1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on astrology and star sign attraction

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tigermud, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Tigermud

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'm a leo. The current girl I'm dating is a pisces. We get along so so well.

It's weird cause most of the girls I've ever liked/vibed with are mostly pisces.

In general astrology leo and pisces are very compatible for each other as lovers.

Not saying this is all believable, but I'm just taking notice of what I've experienced.

2. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am Leo too. That's just good for having fun, As I see it.
    Neither scientific nor hateful.

3. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do tend to really click with those I have sun sign compatibility with. Like I have bonds with these people like no other. And I also tend to clash with those I’m not compatible with. For what it’s worth though. I don’t ask that when meeting someone but usually find out at a later date.

4. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think its all a load of bollocks. That's probably why I'm single.

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean no disrespect, but I find it weird that in 2020 people still believe the position of stars and planets influence their personality. I even see some people who (correctly) dismiss the lie of "flat Earth", but then two seconds later they are saying they believe in astrology. Both ideas are completely absurd in my point of view. People are constantly trying to find coincidences and distort facts to justify their beliefs in these things.

When I see someone saying "Oh, I can't date that guy/girl because he/she is <random sign>", I can only see prejudice in that phrase. Like, are you seriously judging someone based on this?

There are also people who use astrology to mask their own problems, instead of trying to learn and improve. "Oh, I was a bit rude towards that person, but that's not my fault, my sign is <random sign>!". Uhhhh... no, if you were rude that's your own fault. Don't try to blame planets and stars for your behavior and your choices.

Now, yes, I think everyone is free to believe in whatever they want. However, I do think astrology only creates problems and excuses for behaviors and judgements that shouldn't be excused, and I don't buy the idea of "Oh, I don't really believe it, it's just for fun, but...." . I had friends and colleagues who said those things and... well, turns out they were really serious about it, and don't consider it "just for fun".

6. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I view it as a bit of harmless fun, but looking at my experiences with people of different signs, it may be true to some degree. As a Sagittarius, I've found that I cannot stand almost anyone who is a Pisces - they annoy the living hell out of me in many different ways (bad timekeeping, annoying personalities, drama queens, easily offended, loud, attention seeking etc). This is true for several Pisceans that I've met. Apparently Sagittarius and Pisces are one of the least compatible combinations. Coincidence or not?

Had a very bad friendship experience with a Leo actually a few years back and haven't had much experiences since then, but I like many Leo celebs so maybe it was just one bad apple and I will get on better with other Leos in the future.

As for the other signs, not much opinion either way really. I've encountered many Scorpios and seem to get on well with them, same with my other adjacent sign (Capricorn), and with Cancer (both parents are Cancerians and too temperamental at times though). Always seem to get on with the 3 air signs (probably the most compatible with them and they seem to often be more likely to be gay). Also get on well with fellow Sagittarians.

Very few experiences with Aries, Virgo & Taurus so can't really judge either way there.

Interested to see what signs my future BF will end up being. Open to anything (well, with the possible exception of Pisces!).

I know that many view it as BS and they are probably right but at least it's harmless. :slight_smile:

#6 Joe2001, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  7. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could press the "like" button on this comment, because I agree wholeheartedly.

And its putting people into categories. I can't go out with you because you're a goat and I'm a fish. I can't hang out with them because they're all earth signs, and I'm an air sign, I need to blow around freely with all the other air signs. For fucks sake.

And if you tell someone you don't know what your star sign is, they try to figure it out for you. "I think you're this star sign because you seem to behave in this sort of manner." Try getting to know me by asking questions about my life, instead of making assumptions based on the time of year I was born.

8. Chizu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't believe in it. What I always wondered was, if the position of the planets determines how people are, what happens if you go to other planets? If I go to Mars, will my Virgo energies somehow overload and I'll turn into a Vulcan? Makes no sense.
    I do tend to be interested in everything magic and occult related. I'd like to pay attention to horoscopes just for giggles, but way too many people take it seriously for me to even have fun with it. The fact that people actually limit their dating pool based on the month they're born in is deeply disturbing. Even more disturbing is a trend among (some but not all) feminists claiming scientists reject astrology over sexism (see Vice's article "Why straight men hate astrology so much" or Cosmopolitan's article "Why do men hate astrology"). Marie Curie and Rosalind Franklin must be shaking in their graves.
    The snow atop Mt Fuji melts in the summer now despite being blanketed for thousands of years, Lake Chad shrunk by over 95% last century, coral reefs are dying after bejeweling the oceans for millions of years, and yet Americans were still stupid enough to elect a climate change denier. Now is not the time to be ignorant of science.

9. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have a lot to compare with, but I dated another Capricorn for a while. But to be honest, I don't know enough about each sign's traits to say what I think I'd mesh well with.

Not sure how much truth there is to astrology, but hey! It's certainly fun.

10. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personality astrology is fascinating if you study it beyond just the surface, which is where 99% of people stop, & then mock what they couldn't understand or didn't have the patience to delve into properly.

I would challenge anyone to gather the birth data, including time of birth, of a good number of their friends & relationships of choice, and then take a good, long, scientific, investigative look at the trends they see, there.

[There are trends & patterns of who you attract, like, & who you're attracted to and like - and you will be able to see them. But you're going to have to, most often, educate yourself & observe data beyond just the sun signs.]

11. Cran

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay,
    The truth has been spoken here aaand I find all this "I can't click with such person cause their zodiac sign is such such" a bunch of bs and I feel like most of that is done just to shut other people out‍♀️

12. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never put much stock in any of it.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't hold water many times. If it does, it could be coincidence. We fire signs can get along famously but blowups can be ... well ... fiery. They say we are not compatible with water signs and, to be honest, I've had very few water sign people as friends or romantic interests over the years. Truthfully, I have not gotten along with most water sign people, including a disastrous high school crush whose birthday I found out as an adult.

#13 Tightrope, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  14. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am also a Leo and if I had to judge a group of people based on their signs it would be PISCES, a lot of people I hate (strong word but genuine feelings) are Pisces, for the sake of other Pisces I would like to think that it's just because those people are horrible because of who they are and not when they are born but that's to give you a bit of perspective that not all Leo like Pisces and that what we experience as Leo/any other sign is only anedoctical and not proper science.

I think attaching toxic behaviors to specific signs is dangerous as it normalize it and give room to people not to be responsible for their own action.

I am a Leo yes and maybe I do identify with the sign BUT if I am a dick today it's because I decided to be a dick today not because I am a ''strong-minded leo who take no shit from no one'' even if putting it that way is more flattering.

15. Lalayajen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't believe in Astrology ...but my current BF, my high school crush, both of my college crushes were Gemini. I am Capricorn.

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree and disagree with astrology. I mean it can have some truth to personalities. While I take astrology with a grain of salt, I will say that I’ve been dating a guy for 3 weeks now and I’m a Scorpio and he’s a Cancer and we have gotten along really well so far. :slight_smile:

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is, to put it mildly, inane rubbish.

At its best, it is nonsense. At its worst, it's nonsense used as a justification for abandoning personal responsibility and any attachment to truth.

Familiarising yourself uncritically with the dogma of charlatans might make you very skilled at understanding the dogma but it does not amount to an education. We all can arbitrarily pick data out of nowhere. It's not scientific and it's not a useful way to spend time.

I know it's not really serious but the number of people who are willing to devote time to what's essentially mediaeval tripe is a serious let-down when we're over three centuries into the enlightenment.

18. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Astrology is interesting on some levels, and entertaining. Lol. But accurate, I would say not at all. Haha, I'm a libra and according to astrology my girlfriends sign is one of the least compatible for me.. Although we generally get along just fine and have only been together for almost 9 years. Lol.

19. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I think it's a load of BS. Vague statements so everybody thinks it applies to them.

20. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another thing. If our star signs affect our relationships and friendships, then what about our pets? Do people actually go into pet stores and say "oh what a cute bunny/goldfish/tarantula, but can you tell me it's exact birthday so I can check if we're compatible?"