1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transgender questions?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miles D, Feb 1, 2009.

1. djt820

I dont think I was born gay. I dont think anyone is born with an orientation, though genetics can be somewhat involved in determining this, your sexuality is gained through life and that applies to the transexual as well. You are not born female and automatically have an absolute need to be male. That is, for the lack of a better term, learned through life. If she truely had the mind of a male, she would be growing facial hair and she would have a deep voice because the brain sends the message to release these hormones.

2. NathanHaleFan

Alright, this is beginning to annoy me. If you are not going to accept what he tells you about his gender, at least have the common courtesy to to refer to him by the pronoun he requested-- "he," not "she."

And if his entire brain isn't male, at least the part that controls sexual identity is, and to me, that's all that counts unless you're a physician.

3. djt820

Alright. Can you show some proof of this sexual idetity part of the brain and how it works and how it can ever be opposite of what gender it actually is?
    I do, in fact, accept what he thinks he is. Thats the way his mind perceived this situation but that doesnt necesarily mean its fact. Im going with what my minds perceives this as. If I were to change my sex, I would do some damn long research about this and would look into the science in the situation and not just what my mind thinks of the situation.

4. Um... I'm not really following your logic. You think that what you percieve to be your gender is less important than what chemical tests and psychology might tell you? So, maybe, you think you're gay but you don't have genetic testing to back that theory, nor do you have hormone records of your mother's pregnancy with you, and you don't have MRI's to prove that your brain is slightly more similar to a straight female's than a straight male's would be. So you're not gay until you can prove it. :S I don't get it.

5. KeithJ108

I'm having trouble understanding your logic, and I'm not trying to be rude to you in the rest of my post but if I understand you correctly:

Your saying you were not born gay, your life experience has made you gay?

I think your also trying to say that if Miles was born a female, it's only his life experience that makes him transexual?

and you then think this means he's not really transexual?

If I've got that right so far, then I have a question for you:

Applying that same logic to you, as you do to Miles' situation, does that mean that you are not in fact gay? You just think you are because of your life experience?

Why then don't you act and behave as a straight male until you do "some damn long research about this and would look into the science in the situation and not just what my mind thinks of the situation"?? Why would you be on EC if you could do that?

I know gender identity is a different issue than sexuality, but in this way I see a similarity.

6. Miles D

If neither hormones nor surgeries were available, I'd still be a man, and i'd still live as one. If you were the last man on earth, would you suddenly turn straight just because the resources weren't there to tangibly express your sexuality? No, you'd be gay no matter what happened in the world. If America was taken over by Canada, you'd still be gay. If you lost your toes in a car accident, you'd still be gay. (yeahh... those two made no sense...) but what I'm trying to say is that modern medicine isn't the reason I'm trans. I didn't realize I could change my sex, and therefore want to. It's something inside my head.

Anorexia affects peoples health negatively. I am perfectly healthy, actually, as transsexualism or gender identity disorder isn't an illness.

If I was born in the 1800s, when there wasn't even a word for people who liked people of their same gender, I would still be a guy. Because of the huge gender barriers/roles constructed by society I would probably not be allowed to transition. Maybe I'd move away and start living as male, without anyone knowing my birth gender. Who knows. If I was born as a Neanderthal? I don't know if their brains worked the same as ours in their perception of gender. I know that they did have specific jobs for men and others for women, but I don't know if these lines were ever blurred. Cavemen's minds were completely different, and I just don't have the anthropological knowledge.
    Humans weren't alive during the time of the dinosaurs... are you asking me what if I was a dinosaur?!

7. Miles D

I agree with Drizzt DoUrden. I mean, you didn't go "Oh, I might be gay. Let me research why this might have happened!"

And also, I HAVE done research. I haven't come across a single person who decided to medically transition that decided "Oops. jk!" and transitioned back.Every other transperson I've talked to feels the same as me; born in the wrong body. We just want to look like we feel inside.

8. Miles D

Okay, after reading this, which i didn't before, I think I'm going to stop answering your questions.
    Sorry, maybe you can do some research on your own, not at the expense of others.
    You were respectful for a while, but you just crossed the line. Did you not read one of my initial posts?
    When people refer to me as "she" or when they use my birth [female] name, something inside me cringes. It's like someone is stabbing my gut, telling me that I'm a worthless piece of shit. I know that is nothing close to their intention; it's just my having a vagina + name on the birth certificate/name I answered to for 16 years. But it doesn't feel like that. It feels horrible.

9. Miles D

Thank you guys. (*hug*)

10. Dazed

Dazed Guest

(*hug*) no real question. i just wanted to say you inspire(spelling?) me to be true to myself.

11. Miles D

aw! thanks!! :grin:
    p.s. it's a little jarring when people tell me that... I never thought I'd inspire people :confused:
    (*hug*) (*hug*)

12. Eccentric

Miles is the masculine form of Miley! Miley Cyrus! (j/k)

I got really confused when I heard the guy in the video say "And now for the Willie Nelson song" in a woman's voice, but then I remembered iTunes was playing.:lol:

If I can think of any questions, I'll ask ya, but right now I just want to say that you seem like a great guy

13. Miles D

"Miley" is Americanized... so what's my birth name?!
    You'll never guess!! muahahaha :grin:
    and if you do, good for you! keep it to yourself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Mr Bojangles

I think I know what it is :wink:

And secondly. I thought you were actually a bloke. WOW. You're a very good transgendered person :slight_smile:

#94 Mr Bojangles, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  15. Miles D

What exactly do you mean I'm a "very good transgendered person"? Because I look like a cisgender man? So "good" men are men that look like men? Who I am (or how "good" I am) isn't judged by my looks.
    Sorry to call you out like that... it's just that when someone tells me they thought I was a "real man" it implies that I'm not, which I know I am.

P.S. cisgender= not transgender. one who identifies with the sex they were born into.

:kiss:

16. Mr Bojangles

I'm gay - i lieks men. And I thought you weren't half bad looking so I was liek BAM. You actually look like a guy, as in you have quite masculine features (some people have quite feminine features - I'm getting a bit weird now, so I'll shut up) I wasn't insinuating you aren't a real man. I was more getting at from the internetty vibes that you felt like a guy to me :slight_smile:. But yes (has rambled on far too much)

17. djt820

Oh christ. People can really take things out of context quickly.
    To clear things up, when I say that your mind perceives yourself as a man, I am still refering to the same kind of thinking an anorexic person would. To me, thats illogical because you have to go through a dramatic process to achieve what you think you are. An anorexic person thinks he or she is fat, they stop eating. Thats a dramatic process, which is illogical because you can CLEARY see he/she is not fat. Its a mental issue. This applies to a transexual. A transexual might think her/his mind is a different gender but its clear that it isnt. Its a mental issue. Im gay because Im a dude and I like men. I dont go through a dramatic process because all I have to do is fuck guys and Im alright.

Also, refering to the whole life experiance thing. I think it applies here because most of our 'individuality' comes from life experiance. I grow up and Im exposed to rock and metal music, sooner or later, I become a fan of said music because I have experianced it through life and my mind has that certain connection to the music. Im gay because I was exposed to it through life and my mind had a certain connection to it, so it picked it up. Thats how I think orientation (and practically everything else) is determined. I dont know what Miles has gone through in his life to make him think the way he thinks but his mind connected to it, and in some cases, the mind can be illogical to most (or some) but seem logical to the person for whom the mind belongs to.

Now, Miles, I told you before, Im not trying to offend you. If you cant handle some simple words maybe you shouldnt have opened this thread. My intentions were not to make you 'cringe' by some simple words. You dont have to answer any of my questions but you'd be going against the whole idea of this thread.

18. Phantasma

I'm sorry, but this is such a flawed argument to me. If you are gay simply because you were exposed to it.. that implies that every straight person is straight only because their life experience has been filled with more straight people than gay people. We know this is not the case.

Following your logic, a gay person is gay ony if we're given enough "exposure" to gay people, and straight people are straight only because they were exposed more to straight people. This makes no sense at all, and is certainly not the case. If it really is nuture over nature, and the life experience you have.. what about the gay people who have grown up in strictly homophobic, mean, anti-gay communities, yet are still homosexual. If it's nuture over nature (as in it is our surrounding and life experience that determines our sexuallity).. couldn't we, following your logic, turn ourselves straight by simply exposing ourselves to more straight people in our early and developing years?

NO.

I have been gay my whole life. I didn't have the slightest clue what being gay meant, had never seen or heard or even known a gay person until just this past year, and was raised in a strictly heterosexual environment. But here I am, a gay guy. Your argument makes no sense at all to me.

I'm sorry but I feel like you are just being plain disrespectful to Miles now. I recognize you have your own opinions, but I can tell you now that I strongly disagree.

19. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you're saying it's a mental issue, you're flat out disregarding your previous comments that he doesn't have a 'male mind' or whatever that was about.

It's only a "drastic change" because not everyone does it, and it's changing things that "typical" people wouldn't change, I guess. Something in his mind says that what he was born with isn't right, and he wants to change that. I don't think you can make that shit up. I don't think it's a cruel trick by nature either. It's, for lack of a better term, a deformity. What's in the brain doesn't match what's in the pants.

Ahh, life experience. Do you believe in fate? Because if everything happens for a reason, you were born to experience certain things that would 'make you gay'. And therefor, BORN GAY (or transsexual, transgendered, bi, or even straight for that matter). If not, sure things in your life could affect your sexuality, but you have no control over that and thus it's similar to being born gay, and the argument is pointless.

Also, I'm curious as to what you consider a "mental issue". Is it a mental issue that you should be institutionalized for?

Miles, you're one coooooooooooool cat. :slight_smile:

20. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    PS: djt820, find your root. If you can't find one, I don't see a point in your nurture vs. nature argument.
    (But I'm A Cheerleader reference ftw.)
    I think that what you're saying makes sense (about the life experience thing) only as a solidifier. The men in my family are assholes, and thus I may not have a generalized respect for men, for example. This could have solidified my homosexuality, and given it a 'cause' or 'root' but that's just extra 'evidence' for the crazies to pick at. I was born gay, and that's the end of it.