1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble being around people?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by kanra, Jul 22, 2016.

1. kanra

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've struggled with depression for quite a few years now, but I've rarely let it interfere with my relationships until this year (especially my friendships). I went through some pretty rough friendship "break-ups" at the end of 2015, and since then, I've pretty much drawn away from people; I still live in a house with six people, work a few days a week, and talk to friends, so I'm not completely isolated, but I don't spend as much time in social situations anymore. I can't be around anyone for more than a couple hours without getting snippy, annoyed, and irritable. This even goes for text/social media conversations. I just get annoyed and want to leave.

I'm wondering, does anyone have any insight on whether this is probably my depression? Or maybe a result of the break-ups (most of them were the result of others mistreating/hurting me)? Is this my coping method?

Most importantly, does anyone have any advice on how I can not be like this? I want to be a good friend and a fun person to be around again.

I always know when it's happening, and I try very hard to talk myself through it, but it rarely works. I end up getting quiet and awkwardly playing on my phone because I'm afraid of snapping at someone. It just makes my social life shit these days. I can't hang out with anyone without my mean side coming out >.<

Thanks, everyone!

2. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've also struggled with depression and find that I too isolate myself. Instead of snapping at others I tend to just go off by myself/avoid people. After a couple hours I end up bored or irritated. As far as fixing this problem I'm not much help. Do you have a therapist? If not I would recommend finding a *great* one. My therapist has been incredibly helpful in these sorts of situations.