1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of breaking up because...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by e6000, Oct 17, 2017.

1. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been questioning my gender for a few months now, and for now, I've come to the conclusion that I'm somewhere on the spectrum of nonbinary genders.

My point here is that it's kind of been making me reconsider staying with my girlfriend. I know that I like girls, and she is bisexual, and says that she'd still want to be with me no matter what my gender was, but when I first introduced to her the idea that I thought that I was not a cis girl, she seemed very nonchalant about it, and continued identifying me with feminine nouns and pronouns. I've never told her specifically that I don't want those things to describe me, but even just her referring to me as a girl has felt very... sharp.

I feel like throughout our relationship she has focused a lot on the positive feelings associated with being gay, and if I'm not a girl, that would make it not a similar-gendered relationship, and that seems to be an important thing to her. I don't know if I want to pursue a relationship any further, just on the basis that it won't be what it has been, and I don't know if either of us are capable to put in the high amounts of effort it would take in order for us to figure out what it should be while I'm still trying to figure myself out, and figure out if she's going to be agreeable with it.

2. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m thinking that pronouns would take practice when you are used to using certain ones with a partner. Your gut is telling you that the relationship isn’t feeling right. If it’s just based on what you say above though, I’m wondering if honest communication and a frank discussion about your feelings might help her see what you need. With a little patience and understanding as she adjusts it doesn’t seem impossible to me at all for this to work. It seems she really cares for you from your post.

canadawet likes this.
  3. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm just not sure if she'll think of me as the same person anyways. She has said that she would, but she has also been casually neglectful of my more recent assertions of how I feel about my gender identity. In my opinion, it just seems like a mess of a situation.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you talked to her directly about what you want from her?