next several decades. And that will do so much damage to this country. :icon_sad:

There's so much resistance right now to what this administration's doing, that we can't afford to keep moving to the far-right. The Muslim ban policy seemed to be the tip of the iceberg. And Trump keeps issuing executive orders and appointing people into the highest levels of government that are completely out of touch/against all of the progress this country has made over the last 150 years. This is such a diverse country now that Trump's policies are only appealing to a small segment of this country.

Sorry for ranting, but I've had a lot on my mind regarding these issues. I just think that everything that's been going on for the last 13 days is going to lead to some kind of civil war or something else that's equally or almost as ugly. We can't keep going in this direction without something terrible happening. Trump has proven that he's not fit for this job and I wonder if he's going to have some kind of nervous breakdown. He's clearly a narcissist who can't handle the protests and other forms of resistance to what he's doing.