1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomorrow I'm coming out to my gf as trans...advice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MusicIsLife, Aug 22, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

It's weird, all this week I've had really bad anxiety towards even the thought of telling her, mostly out of fear that she's going to get really mad and tell everyone, but now having made the decision, I feel really calm.

However I would like some advice of a way to come out to her so that she may not get as upset, if at all?

2. Absentminded

I'd suggest maybe easing into a conversation about it, not outright telling her at first. Maybe just find some way that's not going to outright say "I'm trans" right off, but something trans-related, and then after you get how she feels about the whole thing, figure out where to go from there.

It's not an easy subject to handle for some people, so you may want to make sure you know her views before telling her. Also, if you're not comfortable with a lot of people knowing quite yet, you'll definitely want to make sure she's accepting before you tell her, this way you can do things at your speed, and not at the speed of gossip.

Good luck! I hope things go over well!

3. Eleanor Rigby

I think that in any couple, the most important thing is communication. I think the best thing is probably to be as honest and clear about how you feel as you can. Let her know how you came out to yourself as transgender, and how you feel about it. And also, let her know how you feel about her. I think it's important that she knows that you love her and have been honest with her about your feelings.
    I hope that she will respond in a positive way to your coming out, but keep in mind that it may be a shock at first and that she may need some time to get used to the idea. So don't be too disapointed in case things are not going to well, what matters is that you're honest with her.
    Of course, I never had to handle a situation like yours, so if anyone has some advice and more experience than I am, feel free to listen to them instead of me :wink:
    And let us know how things are going.
    I wish you good luck, (*hug*) Cécile