1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

torn rib cartilage because I'm irresponsible

Discussion in 'Anonymous Support and Advice' started by Anonymous, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Anonymous

So I may or may not have worn two binders over each other for about 12+ hours for a few days in a row...I thought the pain I was having was normal binding pain until I noticed that the pain wouldn't go away and I heard clicking when I breathed too hard. I also recently noticed that the right side of my ribs stick out a bit more than the left side (even though they were perfectly even before I started binding) so the bones have definitely shifted somehow. I think I've torn some cartilage because I don't see bruising and it's not broken-rib-perforating-lungs type pain. I'm not sure what to do about it because I'm a minor living in a very transphobic household so hospital is out of the question. Would trying to realign my ribs myself be that awful of an idea too?

2. actualdust

I don't feel qualified to try to give you advice, but maybe try getting access to like, professional medical counsel online could steer you in the right direction? If this gets worse, you may have to come up with a lie to tell your parents about the cause of your injury and get to a hospital. Best of luck either way, I hope you feel better.

3. Anonymous

You need to go to a doctor or to the hospital. Come up with a lie about how you injured yourself, and stick to it. Do not try to realign your own ribs, don't bind until you're healed, and don't bind with two binders at once again.

4. WMM

WMM

Your ribs can be damaged, or should I say anyone's ribs can be damaged, in many ways. Perhaps you fell on a chair when running across a room. You don't remember that? I suppose the bruising should show. Maybe it was a couple weeks ago, and you just didn't want to bother anyone.

Ribs are fairly mobile. Too mobile for you to take any chances with trying to move them yourself, that's for sure. Especially if they are injured. Don't do anything yourself.

See a doctor.

Be well