1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transitioning during the 40s

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MartyMcP, May 14, 2018.

1. MartyMcP

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I'm nearing 42, so I'm honestly curious, how difficult would transitioning be at this stage from F to M? Especially with menopause around the corner in a few years

I'm not "out" to anyone IRL minus my partner( who accepts me just as I am)

Mentally and physically is it more difficult to do it older as opposed to younger ages( which for me was the 1990s and gender transitioning didn't really happen then.

2. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Socially: I think the older we get the more baggage we have in life and as a result it may seem like a bigger deal to change certain aspects of our job... like for example when people transition sometimes they also change things up in their jobs and careers... this could be tougher for someone who has a more established career.

Medically: I think in general HRT works better the younger you are... or that seems to be the general sentiment... since your body has had more years to bombard you with the wrong hormones. The thing for me on this one is, correcting body chemistry late or early is irrelevant. If my body produces the wrong hormone mix, then I need to correct that whether it's been producing the wrong mix for 20 years, or 50. As for menopause I can't speak to that as I never really looked it up, but my initial thought is that maybe it'd actually assist in some of the process?

Mentally: Transition is hard no matter what age. It's full of difficult times, tough conversations, internal struggles... It's also full of moments of gender euphoria, feelings of relief & bliss & excitement. It feels like you've freed yourself from a cage at times. Sure there are points where you wonder "wait, is this worth it?"... but the deeper you get into it (or so it seems from people I've talked to and my own experiences with transition) the easier it is to know that the answer to that question is "hell yes".

I may be sounding a little too pro-transition here... this is because I am biased. I like cheering on people who are uncertain if they should transition. That doesn't mean that it's right for everyone or that it's even something you have to do in order to validate your transness! I just get eager and like to be like "yes! live your life!" it's a habit. Good luck, and either way I hope you find oodles of happiness ♥

Hanyauku likes this.
  3. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Correction but I cant edit anymore...