1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transgender questions?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miles D, Feb 1, 2009.

1. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Well, I was told not to call them that actually by my English teacher. She now says the correct way is 'Indigenous Native Peoples'. But if I do, I feel so damn racist. I might as well call myself an African Heritage American Born Citizen. And, I don't think so.

2. KatzInHatz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Haha oooo~!~! But I prefer to be called Native American~! XD

And sorry for saying something off topic~! ^.^

3. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Wow.
    Is anyone else glad that I missed this debate? It would have definitely been in lock down mode if I had contributed.

In any case, I do have a question for whoever can answer this. I got to thinking about this when I was inwardly debating how I felt if a man was able to have children. I found myself a little hesistant to "give up" that part of my femaleness in order for men to have it. My question is this:

How do you feel about gender bending? I'm not talking about transitioning to your proper gender, but rather, how do you feel about people who mix and match genders? Or people who have no gender at all? We have a few transgendered people on this website, but what about nongenders or twogenders? Is there a specific word that I'm missing?

I'd like to know about your experiences. I want to learn and try to abolish my biases.

4. Axon

Hey Miles,

I feel rather repetitive, but I have to say that having shined some light on this subject has really been great for me and for many others here on EC. At the moment, I have two questions to ask you.

(1) If I interpreted correctly, you said that you knew you were a boy from an early age. How did this affect your development and how you defined yourself as a person?

(2) (This one might be confusing.) You previously posted that your hormone, i.e. testosterone, intake resulted in a development of masculine characteristics, but that it did not "take away" the female characteristics, e.g. breast development. My question is, hypothetically, if you retained your female genitalia, would you be able to conceive a child (and give birth) or would the increase in testosterone levels hinder estrogen production, therefore ceasing the ovulation period?

PS: I'm sorry for probing into such "scientific" details. You really don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable doing so. :confused:

5. NathanHaleFan

Oh dear.

Yes, it sure was wrong for Miles to open a thread on an LGBT website and expect nobody to insult his sexual identity. :dry: Just so you know, referring to a transexual person by the gender opposite to which he identifies, in full knowledge of the gender that he identifes with, is insult #1. If I were transexual and you did that to me, I would be so offended. They're not just "simple words."

Just don't do it again.

6. Amy

Amy

:eusa_clap
    That is exactly what I think.
    :kiss:

I knoooow. :x

7. Miles D

I think the word you might be looking for is "genderqueer", one who identifies with some aspects of the male gender and some female. I don't know too many genderqueer people, but I have a few friends that are just "butch" lesbians, which is a form of gender bending.
    I do have a friend from home who identifies as genderqueer; she is more than just "butch" she identifies a lot with the male gender, just not so much that she feels bad or not right in her body.
    Sorry I don't know more about this!! But wikipedia is a cool site which has a list of tons of gender-identities. (bigender, third gender, pangender... ) :grin:

8. Miles D

1. Well, I have to say, this is a huge question (or perhaps one with a huge answer). maybe I'll blog about this, but it's really confusing to be nine years old, and to go to school wearing clothes that you like and think are cool, and then have other boys tell you that you shouldn't be wearing them. I also didn't like doing activities that separated me by my biological sex. (i.e. playing all-girls softball, girl scouts) Basically, it was confusing.

2. Well, as long as a person is taking testosterone, they can't conceive [I believe]. But the transman Thomas Beattie gave birth and is expecting again! He stopped taking his hormones, and so his female hormones just kicked back in and helped him have a healthy baby! He did have chest surgery, so therefore breath feeding is a no-go.

9. djt820

I cant believe people are still commenting on this. Because I totally was aiming for hurt feelings...:rolleyes:

10. Bunny

-hugs-

That is exactly how I feel. It's degrading and humiliating when I get called 'she' or 'her', yet it happens dozens of times per day, by people who don't even know they're offending me. x-x

11. Stuie

Can I admire your strength of character, Miles? You're amazingly brave!
    But yes, questions, do you think there are probably far more transsexuals out there than we acknowledge and partly the social stigma associated with it keeps people from dealing with it?

12. Miles D

thanks. :grin:
    yes, I do! I mean, the number of people who transition after they're 40 or 50 years old speaks to that. I mean, the first sex reassignment surgery was in the 30's... so what about the transpeople before that? I really doubt that transseualism is a new phenomena, and one must wonder where all the trannies were before that!
    I also think that there are probably a good number of transfolk that are living stealth (only as their true gender and not disclosing their trans-status) and people would never be able to tell. :slight_smile:

13. Miles D

(*hug*) *tranny cuddle* (*hug*)

14. jotheoneandonly

i don't know the full defintion, please explain.
    my veiw so far is the right gender in the wrong body, is that right?

15. Miles D

well, yeah. I'm a guy, I feel like a guy, identify as male, dress like a guy, but I was born into the wrong body. So there will be things I'll do to change my body to fit what in my head.
    Basically what's between my ears doesn't match what's between my legs.
    :grin:

16. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

wow i just read all eight pages of this. i now understand the difference between preop and post op. i understand the difference between mTf and fTm and all that jazz. You really do inspire me and i hope you didnt take any of the comments said to you in this thread as rude (even though they were very rude). As a member of the LGBT community we are prone to rudeness and ignorance (even on our own site i guess) in our everyday life. Thanks so much for making this thread. It really has been the first thing i have read about transexuallity. I feel like i am a more knowing person now and you should know that you are very selfless.

I have a question actually:

How far after you recognized yourself as a male did you transition to making friends/family identify you as your true identity?

17. Miles D

well I'm glad I could help to educate you :grin: and thanks very much..

I came to the conclusion that I was transgender right around Christmas '07, and I kept it to myself until August '08 when I transitioned at school. in October I visited home and told my parents that I had been living as male for the past months. I told a few friends over summer of '08, but didn't change my name or pronouns.
    :slight_smile:

18. Miles D

19. xCrazyInsanity

I'm very tempted to give my own bitch-fit on the argument a few pages back (for once i actually read the whole thread! OMG!..shutting up now) but that would end... badly. I'm a terrible debater :lol:

However, serious question, semi-related
    Have you ever had trouble with jobs because of your gender? I realize you're in a more liberal place than I am but still

20. Miles D

I haven't, but the only jobs I've had since transitioning are at my college, and when applying I didn't really have to fill out your standard tax forms and job applications.

But now that I've had surgery I can change my gender marker, so that's awesome.

-Miles