1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three Successful Outs and a WTF

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by VampConspiracy, May 11, 2011.

1. VampConspiracy

The fight within my soul is over now. It took a long time for me to even believe that I wasn't quite straight, even after years of feasting my eyes on other men. However, that's only part of the struggle.

Some time ago, a month or two ago, I decided to come out to a good fellow student that's (not technically) part of the little community college engineering group. It took five hours of warm-up - I haven't really even said the words aloud to myself yet - to finally squeeze in enough courage to just freakin' say it. He wasn't even a "friend," per se, just a very good person to talk to. That exchange ended on a positive note. Something about society being more accepting to that sort of thing or something. I'm not so sure about that, but our little microcosm, as I would soon learn, is more open-minded than I would have ever thought possible.

A couple of nights later, a very good friend - a fantastic friend - dammit, there aren't enough words in the English language to describe how good of a friend this guy is - texted me (yeah, this is the toolies, no call quality here!). I decided to bring it up with him, and I'm glad I did. He gave me the confidence to eventually come out completely.

Then the WTF moment happened, which still isn't quite resolved. See, my mother and I, while our relationship isn't bad, isn't great, either. Stagnant would probably be the word here. I couldn't muster the courage to say anything to her face, so I did it over facebook. Either she didn't read it, thought I was a big fat liar, or seriously doesn't mind, so much so that not a word was said about it. I still don't know what she truly thinks, but since that's been a month ago and I still have all my blood and body parts... who knows.

The final person I really talked to about my orientation was the other good friend of mine. I finally blurted it out to him, and he said that he didn't mind and it actually strengthened our bond since I told him.

Now that all the people I actually give a crap about know, I'm pretty open about it, especially within the engineering group. A few more chains smashed asunder, I suppose.

2. MercuryLampe

Congratulations!! It's great that your friends and acquaintances are accepting!
    I'm not sure what to say about your mom, though... Maybe she honestly didn't see the message on Facebook, so maybe you could bring it up casually, when she seems like she's in a good mood?

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on telling your friend and your mom!

If it bothers you that she hasn't said anything then feel free to bring it up with her. Even if it has been a while since you sent it :slight_smile: