1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told My Sister!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Ri Dupont, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Ri Dupont

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sooooooo...... I've been out as a lesbian to all of my friends and anyone who went to my middle school during my 8th grade year for 2 years now and I've been super hesitant with my family. My mom seems okay with LGBTQ+ people, but of course there are mixed messages and my stepdad could easily be considered homophobic (less of the "they shouldn't marry" type and more of the "casually uses the word gay in a negative way" type). My older sister on the other hand is in her college's GSA, in a group related somehow to Stonewall, and has a pride flag sticker on her frequently used computer, so I figured I'd give it a shot. But, as usual for me, I needed a plan. First, I had to think of a way to bring up the subject. I settled on mentioning her being in the GSA and go from there. Next, I had to figure out a time when she'd be alone. My sister and I stay up to around 2-3:00am during the summer so I knew that I had a better chance of approaching her at night. I decided 11:00pm would be fine. Lastly, I spent the next 2-4 hours freaking out over what I was going to do. When the time came, I opened her door and carefully closed it (But not before walking up to her door and wimping out multiple times).
    I said, "You're in the GSA, right?"
    Her response was " Yeah...why?"
    After an awkward silence she said, "You're gay aren't you?"
    I said, "Yes." and she told me, "Okay. Bye."
    I went back to my room and we haven't talked about it since, though she has subtly saved me from my mother's questions (Often involving who I might marry in the future). I've made some hints to my mother ("She's cute!"), but I don't plan on coming out to her anytime soon (Maybe when I'm 21 or so). For now, she still thinks that my sister is the gay one, even though my sister has consistently denied this, and I just think, "Wrong one, Mom. Wrong one."