1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about coming out to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pennylane1988, Jan 8, 2018.

1. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been dating a girl for almost a year now. Things are going great and I've been thinking about coming out to my mom because I don't want this to be a secret anymore. All my friends already know and are supporting of my relationship so I feel like this is the next step.
    I know she's going to be fine with this but I've got anxiety and these kind of things are extremely difficult for me. Any advice?

2. SimonSaid

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m not the greatest expert on this, but I can relate. I’ve got some serious anxiety myself, especially with matters like this. It really depends on the kind of person you are, but I think the best thing you can do is wait for a time where you’re alone with her, while she’s in a good/calm mood, and then just say it. Just know that once you do, it’ll definitely feel somewhat better to have it off your chest. Think through any questions that she might have beforehand so that your prepared. Remember that you have people to support you no matter what the outcome. Good luck!

3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well it sounds like you have some confidence that it won't be a big disaster. So what you'd like is to at least be confident that you're not going to blow it. I have some ideas about words. (You'll see.)

It sounds harsh to say "Mom, I'm a lesbian" or "I'm a gay." Using nouns makes you seem like an object. Better to say "Mom, I'm gay." Adjectives don't claim to describe all of you. Even better is to go with verbs: "Mom, I like girls" or "I'm dating a girl."

Getting it out short and sweet is one way to get over your anxiety. There's not much to memorize.

Reading some more postings on EC should give you some idea of how to handle the possible reactions. Good luck, and bad or good, let us know how it goes. If and when it goes.