1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing and Options

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by L8bloomer, Mar 18, 2019.

1. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I’ve come to the point where leaving my husband is more of “when” than “if.” I love him dearly and he’s my best friend, but I’ve accepted that I’ll never be able to love him the way he loves me and deserves to be loved in return. And l’ll always feel like I’m suppressing some part of myself while I’m with him. Both our careers are in a state of flux right now, with me hating my job and looking for a new one and him trying to find a job in a new field after going back to school. Our kids are young (9 and 6) and I love our neighborhood and the schools here. When is the best time to separate? Do I talk to a divorce attorney soon? Do I look for a short-term apartment nearby? I would be fine with him staying in the house, with the kids going with us both (it’s an older house with a big yard and a lot of upkeep, and I know I couldn’t do it all). Just trying to get some ideas of actual logistical options...

Butterfly6 and beenthrdonetht like this.
  2. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I resonate with all the things that are running through your mind. I just came out to my husband this past week and before doing so weighed a kitbag if options including if I should speak with an attorneys first, what living situation I would prefer etc... it’s tough because you do not know how he will respond and therefore how you will ultimately navigate the relationship after telling him you want to separate. In some ways you will have to follow your gut. A lot of people recommend seeing an attorney or wishing they had afterward but again it’s what you feel is best. It’s food to be prepared for all possibilities. Maybe at the very least make sure you have copies of all the financials, bills, statements etc so if he is aggressive with terms you will have all the info saved for yourself. Think about what you want but it will also depend on what he wants. You might want to co-parent or nest with the home but he may not want that.

I’m at the very beginning of all this as I just told my husband this past week... we are not talking about separation right now and focusing on figuring out how I can explore and validate what I’m going through so I’m not sure what will happen for us. He’s trying to be there for me but also recognize at any time he can say it’s enough and want to end the relationship.

Good luck!

L8bloomer and Drizzle like this.
  3. Butterfly6

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ladies how do you know you are truly making the right decision? I'm sort of scared here. When I'm not thinking of women, I'm thinking of men or my husband - sex, building a life, etc.

Since we haven't been intimate for the last few months mostly due to him (long story about birth control and me being pregnant). I'm starting to long for him.

But when I think I'm gay I lose my desire completely. Sometimes I wish he would just leave me so I could figure this out.

Etereo, AJ2018 and L8bloomer like this.
  4. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks @Elle993! My husband already knows this is an issue; he just doesn’t know I’ve come to a decision. Life goes on and we go about our daily routines with the kids, etc... making repairs to the house, talking about vacations, etc. It’s not NOT authentic for me, as I do plan to be with him in the short term. I think maybe I will talk to a lawyer just to get a better idea of options. I’m not concerned about him being aggressive or anything like that... I expect he’ll be angry but mostly sad. And that is what breaks my heart the most.

As for you exploring and validating... what does that look like? Have you thought about that? My husband always knew I was bi and I told him about 2 years ago that I really wanted to explore that side of myself... he was fine with that, until I told him a year ago that I might be more into women. Since then it’s been a tense and sad roller coaster. I wish you luck - my only suggestion would be to talk through the parameters of your exploring and try to be honest with your husband (though it may be merciful to spare the more intimate details)...

5. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As I just mentioned to @Elle993, this has been a 2-year journey for me so far. Really longer, as I’ve identified as bi for all my adult life. Have you considered that you may be bi? Many bi people are into one gender more than the other, and it can fluctuate over time. It certainly sounds like you still have an interest in men, so I’m not sure I would give up on your marriage yet.

As for him leaving you - yes, that would certainly be freeing in a way, but maybe you could find a way to get some space without throwing it all away just yet... could you stay with a friend or relative for a few weeks/months? Or could he? Really more of a trial period. My therapist has been suggesting that for me for a while - I need to get around to it and I may have an opportunity to do so soon (I have a friend/neighbor who will be traveling and needs a long- term housesitter). Just a thought...

Peterpangirl and Butterfly6 like this.
  6. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, part of it is that I no longer have desires for my husband and don't want to be with a man. I have let go of the idea of being bi and have accepted that I don't have sexual feelings for men. I have them for women. It's now the social pressure I'm left to deal with. It is difficult to figure things out when you have an attachment that is important. Things definitely became clearer when our marriage fell apart and I was able to look back on a decade of adult life and realize that I really truly am a lesbian.

Meander and Etereo like this.
  7. TaraSc1315

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ugh. Here's another one in the boat with you all. I too came out to my husband 4 weeks ago. He isnt taking it well. I truly feel like i may be gay. I told him im bi but i think about having sex with women alllll the time and i hate it when he touches me, kisses me, and tells me he loves me alll the time.

I talked to a therapist my mom suggested i see. I tols him how ive been so unhappy all these years and that my female urges are so intense that i cant control them. He said that i need to suppress my urges and desires for women to work on my marriage and that happiness sshould not be my goal. We dont eexperience true happiness until we get to heaven.

He said that my sexuality is a choice and is an addiction like any other addiction that i need to work at suppressing. If i give myself to God, i can find a way to be happy in my marriage and to let go of my desires for women.

I am so struggling with all he said. So im supposed to make others happy at the expense of my own? I am supposed to not live my true self/life because i chose to get married, and now I'm stuck?

God I'm so unhappy.

Meander likes this.
  8. TaraSc1315

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for the grammar errors. typing on phones sucks.

9. Really

Hey @TaraSc1315

Welcome to EC! Lots of good people, advice and support here.

One thing I’d advise is to find a different therapist. Everything he’s told you is incorrect and completely unhelpful. Sexuality is NOT a choice and in no way is it an addiction. If you’re a churchgoer, find one that’s more lgbt inclusive.

Your desires for women sound intense and won’t go away however much you try to wish/pray them away. You are not stuck. There’s always a way to navigate any situation so that you get to a place where your happy and fulfilled.

Stick around. You’ll meet others in similar circumstances. :fish:

#9 Really, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    bravelady, Meander, Drizzle and 3 others like this.
  10. NotTooLoud

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ohhhh, I have been there! I suppressed my urges for so long. Whenever a cute guy walked past me, I would quickly turn my head and check him out -- if nobody was watching! People had to have wondered. My ex-wife said she never knew. I don't know how she could not know. This window salesman came to our house one time, to do a demo, and he was so hot and he was showing me something on this sample window and he was REALLY close, like his nipple was touching me through his shirt, OMG, I thought I might pass out or something!

11. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You need to see a different therapist, one without a religious bent and preferably one who specializes in LGBT issues. No offense but his advice to suppress is not only wrong, but harmful. Gay conversion therapy is banned in some areas now, thank god (though it should be banned everywhere).

I can tell you from experience that living your life to make others happy is near impossible (and I’m a mom too). I’ve done it for the past year and it’s taking a real toll on my physical and mental health. I have a plan and a big part of my issue is timing, but even so - the effort is awful. At some point it’s not even about being happy - it’s about being you, whoever that is.

As for whether you want to work on your marriage, that is a valid question. But not in a way that suppresses you. Joanne Fleisher is a lesbian therapist who came out later in life. She wrote a wonderful book called “Living Two Lives: Married to a Man and In Love With a Woman.” I think you’d get more out of that book - and this group - than what your therapist is telling you. She does suggest examining your marriage, as that is the relationship you currently know best.

All that said, what are your own feelings about homosexuality? Most of us have some internalized homophobia and they say you often need to come out to yourself before you can come out to others. In a way it can be tempting to feel like this is a choice... like, we can just choose the easier straight path. But if it really was a choice, would any of us be here?

Out and In, Meander and Drizzle like this.
  12. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry if I’m repeating...I’ve skimmed through the rest of the thread.

My partner is also studying and looking for a competely new job. I did the same thing a few years ago. My new job is only temporary. I’ve waited for years and the right time has never come. I’m there are better and worse times, but it’s never going to be easy.

Meander, Drizzle and L8bloomer like this.
  13. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a big decision if my ex wife hadn't started a new relationship I would have just stayed in the house and co habit. My kids were 6,10 and 13 when I left. I see them regular but really worry about them. There is no good time to leave. If your both very amicable that helps. We had arguments, I have been moved out 5 months but my children live with mum and her BF lives there. So he sees my kids more than I do! It's very hard. Just try and make it fare on the children and you will both need to show them lots of love.

NotTooLoud, L8bloomer and Etereo like this.
  14. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks all. Unfortunately things are deteriorating. We have other issues besides my sexuality... we had been to counseling and did a lot of work in the past, but I think the resentment we have toward each other is building. He is angry at me and being passive aggressive (which is his thing), and I’m angry that he’s angry - and angry that I’m in this situation - so every thing he does is annoying me. He has every right to be upset, but he’s acting like this is my fault, like I’m choosing for things to be this way. I had hoped we could have an amicable dissolution of our marriage, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. Which is a real shame, because he’s actually a wonderful person and I wish we could support each other. It feels selfish to say that but I can’t be a comfort to him right now with everything I am going through.

NotTooLoud and Meander like this.
  15. regkmc

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, I get that. I think it’s just anger at what feels like an unsolvable situation. Nobody knows what do to with their feelings.

Meander and L8bloomer like this.
  16. Treehouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I totally understand what you’re going through. This year would be my 30th anniversary. I’ve been struggling with my sexuality for some time and the thought of being intimate with my husband would make me cringe. I told my husband that I’m a lesbian 2 months ago. Luckily he took the news quite well and we are still amicable. We aren’t making any rash decisions right now but we are sleeping in separate rooms so neither of us are uncomfortable with our sleeping arrangements. He’s still in love with me so finds it difficult to sleep beside me and resist temptation but I’m so much happier with these arrangements. I haven’t dated anyone yet but I’ve been honest with him and he knows that I want to experience intimacy with a woman. We’ve agreed to live together until one of us decides it’s time to move on with a different partner. I did have people suggest I go to therapy to try to save our marriage. My husband is my best friend and we seldom argue or fight. There is no amount of therapy that can change who I am in order to save our marriage because the only issue we have is that I’m only attracted to women. I just say that I didn’t choose this. Who in their right mind would choose to be a lesbian and give up a 30 year marriage with their best friend? I’ve accepted that I am who I am and I need to do what’s best for me even if it hurts others. I have been a people pleaser my whole life and have always put my needs on the back burner. We only get one life so I’ve decided to take back control of my happiness. I hope things work out for you.

Out and In, Meander, Drizzle and 3 others like this.
  17. TaraSc1315

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. Your words really help. I really should see a therapist who specializes in lgbt. Suppressing myself.makes me SO imsanely sad and hurt. Also, i feel like a bad role model for my kids. You are right- it is about being you and not so much about being happy.

To stay in my marriage will take so much work and i am so afraid of being miserable. I dont want to hurt my kids, though, so i feel like i am in an impossible position.

Meander, Drizzle and L8bloomer like this.
  18. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you and good for you too! I can really relate to being in a “good” marriage with a lot of love, little fighting (until recently, we had been in a really good place). Things are great, except for this one thing. And for being something that some people go without for long periods of time, it turns out it’s a pretty big deal!

19. L8bloomer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really get that. How old are yours? Mine are 9 and 6. Ideally I’d wait until they’re older, but I also know I’ll be a better mom to them if I’m being authentic. My therapist - who also sees a lot of kids and families - is confident and reassuring that kids are resilient and that they would ok if my husband and I divorced.

I think you kind of need to think about your personal values and what you want your kids to see and remember. That could mean being true to yourself and being brave. Or it could mean being loyal to your wedding vows and keeping your family together at any cost. They’re equally valid, it just depends on your own beliefs. We are all on this journey with you :slight_smile:

Meander, TaraSc1315 and Butterfly6 like this.
  20. TaraSc1315

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Such wise advice. My husband found out about a woman i am seeing, well not anymore, so I've had a rough day dealing with that. I am grieving. But my family thinks i am grieving my potential loss of marriage. But i am grieving my loss of that woman as we grew to have deep feelings for eachother, and for the loss of being my true self. I am choosing, for now, to work on my marriage, give my kids a "stable " family and to be a better person and wife. But that makes SO f ing sad. I am miserable and not sure i am making the right decision. We just moved into a new house in July that neither of us could afford on our own, so not only would the kids have to go through a divorce, but theys also have to move again!! I am in an impossible position. I made too many bad choices, but i just want to be me.