1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans issues

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Fugs, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just wanted to chime in and add that I'm extremely disappointed in the EC readership for derailing that thread by way of "what about groping/harrassment/assault?" As far as I'm aware, not a single person who accelerated that derail made any acknowledgement of trans people and their feelings.

It's fine to be bringing multiple points of view to the table. It's not fine to bring your views to the table in a way that set you up as clearly unable to be convinced by evidence of any sort or that set up your feelings as always more valid than everybody else's.

I think lesbian, gay and multisexual folks have a lot of work they really need to do on educating themselves. The safe space principle is being abused here by people trying to use it as a shield so that people aren't allowed to call them out for offensive things they say without doing any research on what they are talking about whatsoever.

#21 Pret Allez, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. BudderMC

The idea of safe space (to me at least) is that nobody is under fire for who they are, viewpoints inclusive, so long as it isn't offensive towards anyone else. So yeah, for people who do respect the ideals of a safe space it becomes a bit of a problem when you're on the receiving end of offensive content because you don't want to retaliate. On the other hand, the first person shouldn't have said anything offensive in that case to begin with.

I think again the best way to handle this is to simply report anything offensive (or something that you feel could get out of hand really quickly - lets us get a jump on things) and then the staff can take care of it. It's not that you all aren't capable of defending yourselves, but rather that if the staff is aware there's a problem and we can intervene, we can likely do so with net less feelings getting hurt.

It's a case of "two wrongs don't make a right".

3. J Snow

Well I don't even see the sexual abuse thing as the problem. It was state mental like "if you are born with a penis you are always going to be a man and should use the bathroom of men. Gender and sex are binary. Intersex people are defects, and I don't choose to be gay but you choose to dress up." I don't know if you saw the removed posts but I just want to make sure you realize what it is the trans community here was truly upset about. It wasn't just a disagreement on rape prevention.

4. June Cleaver

I don't think much of it. Gay guys never seem to to want much to do with me so it is just what I have come to feel as normal. That is why I just ignore it and go on. After all almost all of my life I was told I was gay and could never figure out why I did not fit into the gay community or get a gay boyfriend. I think I in the past drew no attention to the fact I am a woman because I wanted to be accepted as gay to fit in. In my case I was not ashamed, I thought all gay guys were like me, really women in mens bodys. I wish to God I had known I was trans 25 years ago so I could have gotten my body fixed. I agree we should be proud of who we are and be more vocal so the young ones get a chance to figure it out early enough. Not at 40 like me.....:bang: June

5. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to say that if anyone has any ideas for a trans-awareness projects, I'd be happy to help any way I can. :slight_smile:

6. Minx

Speaking as someone who used to moderate/administrate a small lgbt chatroom. If you feel violated, immediately report the post in question and pm a mod. (This ability is available to everyone.)

The staff doesn't have eyes everywhere, especially in a place as active as EC.

Even I didn't know the thread derailed as much as it did, and I'm an avid reader of all threads throughout the day and night.

If someone is really rubbing you the wrong way, if you feel slighted personally - Report said post/poster and ignore them while continuing the discussion onward.

Someone may have an abrasive personality, a varying perspective. Is that reason to always come at them? Dismiss them from here? Probably not, if they're adhering to the rules and policies.

There's always a lot happening behind the scenes to keep this place functioning. :slight_smile:

So, prioritize these actions and results will ensue more swiftly. :grin:

7. J Snow

Just noticed that my auto correct was being screwy. Instead of state mental I meant statements.