1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Troye Sivan?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ECMember, Sep 22, 2019.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I read a New Yorker article on Troye in late June/july issue and got a bit of some background on him. I mean he portrays himself as gay but he dresses gender fluid if you seen pics of him.

I mean he has the White twink flamboyant vibe when he's on stage.

I mean is Troye a decent representation of queer youth or he's just a representation of White queer youth?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's a representation of someone who has made a career of seeking attention on Youtube. He doesn't represent anything mainstream.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So much this.

The guy knows how to get attention. I have seen a couple of music videos and what not; there is nothing that would say to me that he is talented in a big way (though I can see why some would like his music, performances) or that he has something that would represent queer youth. In some respects, he is helping to perpetuate stereotypes from what I have seen.

Let me add that sure he is popular because he has a following and people know it will bring in viewers and money. And that's what sadly is used to measure the success of something. All in all, I don't think he is a good representation of queer youth.

4. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, one can be a boorish, ignorant asshole and a horrible human being and STILL have millions of Youtube or Instagram followers IF one is attractive. Logan Paul is a great example of that.

Troye does not seem to be an asshole in any way. But I doubt anyone would pay attention to him if he were an ordinary, somewhat overweight gay guy with acne and a buzz cut.

It's really sad, but society has become even more shallow than it already was with the advent of Youtube and Instagram.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm ignorant with LGBT gay culture but at the same time also kind of surprised with the other comments. I didn't pay attention to him during his Youtube days. While he isn't an amazingly talented singer or instrumentalist, you have to give it to him (or somebody) for being able to craft catchy music that is mostly generic but mildly different.

Is at least a bit of his success due to him being white and good/decent looking? Hell yeah, probably. I don't watch much LGBT youtube and can't say I'm very familiar with most of them. But honestly to me he seems a lot more genuine and less dramatic than other LGBT people, like James Charles or Davey Wavy.

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't disagree with that at all. In the couple of interviews I've read/seen, he does seem pretty down-to-earth and definitely less dramatic that Davey Wavy (I'm not that familar with James Charles). The unfortunate truth is, though, without being cute, nobody'd pay attention, and he wouldn't stand out from the crowd.

7. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Logan Paul burned a bridge with our community when he said "Oh....I wanna go gay for a month...." Logan, you need to put down the bong pipe and never say that again from your lips buddy.

8. Ryu

Ryu

He’s sooooo hot but I don’t like his music for the most part, I think it’s fairly bland pop imo

Except 1999 with Charli xcx which I think is a masterpiece