1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender(Binary) or Nonbinary

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SimonSaid, Mar 21, 2018.

1. SimonSaid

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I haven't really been thinking about these things for too long, but ever since I've really considered the possibility of being Trans* I've been confused over whether I'm really transgender or if I'm non binary. I tend to dress and act pretty ambiguously and I've found I really don't like answering questions about my gender. I'm not sure what to think or what it would mean for me. It's already difficult enough being transgender in the binary, and the environment I live in isn't exactly LGBTQ friendly… Anyway, dunno if anyone has some advice or maybe experiences they could share. Thanks regardless ;P

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What i always tell people is to experiment irl as much as you can. My experience of gender is very much physical as well as social - like what name people call me as well as physical stuff like binding. So i think to figure yourself out, experimenting with physical and social stuff helps the most.

Google gender tests only help so much. There's a thread on here where you can try names/pronouns. Course i say that but introspection helps too...asking myself if being called a ma'am and by my birth name bugged me, debating names, etc. Simple stuff really. At first i thought i could be bigender, which is both male and female, but then i had to ask myself "Well, what does it mean to be female? How am i female?" and i found that i was totally stumped. I couldn't come up with an answer or relate to being female at all. Sure, i like a few feminine things like my essential oil diffuser and christmas decorating and i'm very long winded (i blame my upbringing), but when it came to trying to answer that question, i was stumped and couldn't answer it. Hence, i identify as transgender instead of bigender.

You can change your signature, too, and try out names/pronouns that way w/o changing your username. I think that's what its called? Like how mine says my name and debated middle names.