1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trans + struggling w being my bf's "exception"

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by pastelwyvern, Apr 18, 2023.

1. pastelwyvern

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all. I don't know how to articulate the problem I have, but I'm going to describe it as best I can. I'm 21 and have been out as transmasc for a couple years, and I'm bi with a strong lean towards men. I just started T last week, so I'm thinking a lot about what I want for my future. I dated my current boyfriend when we were in high school and we got back together about 7 months ago, at which point I was openly, proudly out as trans. He previously identified as straight his whole life, but is a big ally and we fell for each other again so quickly I figured maybe he wasn't straight, since he was so supportive of my identity, and we didn't really have a conversation about it for a while. I've had a feeling for a long time that I only wanted to date gay men, and had we not gotten back together I wouldn't have dated another cishet person ever again. But I figured he knew what it meant to be with me, essentially another dude. I talked to him today about how we each perceive the relationship, and he sees it as a queer one, but he doesn't know what his sexuality is and generally identifies as straight still. As far as I know he's never been attracted to another man. I love him so so so much but I have a strong feeling that once the T really kicks in things will fall apart no matter how much we love each other. I feel intensely guilty admitting I don't know if I want to wait months or even a year to find out, and to have one foot in being a man who loves men and another in this space where I'm an anomaly for my otherwise straight boyfriend (until we hit a wall). It's not a matter of him not being supportive - he sees me for who I am and never misgenders me, wants me to pursue what I need - it's a matter of wanting a relationship where I share the experience of queerness fully with my partner. I don't know how to handle the slow progression towards some breaking point and feeling dysphoric about the whole thing when we have a happy, healthy relationship right now. If any other trans people have been in a similar spot or if anyone has any advice, it would be really appreciated. Thank you for reading this whole thing, it's longer than I thought it would be.

74andHome likes this.
  2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ooh this is an interesting one, Julian. I have no experience of this situation myself. I think for you both it's a case of wait and see. Your boyfriend is doing and saying all the right things - why not give him a chance?

And if it doesn't work out, well..you're 21. You have plenty of time to find someone who will be right for you as a transitioned trans man.

Best of luck though,

Beth x

74andHome likes this.
  3. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Julian, first I wish you well. I hear the confusion and uncertainty. I believe it’s okay to be in that space as things sort themselves out. I also hear you confidence and your understanding of the issues. Patience and time will bring resolution. You’ll know then what to do. You’ve got plenty of time believe me. Thanks for being there.