1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of the closet, but petrified of opening the door.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SimpleMan, Mar 26, 2013.

1. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I am going to try to get this all out before I chicken out. Grab some popcorn. It's a long one...

The first sign I was gay? The first "gay" memory I have goes back to first grade when I admired an eighth grader at the small religious school I attended. The thing I remember is not admiring how cool he was, but how nice his legs looked when he was wearing shorts. At the time, I obviously didn't have any concept of gay vs. straight. As far as I knew, I was just looking up to an eighth grader.

Pretty sure I had a "crush" in second grade on another guy in my class. I remember not feeling noticed by him, and even one day marching up to him and saying, "Why do you hate me?" The kid had never said anything bad about me in his life, and it left him flabbergasted.

I remember really starting to feel like I was an outsider in fourth grade. This is partly due to learning differences and anxiety issues beginning to assert themselves. (These went undiagnosed until I got to college and sought help.) I also was teased and called the "cootie boy" in my class, by another boy who ended up coming out of the closet when he was in college. Unfortunately, many other kids in my class latched onto this and perpetuated it for two or three years.

In retrospect, it got better in middle school. Not singled out by my classmates, but not really included either. I got along ok with everyone in my class, but I wasn't really friends with anyone. Whereas other kids would hang out with each other after school, I never really had that. This helped to solidify my "otherness" in my own mind.

In 7th grade, I had a crush on a girl who I was in a regional choir with. We would carpool together with two other kids. Looking back on it, she was one of the first people to seem friendly to me without any reservations. We weren't great friends, but she showed a kindness and an interest in what I had to say that I didn't get from my peers. I attribute my attraction to her at that time to the fact that my hormones were raging and to the fact that I had no concept of the fact that I could be gay. I remember not understanding why the guys found other girls in my class attractive. I wrote it off as having been in a small class with them so long that I just didn't see them that way. At the same time, I definitely had low self-esteem and often fantasized about becoming other guys and getting off on those fantasies. Tellingly of course, all those guys happened to be attractive.

I had one other crush on a girl in high school. I was in a public school at this point. Again, it was another girl who seemed to value me for the person I was. She did have a crush on me at the time, but I was way too scared to ever do anything about it. Thankful, I did not. She ended up being a good friend to me while I was in high school. In retrospect, I know now I just would have hurt her. I would fantasize more about achieving "the American Dream" with her than focused on any aspects of her anatomy. And again, I wasn't attracted to any other girls in my school. It was definitely at this point that I noticed a strong reaction within myself when looking at certain guys. I struggled with those reactions through high school and college. During college is when I finally admitted to myself that I liked guys. I didn't come to terms with the fact that I liked ONLY guys until my 5th year of undergrad.

When I went to college, I got really involved with a religious group because that's what I knew. It was easier to make friends there than elsewhere. Also the church where this group was located was the most liberal church within this increasingly conservative denomination that I had ever been to. There were even a few people there who were gay, but didn't really speak one way or another as to whether they acted on it. I was still deeply closeted, and too afraid of losing friends and my community. In my mind, I was bisexual so I could just hide it and no one would ever have to know. I now know that what I considered to be the feeling of "God" was just a strong sense of belonging to a group and being wanted. (I currently consider myself agnostic bordering on atheistic at times.)

In that 5th year of undergrad, I admitted to myself that I was gay. I just decided to fore-go any relationships, and hope no one noticed. That shame pushed me away from that church and that group ironically. While liberal, the teaching of the church was still firmly that homosexuality is "intrinsically disordered". I just couldn't see how anyone would want to be friends with me gay or straight. I felt like a complete screw up between this and my struggles in school.

I worked for a year teaching outdoor ed at a religious camp in that same denomination. (I had worked there several summers previous. This place again appealed to me because it fell on the more liberal side. (There was even a written policy that no one should refer to anyone else as "gay" in a derogatory manner or ever treat someone who might be gay unfairly.) My coworkers were pretty liberal themselves including one who is pansexual and currently engaged to a transgender man. Even in this environment, I was still too scared to come out.

After I graduated college, (Took me seven years, but I did it!) I was asked to join a foundation I had volunteered for over the year's as a full time staff person. This foundation raised money to cure the genetic disorder I have that my doctor at the time was pretty sure is the cause of my learning issues and possibly my anxiety issues. I accepted the job and moved several states away from home. I found that my coworkers were very progressive, and thought to myself, "Maybe, just maybe I can now get the courage to come out." The longing for companionship and intimacy with another man had grown a lot.

Unfortunately, things went downhill there when new leadership took over the top of the organization before I felt comfortable coming out. I was asked to do something I considered completely unethical by the new leadership that would have required me to stab my coworkers in the back. I resigned as did most of my division after that situation. Things had just become too broken to fix. This also destroyed any of the self-confidence that I had built up that had given me hope I would have the strength to come out. It may sound odd, but it took me over a year to get over leaving that job. I lost a whole community of support for my issues with that genetic disorder.

I moved home and ended up back at the camp for the summer and the fall education season. That spring I achieved a life goal by thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail which was an amazing experience. I hoped I could finally come to terms with being gay, and start to come out to folks through self-confidence gained through the experience, but I just wasn't ready.

Ended up doing odd jobs once back, and yet again I am back at this camp teaching outdoor ed. This time around though, my co-workers this season are very conservative and I am really struggling. I trust working for the directors at the camp as they have a son who is openly gay and good friends who are gay. It's not something they really talk about, but it is clear where they stand. I just wouldn't trust my coworkers to not make a big deal about it or potentially have them leave. I can only imagine it hurting the youth we serve. I am here until August so I have resigned myself to being in the closet at the very least until then. I enjoy the job a lot so that will have to get me through the personal turmoil.

This isn't even including my anxiety about my religious and conservative parents. Financially, I am not in a great situation and am relying on my parents to help me through some tight spots. I am getting hounded by my mom for not being active in the church and she is constantly trying to set me up with women though I get really upset with her when she tries. I've made it semi-clear to her that I will never have a relationship with a woman, but she thinks it has to do with my issues with self-esteem related to my genetic disorder. She will absolutely lose it if she knew I was gay. I am seriously worried for her mental health if and when I finally have the strength to tell her. She is unbalanced and has anxiety/anger issues of her own that she will not seek help for. My dad would probably handle it better, and I know my sisters would be supportive. They would just be mad at me for denying it when confronted about not dating any women.

So this is where I am at. I couldn't come out until September at the earliest and only if I have a long term stable job to fix my financial issues. I still highly doubt I will come out then. The anxiety has controlled me for so long, I often question whether I am capable of being honest about this part of myself. I want to be honest though. I am almost 28 years old and I haven't even had a chaste kiss. The shame of being so incredibly sexually repressed is overwhelming when I think about it, and adds to the anxiety. I just don't know how to overcome it. I want to believe I can, but I just don't know.

#1 SimpleMan, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. Dalmatian

Hi! :slight_smile: Welcome to EC! I'd say you are in the right place to get some relief and understanding. Just stick around, keep posting and taking part in other threads and you will be amazed how many people like you there are around here.

Now, there is no magic solution to your problems and your situation. But let me try to analyze a bit what you shared.

There are many issues you mentioned. I'd like to start with the last one: coming out to your parents and how that will affect them, especially your mom. The biggest problems in our lives seem insurmountable not because they are hard to deal with or even impossible, but because they present themselves as giant walls crushing on us. The way to deal with such a huge load is to approach it in stages and with help. So, when it comes to your parents, I'd say you need to realize first that there is nothing that forces you to come out to them. You should do it when you start feeling like you want and can do it, not when you feel pressured into doing it. Second, it seems likely that when you start coming out, it will start with your sisters. So, when you come out to your parents, you will have help and support.
    More than anything, though, as much as we all love our parents and as much as it hurts us to hurt them, we are the ones who need to realize there's nothing wrong with being gay and the whole turmoil of coming out shouldn't even exist. Our parents' pain is real, but its causes are false. In the light of that, we have to endure.
    So, one step at a time. Once you start coming out, which will be at your own time, not before you don't feel ok with it, you can start with your sisters, then you dad and finally mom. At each step you can get some support for the next one. Actually, just knowing someone else knows means a lot.

Second, the job issue. It's not odd at all to be shaken by this. It was a place where you were happy with yourself and where you started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. When that all was yanked out of your hands, it's natural that you felt the loss and mourned it. In that, you are also not alone. Last year I resigned in a company which was going downhill for almost a year, following also some ethically very questionable activities. In everything that happened I lost the job I liked, I lost my trust in the good nature of people and I lost those who I thought were my friends. Most of all, I got separated and grew apart from a friend who was more than a friend (nothing sexual), who I got to depend on and who single-handily did more for my self esteem and self acceptance than anyone ever. So, when it comes to falling into pits of depression over a job, I know a thing or two about that.
    So, no, that doesn't sound odd. Taking a full year to get over that, if you need that time, is perfectly fine. Don't get stuck in that state, that's all. But give yourself as much time as you need. Being on this job you like is probably a good medicine.

Finally, sexuality. You've obviously come out to yourself. I take it that now there is no doubt in your mind anymore that you are gay. Then, allow yourself to accept that. Say to yourself, aloud, "I'm gay". The fact that you never came out, to anyone, is significant; you lived in different places, met very different people. For example, these four major groups of people you mentioned: those from your hometown, those from the camp, the ones in the city "a few states away" and those around the Appalachian; they are all, I imagine, completely separate from each other, completely independent in terms of possible coming out. So, if you never spoke to anyone even as you knew you were gay, that seems to me that you can't accept yourself. And that is a crucial first step.

For the start, it would probably be beneficial if you talked with an openly gay person. That camp boss's son or others around are a good start. You don't need to come out. You can simply ask "what's it like to be gay?". You can have an honest talk with them, betraying nothing but curiosity.
    Then, you can search for a therapist. Just being able to talk freely to someone will change the effects of your thought on being gay. At the moment it pains you; with time it should just become the accepted, normal part of yourself.
    You could think about coming out to your sister(s). See if you can have complete confidentiality, assurance that coming out will be your decision and just explain that you need support. That you need to know that someone who loves you, loves you for everything you are.
    Also, being active here will help. It will allow you to see you are not alone; there are so many people struggling with the same or similar problems. Some are "ahead" of you, some "behind". Through their own questions and answers you can find you are beginning to see a clearer picture. And in any case, to have a place to go to to "be gay" is awesome :slight_smile:

Anyway, welcome once more, stick around, it gets better :wink: It will all be ok :thumbsup:

Oh, and yeah... when you write a wall of text, you get a wall of text :grin: So there.

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2013 at 10:38 AM ----------

Right, I forgot another thing. The thing about sexual experience. Obviously, no matter their sexuality, many people have no or very little experience for the longest time. Around here, you will see there are lots of people who are far older than you and are just starting to realize their sexuality. That's perfectly fine. There are no "achievement unlocked" stages of our lives. Imagine if you had one sexual encounter sometime back in your teens, some crazy mix of improbable events that got you in bed with someone, ten years ago. That would completely change how you see yourself today, right? But it was a one-time, a decade ago event. That makes no sense.. it's all in the head :wink:

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Closer to the 50's than I want to admit and never kissed a woman. Sigh. Be patient and you will find the right guy. Nothing wrong with being old fashioned and waiting for the right guy. Think about it that way takes the pressure of yourself. I can get myself worked up to a major anxiety attack on record time if I let myself. (often) I 2nd the therapist idea. Drive to another town if necessary. Many therapists list their specialties online. Its scary but I feel so much better. Lighter. Coping better. Read Dalmations post a couple of times. I did. Helpful stuff! Hugs and Welcome.

4. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. They will probably be the last to know. I definitely know a couple of my sisters suspect. I am at a point if they were to directly ask me, I don't think I could lie again. They haven't asked in several years though. In the rest of my life, transparency and honesty are really important to me. It drives me crazy that my fear hasn't allowed me to be transparent and honest about my sexuality.

Thanks. I was good friends with my direct boss, before through my volunteering, and we still remain good friends. (He resigned as well.) He and his wife even put me up for a few months while getting settled out there. I am pretty sure he suspects. Based off a conversation we had a year and a half ago, I am pretty sure the ball is in my court to admit it when I'm ready. He's very supportive of gay rights and gay people as he never really got to know his uncle as a kid because of his mother's fear. I always have a place to stay with them.

Still really hard to say it aloud. Wish that previous sentence wasn't true but it is... Just have to keep working at it. I changed some lyrics to a song on the radio last night as I was driving home to visit my parents for a few days. Cheesy I know, but I could at least sing it loud when I've only been able to say it softly to myself. :slight_smile: While I wouldn't hesitate to support my friends who are openly GLBTQ in their right to live their lives as who they are, I have a long way to go on how I feel about myself and my own homosexuality. (Even just writing that last sentence gives me a pang of anxiety.)

Probably not a good idea on the boss's son. He is in a not so great place. He is very bitter at the world. The few interactions I do have with him via social media are focused on how the world sucks. However, there are at least a dozen people in my life who I know would be supportive. I forgot to mention this, but my degree is in theatre. Yeah, crazy that I'm still not out with that... I was always kind to everyone in my department, and if asked voiced my support for gay rights. I kind of missed the social boat as I didn't declare within the program until the beginning of my third year of college. I was invited once to a party, but after that never was again. This may be surprising to some, but I have many friends from the Appalachian Trail who I know would be supportive too.

I feel stuck on this. Definitely not something I can afford though I wish I had one. Went to one in college for half a year until the free counseling sessions ran out. Even then, I couldn't admit to the therapist that I was gay. I was more focused on my academics and my feelings of no self-worth related to my undiagnosed learning/anxiety issues at that time. In retrospect, being gay was obviously tied up in those feelings as well. I currently live and work a half hour from a very gay friendly college town so I know there has to be some sort of options there. I also have some issues with seeing myself as an attractive man to other men. That is something I need to work on as well.

My oldest sister is bisexual, but is also the most immature. I don't trust her to keep it a secret unfortunately. On top of that, she has more problems of her own that make this small potatoes in comparison. The one I would feel most comfortable telling is the one who has the least clue. She still tells me I'll find a woman some day and that just serves to push me further in the closet. I do know we are all supportive of gay rights based off our conversations not around our parents. Still, it will take me a while to come out to them. As mentioned before, I do have some underlying anxiety issues that have been present since I was young. I am just not very good about advocating for myself or putting myself first. Even when it is a medical issue.

Thanks!

I wouldn't expect any less. :icon_bigg

Again, thanks! I think I just need to hear that a lot more for me to really internalize that it is ok to be where I am.

5. rmc

rmc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My case is similar to yours, but i am 22. Try making friends who are like you, this is the right place. Being ashamed of yourself is terrible, i am also like that, but try talking to your sisters, they seem the best persons you can tell... Hope it gets better, add me if you wish to talk

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The general rule I have is that if coming out will greatly threaten your safety or economic situation, there's no harm in waiting. The point being, of course, that you should work on getting to a point where coming out WON'T threaten your safety or economic situation. :slight_smile: And so long as you're pointing in that direction, then I don't see any problem. Feel free to use us as your support until you ARE at that position.

Lex

7. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Lexington. That's the goal.

I mentioned elsewhere that all the red and white popping up on Facebook today has been uplifting. It gave me a minor heart attack to do it, but I changed my profile picture in solidarity. I still removed the "story" from my timeline though. That was a bit too nerve wracking for me. At least it's a baby step.

Still got a few likes on the picture. I am using my friends posts in support of marriage equality on FB to help make a list of all the people in my life who will almost certainly support me when I do finally come out. Hopefully that will help me overcome some of my anxiety.

#7 SimpleMan, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013