1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for basic weight training?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheHesitantAlien, Jul 8, 2016.

1. TheHesitantAlien

I've recently been given a set of weights (two single-hand 4.5kg weights), and I'm looking to build up some mass, in particular on my pectorals and biceps. Does anyone have any suggestions of what particular exercises I can do to aid this?

2. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Um, 10 pounds won't most likely result in massive gains; still it can be an important stepping stone. From my experience using the weights in conjunction to something like zoomba should build up the strength. If your looking into serious training you may need to just get adjusted with about 100 reps per day every other day.

For those specific muscle groups maybe just resistance training. For instance 10 pounds to then 15 to then 20 to then 25 etc. I've been doing that since I was like 5 and now I can use the 50 pound ones. That took years, and patience; ultimately to bulk up, you will need years and patience.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're going to need more weight. Lighter weights can help you build tone and loose fat, but pure strength training takes more resistance.

You can work pecs just by doing push ups. Lots of push ups. Biceps are just curls, but 4.5kg won't be good for long. Focusing on just two muscle groups isn't the ideal way to work out, you really need to work all of your muscles. There are a zillion at home work out vids, some better than others that would help you get started.

4. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, 10 lb dumbbells really aren't going to help you put on any sort of mass. You could do lateral raises with them but that's about it.

I'd recommend in getting a gym membership or investing in a cheap barbell, power rack, a set of plates, and an adjustable bench. After that start a weight training program. I recommend 5x5 programs for beginners.

As for putting on mass...every guy who starts working out wants bigger pecs and biceps, so they train those muscle groups and neglect training other areas. Don't be that guy. You'll develop muscle imbalances and hurt yourself.

As for what you can do right now if you can't afford a gym membership or barbell set...If you don't have one already, buy a chin-up bar. They're dirt cheap, just buy one. A cheap sets of adjustable dumbbells is optional.

Start out by working out three days a week, allowing at least one day of rest in between. (Mon, Wed, Fri, for example.)

Taking 1-2 minutes between all sets (except abs, take no rest for abs), do the following:

Squats/Squat jumps - 3 sets

Lunges - 3 sets

Push-ups - 3 sets

Decline Push-ups - 3 sets

Pull-ups/Chin-ups - 3 sets (do pull-ups if strong enough)

If you have an adjustable pair of heavy dumbbells, Dumbbell Rows - 3 sets of 10

Lateral Raises - 3 x 10-20

Crossover Crunches - At least 30 each side

Side Crunches - At least 20 each side

Reverse Crunches - at least 15

Windmills - at least 10

Plank - 1 minute

I didn't specify any reps for most bodyweight exercises, as it really depends on how strong you are. I'd try starting out with 20 rep sets with squats, 10-15 reps with lunges, 10-15 reps with both push-ups, and 8-10 reps with pull-ups/chin-ups. These are just guesses however. You may find that you're much stronger on some exercises than others. Increase or decrease the reps at your discretion. Just try to make slow progress. Equally, I gave my best guess for abs. Some people have naturally really strong abs for no apparent reason, and may only find that mildly challenging. If that's the case just increase the reps or number of sets you do. If on the other hand you find it really difficult, focus on trying to reach the reps specified.

Also, there are all sorts of things you can do to add more resistance to most of those exercises; from holding weights to using resistance bands.

#4 Stoccata, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016