1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about my gender identity....

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CharlieLuca, Aug 26, 2021.

1. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi
    I just need to say some stuff and I don't know where else to put it. It's ok if you'd rather not read though. And it is a rather long post so I do get if you give up reading or something.... I, mudekf struggle to read the long posts people write sometimes. So I apologise, for that reason, for my post being long and for saying a lot of stuff.

I currently identify as non binary.
    I didn't really know the difference between androgynous and non binary but I think I am grasping the difference- I believe non binary is when you don't identify as either masculine or femme and androgynous is when your physical identity, like clothes, hair etc doesn't fit the "norms" of femme or masculine representation ... And please correct me if I'm wrong?

A few weeks ago I was seriously debating if I'm transgender but someone said to me something that really hit me hard that I may just be looking for that magic do over (not in those words, but that's how I interpreted) and thst got me thinking. I know that that was partly the reason I wanted to transition (FtM) to start fresh, be a different person which is probably an unrealistic expectation because one life's not like that and two I didn't think about the pros and cons,I just saw pros. but there was honestly a part of me that thought I felt male but now honestly, I don't know what I feel...

I think maybe I am experiencing slight dysphoria because even though I feel like I'm not a woman (I was afab) there's still part of me... I guess that I feel is kinda torturing me.... there's still this niggling voice in me saying I am a woman. I don't want to be. But I am... I look at myself and I have a femme physical appearance... Breasts etc... I did get my hair cut short yes, and I don't wear skirts or dresses but then again I never really have. I don't wear revealing clothing ... Ugh what a thought!
    And as much as I hate to be a woman, I can't help thinking I am. Which I don't want to be. And most people still refer to me as she and that tears me apart inside... Especially when they don't correct themselves. And another confusing thing, one of the people who works with me came in and said "alright my girl " as he always has, and then I think he realised he slipped up so he said "my boy" instead but neither felt right. And he did ask me what he should say, what the right thing to say is but I didn't know! I still don't know.

And when I first came out as non binary I felt empowered and I guess I had a new found confidence but now I feel... Idk.... I guess I feel lost. And broken. And confused.

And sorry, I know many of you are struggling with your own issues so I am sorry, especially if this made you sad or triggered you. Just idk, can anyone relate to what I said?

Thank you for reading, especially if you read all of it.

Ingvermama likes this.
  2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The terms are a bit difficult for me to understand as well. I can definitely relate to you. I don’t feel like a woman either, but in my case everything just fell into place, when I said I am not a woman, this is not real me. Some parts of me are feminine, but I also am masculine. There was this form I had to submit once and on it was asked my pronouns. I didn’t want to say I was female. It didn’t felt right at all. I was so close choosing male, since it’s just a form, but in the end was too scared to put down male, even though I knew it felt right.
    When I first realised I am not a woman I started thinking back to my childhood, when I was feeling different from others (I haven’t really talked about it in this forum). I now knew, why it was like that. I always played more with boys. I even like playing with toy cars, way more than dolls. I did play with them, but only because the society placed labels and I acted the way society wanted. Back then I never knew about such topics and I didn’t know really how to express myself.
    When I think about how I am not how others see me, then I get depressed and feel like I wanna cry, so I don’t try to think about it. I feel like I really want to transition too and just thinking about it makes me feel happier, but I know I can’t do it now and makes me wanna cry again. I feel like such a crybaby lately. I don’t know if this story helps you, but maybe it makes you feel a bit better. You are not alone feeling like this. This forum after all is here to help us and I don’t think you should be sorry posting this. I hope you feel better soon and can figure things out.

3. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for reading and replying, and thank you so much for sharing that, I really feel for you and what you've been through. I really hope you feel better about yourself soon and if I made you cry or feel low I am so sorry.

I can't entirely relate to the childhood part, I was always one who played with Barbie's and Polly Pocket etc, not toy cars and such. But looking back I think I would've preferred to play with toy cars or something like that rather than dolls... Dolls make kids have such a narrow representation and perspective of how people should and should not be. Wheras cars are cars... They're cool.

I've always felt different as well, so you're not alone there.
    I've always considered myself a tomboy though I guess I grew up liking mainly stereotypically 'girly' things and maybe to an extent I still do .. I'm not sure. But one thing I do know for sure when I was in school I always felt like that weirdo boy with long hair (though again. I was assigned female at birth). I actually have a feeling bullies used to call me boy sometimes, like as an insult. I didn't like it obviously and I guess maybe that's had an impact of how I'm questioning everything about myself, I don't know.

And me being quite a literal person, I don't really get how someone can not be who they were assigned as birth and physically percieve.... If that makes sense? Though yes I know, I am stepping outside that thought. I guess that goes back to the saying 'living outside the gender binary.'

I guess I am just very confused and unsure and filled with so much uncertainty and self hatred. And trust me, Rayland, when I think about how I feel about everything regarding myself, it makes me fee kinda depressed too... So I totally get what you meant.... And I know it's easier said than done to not think about it, but I am trying my hardest with myself.
    I hope you are managing the best you can and if you ever need to talk I am here. Xx

Rayland likes this.
  4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never really found my answers in terms and definitions. The definitions seemed clear, like, androgyne is someone who feels both male and female etc. But I didn't really understand what it means to feel like a certain gender. If that makes sense.

Androgynous is an adjective and it describes a mix of feminine and masculine. A person can have androgynous gender expression (like clothes, interests), they can have androgynous behaviour, personality, looks etc. Whereas androgyne is a noun of the same origin and means a person who is both male and female. There are lots of similar terms that show the spectrum of being both or neither gender. Both in terms of gender expression and gender identity. As far as I know, non-binary is an unbrella term for all gender identities that fall outside the binary of male and female, including androgyne and agender/gender neutral/genderless.

I never really found it helpful either to try to determine my gender by feelings about words. Mostly, they just feel like words to me.

Yeah, I also tought this way. I mean... it would be irrational to think you're a different gender than assigned if you're not familiar with the idea of being transgender.

So... it all came from a completely different place for me. (Social) transition was a solution to a problem that I had. I found the questions that are supposed to determine your gender misleading. And... I feel like they require a certain level of pre-processing, finding yourself, understanding yourself. It's not like you wake up in the morning and are like "just call me he pronouns and sir". There are also reasons why, for example wanting to pass or function in society as a certain gender. So... it's misleading.

5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That’s very true. It was not like I just one day decided that I want to be male. I thought about this a lot and just always threw these thoughts away, because the thoughts of me being a different gender than I was assigned to was too ridiculous. How can I be someone else? Then I don’t even know what exactly changed, but I couldn’t get these thoughts out of my head, like before and it all just started eating me inside and when I came to terms with it, after thinking about my childhood, it somehow just fell into place, like it has to be like that. I hope it makes sense.

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought the same.

I just felt like a guy and it felt overwhelming to have to come out and explain over and over. To explain it to guys that I dated why I'm not as feminine as they expected. Etc.

Rayland likes this.
  7. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for replying @Mihael, I understand what you're saying and can relate and @Rayland I can completely relate to you. And the phrase you used "it all just started eating me alive."
    That's how I feel!!! These thoughts, these questions, it's so confusing. Like who am I? And why am I not feeling the gender I was destined to be?
    (No offence intended to anyone, I'm just talking about myself here)

Mihael and Rayland like this.
  8. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your friend is right, transition will not make you a different person. As the saying goes "wherever you go, there you are". Transition simply allows us to show the world who we really are.

I am a very literal person also since I am ASD yet just because a doctor said "it's a boy" does not mean that I am male. I am a woman, it is who I really am.

If you are non binary then that is who you are no matter what the fool of a doctor said about you when you are born. We do not have to be defined by our bodies, we are who we are inside.

CharlieLuca likes this.
  9. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thank you and I agree.

Though the trouble is.... I don't know who I am inside and the not knowing is tearing me apart. I want to be true to myself and my best self but how can I when I don't know who the true me is?

10. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Self exploration is a big journey.

A bit of a fun story. One day after discovering myself being male, I started thinking about how I own bunch of jewellery. Nothing really expensive or anything and then I thought, but I never like to wear them and wearing jewellery overall was uncomfortable and then I realised, that I don’t own them, because I want to wear them. I have them because I am a collector of beautiful things, what can be dangerously expensive habit and I should keep an eye on it. I still learned another new thing about myself and I couldn’t believe I never noticed lol.

What I wanted to say with this story is, that there are many things you can discover about yourself, things that you never really even think about. It all can be confusing and scary and terrifying, but it’s all part of your journey.

CharlieLuca likes this.
  11. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am sorry about that. I wish that I could help but I do not know how.

12. Ingvermama

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don’t think you’re getting the opportunity to find out your real self, due to circumstances. We are all learning who we are through life and who we meet and what we experience. Don’t give up on yourself, or beat yourself up about this, you are going to find your true self hun.

13. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you @Rayland. That is such an insightful and meaningful story. It is true too.

14. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's ok, it's not your fault.

Thank you, I'm trying. Xx

15. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. Don't be hard on yourself @CharlieLuca . Take your time. To me it seems like the classical trans narrative assumes that everyone has has had the opportunity to discover themself just in general. But people have different life circumstances, and if their life is full of stresses, there is no room for that. It's important to take your time. It's not a race. :slight_smile:

https://everydayfeminism.com/2015/09/its-not-a-race/

Rayland and Ingvermama like this.
  16. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Mihael thank you. Though I must admit I am not quite sure why you sent me a link to a feminist group. I agree with you it is not a race though.

17. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a cool comic about it in the link :slight_smile: maybe you need to scroll down a bit.

18. Ingvermama

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’ll take a look if Charlie isn’t sure. I’m a feminist, and feminism is for everyone, it ensures equality. I’m trying to persuade my partner he’d like to be a feminist :slight_smile:

QuietPeace likes this.
  19. CharlieLuca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. Just looked and read the comic. Appreciate it. :slight_smile:

20. Ingvermama

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ha
    Yes I’ve read it now, that is a cool explanation!

CharlieLuca likes this.