1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time is pressure... I need to decide

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Himo, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Himo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi!

I wrote a post on Jan. 15. 2018 in the sexual orientation threads. Nobody wrote a comment back. I don't know why? Maybe my situation is just too confusing... Maybe there is no solution... Maybe i just wrote too much... Maybe my English is too bad.

I thought, that my chances are eventually better in the "LGBT later in life" threads. Since i am 11 years with my girlfriend (I'm 30), some people with longtime relationships can maybe help and understand better...

I really don't want to force people to write a comment, but i think an other "point of view" could help me a lot...
    Reading some of your story's helped me already.

This is the link to my "problem-thread" / Lifestory:
    https://forum.emptyclosets.com/index.php?threads/30yo-and-still-confused.466888/

2. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, okay so I'm not an expert like at all I'm new year and am not even sure about my own sexuality but you sound so desperate and I just feel I can't not answer you.

I read your story and I think you are quite simply romantically attracted to women and sexually attracted to men. I'm not really sure if you'd call it bisexual or biromantic maybe both?

Anyway maybe you should just tell your girlfriend that, that you're not sexually attracted to her ( or say women in general so as not to hurt her) but that you are romantically attracted to her. Then maybe at another point in time when she maybe processed this you can tell her, if you want as it is the truth, that you are sexually attracted to men yet not romantically so you'd never want to be in a relationship with them.

I don't know if this is of any help maybe a solution is like an open relationship for both of yous to satisfy your sexual needs. It sounds like the logical decision but then again it's not for everyone.

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful, like I said I'm no expert on things of a LGBTQ nature or even relationships in general it's just my common knowledge and I just felt I had to answer you. Good luck...

Wesley007 likes this.
  3. Himo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you so much for your reply! I am not looking for an expert opinion. I am looking for an opinion of an other human being. So thank you so much for it!

I think that you are right with that guess. It's just not so easy for me to accept... Also, the fact, that i see myself only (!) in the "passive/bottom" position with men confuses me. I tended to think: "Men are dominant. I want to be dominated. So it has to be a man. I am not gay... it's just this dominating thing...". As you can guess it's really sexist and just too simple... I begin to realize, that i could be Bi or even gay.

Today i wouldn't even have a problem accepting myself as gay or Bi. It's the fear to make the wrong choice.

This is my fear... I love my girlfriend, but i know she doesn't like LGBT-people. She actually said that. I never cared, because i never saw myself as "not straight". And i personally had never problems with LGBT, but didn't support the community ether...
    So my fear is, that she will leave me.
    Edit: I also told myself a lot the following: "I have very rarely sex. So i get it with men, since it is easier to get. I am not gay. I just need sex"

How could we be together, when she knows, that i think about something else when we have sex?
    I don't see her or me in an open relationship. I think we both would fear, that the other one would find "something better"

But i beginn to understand, that we have to have a discussion about this. I think it's best when i tell her everything... But still... i don't want to write a "i regret everything"-post here :-(.

Thanks again for your response!

#3 Himo, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  4. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Or a " I blame Confoozed for everything" post:/.

Yes the acceptance part is suuuuper difficult especially when it feels it has come on suddenly.
    But I don't think there will be any mistake made if you choose one maybe only when you act upon it.

When you fantasize about these sexual encounters with men do you see yourself as the same you are now? (I just want to make sure there are no transgender possibilities here like if you see yourself as the "female" during the acts). But I guess you don't have to be a female to be in the submissive position.

Do you think a dominant female that can dominate you in bed will satisfy you the same as the dominant men in your dreams? Or doesn't that sound appealing, a dominant female?

I guess another label could be straight but curious and asexual towards females.

If your girlfriend reeeeally loves you don't you think she'll understand especially if she understands it's not that you don't love her?

I thought so about the open relationship thing, even I am not comfortable with that, it just sounded like the most logical solution that fits your situation. But I guess one has to be very secure in your relationship for such exploration and also be a certain minded type of person but I agree it can be dangerous territory.

Yes I guess you'll have to discuss it otherwise you'll be forever feeling trapped and unhappy but maybe start small and slow?

Anyway I'm glad I could have been of any help thanks so much for your appreciation:slight_smile:...

5. Himo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That made me laugh lol. I would never do that.

I like being a man. I don't think to be trangender would fit me.

Not at all. I seem to be really clear with men and women in they're roles. I know a feminist would probably correct me right away... But i can do nothing about it. The image of a woman dominating me in bed (for example with a strap-on or whatever) is very unsexy.

She is very conservative. I think this would be a no-go for her. I even consider breaking up with her after 11 years. Hurting her, and hurting myself. But at the same time, she doesn't have to hear all that. I think a break up without explicit explanation would hurt her less, than knowing, that i am into "bottom-sex" with men.

Ou.... to the gay men (and women too i guess): Are there gay men out there, that like only the "bottom-role" while having sex?

It feels so good to "speak" about that stuff with somebody... This is the first time in my 30 years, that i can do that. I always saw myself as open minded... now i benign to realize, that i couldn't even speak about confusing sex-thought about myself.

6. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Glad you could laugh too:slight_smile:.

Okay I see so no gender confusion just wanting to be dominated got it.

Maybe you should ask yourself if you can see yourself continuing like this, in secret/ unsatisfied, and still be happy for the rest of your life. If you're willing to possibly lose her and perhaps accepting maybe not being completely straight and pursueing men?

What do you think about simply asking her for a "break" from the relationship without saying why, so that you can explore and find out what it is you truly want without feeling guilty you're cheating on her? I mean I feel you're never truly going to know what's going on with you if you don't take the leap, and at least then you don't have to regret breaking up with her as you can return at anytime to her.

Yes I'm sure this must be very freeing for you but I can't help but feel I'm not the person to give advice:/ I mean I'm still young and have no relationship experience. I'm just using my judgement here but once again I'll try and be of as much help as possible:slight_smile:....

7. Himo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is THE question i have in my head every day. And i have still no answer for it. But i am shure it will come... with time. Time, this is the problem. She wants to go a step further. Have a flat, maybe children... Who could blame her (30y old in a 11y relationship)?

It passed my head. But i think this isn't a good solution in our situation. We did some sort of a break, by living seperatly. And i cheated on her with men. 2 times. It just felt wrong. Even in a "break", i think it would feel wrong. I swore to myself, that i would never do that again. Not even in a break.

By reading other opinions, i ask myself questions, that i never asked before. This helps me a lot. I feel like making steps foreward. So thank you for your help :slight_smile:

8. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dude I really don't know. You're in a real pickle I have no idea what else you can do but I hope you'll figure it out and make wise decisions that ultimately won't backfire but make you happy.

I'm glad to be of help, good luck:slight_smile:...

9. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Years ago, when my ex boyfriend and I broke up and I met an older woman and became *smitten* but wasn’t sexually attracted her, my therapist said something interesting to me: most people feel complex emotions to people. It’s not black and white. I began seriously questioning my sexuality when I realized I was emotionally attracted to women. I am not sexually to all women, in fact I am primarily sexually to men, but the connection I feel to women is what I want. I don’t think straight people think about this. They’re systemically programmed to think “heterosexual.”

I know several people who are homoromantic. I think you should be thinking about yourself, what you want, and eventually if you feel your girlfriend fits those wants and needs.

10. Himo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    haha yes i guess so. Thanks for your help.

I red a few posts of you. You seem to have a similar "problem"... the other way arround.

So homoromantic is a person that feels in a romantic way for the same gender. But is sexually atracted to the oposit gender. So then i would be heteromantic?

This is a good question that i can't answer right now. I have the feeling, that everything i would wan't, will hurt my girlfriend... and finaly also me. I don't think she would fit my wants and needs to be honest. Because i think she couldn't understand and wouldn't accept the fact i like sex with men. So i ask myself if i could continue to live like this... and this question is in my head all day...

Can i ask you, how you live it? How can you manage both desires? I know it's really personal question, but i am so curious what solution you found for yourself.

And the answer to this would interest me also very much. I know very little about lesbians (and LGBT in general lol), but there are "butch's" and "lipstick lesbians" right? (sorry when i don't get the terms right. I am really new to this. I try to learn it). Is that a thing too with men? Are there homosexual men or women, that only like one specific role while having sex?

11. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are terms, yes. I’m femme and I tend to be attracted to soft butches, so women who are somewhat masculine with some femininity. I recommend Jack Halberstam’s Female Masculinity, which looks at and transgresses the terms we project onto one another. Sexuality and identity are fluid. You don’t have to identify as anything if you don’t want to. ☺️

12. Himo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with that. But do you live your life with that in mind? Our society is built to live in monogamy. It is manageable for 100% gay or 100% straight people. But how are you doing it if you are Bi? How should i do it? I like to fantasize about sex with men, but like the relationship with my girlfriend. I see no solution for this problem in our community :-(.

You are sexually into men, but you prefer romantic relationships with women. How do you see your future? Did you find a solution?

#12 Himo, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  13. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember that society is conditioned to think and feel certain ways. If you want to do something, then go with it as long as it doesn’t harm you or someone else.

14. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is a joke in San Francisco that there are no enough "tops" because practically every gay man is a "bottom," so your enjoying not being in the dominant position is very common among gay men.

If I were you I would probably break up with my girlfriend if I weren't married and had no kids ... especially after 11 years together and being only 30 years old. It sounds like it's time for you to explore (after all, you've been with the same person since you were a teenager).

if you don't want to tell her why then make up a vague reason ... or just tell her the truth ... Europeans are supposed to be very open minded (ein kleiner Witz fuer dich)!

#14 justaguyinsf, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  15. Cashew

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Himo!
    I read your thread. I thought id write to also say that your story sounds similar to mine.
    I was in a 7 year relationship with a man until I was 31 (4 years ago). I was deeply in love with him for a few years but we also rarely ever had sex which was due to me because I never wanted to have sex with him as I never really enjoyed it. I did however really enjoy kissing and cuddling with him and because of this I still thought I was straight. I was very attached to the relationship as we were very good friends but eventually I realised that I needed more as I want to enjoy sex with the person I am in love with.

I have finally come to the conclusion that I am gay. It has taken a very long time and I thought I might be bi-sexual for a while too. Like you I did not have many 'gay experiences' in growing up. I have come to the conclusion that I was expert at suppressing my gay feelings so much that I really was completely unaware of them until I was in my mid-20's when I started to feel sexual attraction for a lot of women in my life (friends/work) and I realised that I did not have the same feelings towards men.

I always felt romantically attracted to men and still am which confuses me a lot but I think it is just because this is what I have been conditioned by society to want. I also thought for a while that I just wasn't sexually attracted to my boyfriend and that is why I didn't want to have sex but I have tried quite a few times with attractive men since then and I know now that I just do not enjoy it after the kissing and now I realise I just need to stop forcing myself because I'm never going to find a man I want to sleep with.

Over these last few years i have learned that, the more I allow myself my gay feelings , it's a bit like a snowball effect. The more and more women I feel attracted to and the more I can imagine myself romantically with a woman too. I'm still not completely there yet and I am still very attached to the heterosexual life because it just looks so dam easy!! Also I don't have many lesbian relationship models to follow, but I am gradually getting more used to the idea that I will only ever be happy in a relationship with a woman.

I hope you find this helpful.

16. Himo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your posts are VERY helpfull. Specially coming from people that have a certain experiance! THANK YOU!

You made me laugh! But at the same time it insures me. Since i have NO homosexual friends, i didn't know about this "problem". Maybe i should speak a bit more with gay men...

And about your solution: It sounds very simple. And it is. Aaand i think you are right. I am really attached emotionally to my girlfriend and it is hard to break up. But you are right. We are still young and why confusing her and me with something i am not even sure about. Let's find out by experience... without hurting both of us. You are right saying that since we met as teenagers, things can change... a lot. I had a few times this plan in my head. Then we see each other... then i can't do it because i believe i love her (and i think i really do)... then she goes home and i have fantasy's about gay-sex... then i plan breaking up... then we see each other again... it's stressing. I need to make a final step :-(

European are open minded? Hahahaha (guter Witz ;-)). Not where i live and work. My parents are open. But my colleagues and closest friends are clearly homophobic... some in a way it is scary.

Thank you so much for your story. Chances are big, that i am in the same situation as you were, when you were 31. Since i have a lot of homophobes around me, chances are big, that homophobia formed my character. When i think about being romantic with a man it doesn't really appeal to me. But the sex part is. This could indeed be a sign, that i have "a homophobe in me". I still don't know. And because of that i should maybe really break up and find out. Even when i maybe loose the love of my life. Otherwise i would never know, that that confused feeling would dominating the rest of my life. I don't want that...

17. Cashew

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome, I know that it can feel so lonely when you're struggling like this. I think a lot of gay people struggle/have struggled with internal homophobia which helps to suppress their feelings. Lets face it the vast majority of the world is homophobic, this is why we need forums like this!

Good luck on coming to a decision. When I finally got the courage up to break up with my ex-boyfriend, he actually thanked me for doing it because he told me he was not happy in the relationship either but wasn't going to do anything about it. This I did not see coming because I thought he was more into the relationship than me! Now he has married someone else and has a baby - so things definitely turned out better for him.

18. Himo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Exactly. People accept gay's. But i have an insight throw my friends now, on how they really feel about it. It grosses them out... not really assuring :-(.

That's what i hope too for my girlfriend. But she is really attached to me. I fear, that she will have a "break down". This, and the fact that i am still not sure, are my biggest fears. I also realize, that i am very immature in my sexual behaver. I still need to find myself. And my GF is beginning to see a future with big responsibility's... this scares me too... But maybe this gives her the chance to find a man with the same goals.

I always told myself, that i should take a decision, when i am 100% sure about my orientation/needs. But i benign to realize, that i will probably never be 100% sure. And now i am about to risk a wonderful relationship for an answer :-/.

Can i ask you how you realized that you are gay? I mean when i read the posts in the forum, most people know since teenagers that they are gay. And even if they get married they know, but tell themselves that they are bi, or it's a phase... or whatever. I don't understand, that i benign to realize it now... with 30!

19. Cashew

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly don't know what happened to me either and how it took me so long to realise I'm gay. I did have some gay feelings at a very young age but I think I must have suppressed it so much that I totally forgot about it for a long time. At secondary school, I kind of had a feeling that I was different and didn't really feel like I fitted in but I didn't really understand why. I never fancied any girls at school. I never questioned that I was anything other than straight. I went through a long period in my late teens and early 20's not being really attracted to anyone very much and I thought I was just really fussy. It was only in my mid-20's that my feelings for women really started to become apparent to me and when I split up with my boyfriend I told him I was gay but he didn't believe me ( i think now maybe he didn't want to believe me) but then that made me question it again for a while and I kept on trying to meet other men but I just couldn't do it. I also tried to meet some gay women but the lesbian dating scene I'm learning is very difficult to break into so I wasn't very successful with this either.
    1 year ago I went to some LGBT counselling, this really helped me a lot and really helped me to break things down and understand myself better- I would really recommend it if you have access to it in your area.

It's only really in the last 2 years that I have confirmed to myself that I am definitely gay. I think one of the things I realised is that I only find really ascetically good looking men attractive - my ex was very handsome. However, I am attracted to women of all ages/shapes/sizes.

Now that I have accepted this I feel so much happier and at ease with myself and I kind of feel like it's all falling into place now and everything makes sense. Very occasionally I see a good looking man and I start to imagine how great it would be to fall in love and have children but then I have to remind myself that I know that I just would not be happy with that!
    I'm really excited to be part of this new community and I am starting to feel proud of my gayness.
    The only difficulty now is coming out to people, I have told some friends but not my family. I'm slowly working up to this (!!!).

Another resource I have recently found helpful is 'Swtichboard' - an LGBTQ helpline in the UK run by volunteers who are also LGBT. Maybe you have an equivalent helpline your country. Might be helpful to talk this through with someone experienced?

Himo likes this.
  20. Himo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You really help me a lot in the process of understanding how i felt all the years. It feels good, that there are also people, that didn't realize in the younger years "ou... i am gay. Lets date the same sex now".

The think what still confuses me is, that i don't feel attracted to men when i see a handsome guy. I don't think: "ou... this guy is handsome. I want to know him better, or have sex with." I also don't see myself kissing a man or waking up in bed next to a man. At the moment it seems just a sex-fantasy. But as you said, i think that the "inner homophobia" didn't allow me to think romantically about the same sex. I believe... and now i hope a little bit... that the romantic part will follow. I will try to allow myself to think about a romantic life with men.

I searched the internet and found a "hotline" indeed. I will contact them. Thank you very much again for your help. To actually speak about it will help. I am sure.

Now i just need to find a way to break up... and this rips my heart apart :-(

Cashew likes this.