1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things that helped me

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Kmermaid00, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Kmermaid00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw a post recently and lot on here that are similar to what I have been through. I wanted to share the things that helped me that might help others. I was a stay at home mom for nearly 12 years and was completely dependent on my ex-husband. I was dealing with my PTSD, my will to live, and coming out. I am now divorced, I came out, and I am more independent as a single mother. The first thing that helped me was getting help with my PTSD in counseling. Through counseling I learned a lot. After I went through the PTSD part of counseling we talked about other things. There my counselor gave me resources and ideas. I was living with my children and my ex-husband and completely dependent on him as I had very little money, almost no access to money (he was controlling and abusive.) I had no education beyond an expired certification after high school. The first thing I learned about independence was learning how to ride the city bus so I wouldn't have to depend on others for transportation. This may not be available where you are but I qualified for Para-transit. Which is not the same as the city bus. I qualified through my PTSD and stroke diagnosis. If you are someone with anxiety or PTSD I suggest this a a very big help as there are no transfers between buses like a fixed city route. I found out about this program through my States workforce program. I was going to be homeless and without a way to support myself and my children. So I qualified for a program at my states employment office for a program called vocational rehab. It is for people who have either never worked, have barriers to work such as a disability,or have not worked in a long time. I am disabled and did not work since I had quit my job before I had my special needs child which made me a stay at home mother for 12 years. The program was about 8 weeks and I worked in a training program at a store. I gained so much confidence and earned a little money. I had to use para-transit to get there and home for work. They have programs through the employment office that help find jobs or programs to help with education to be able to get a job. This really helped me a lot.I did apply for school and got a spot for a class at the college but it didn't work out. I am still a stay at home parent as a single mom but I learned a lot there and it was very helpful to meet people and realize that I am capable of learning, helping, and working outside the home. So I do have the confidence built through that program that I can work when I am ready. Through the place I went for counseling I found an LGBTQ support group. I made friends there and felt fully supported. I went before I came out and chose a label that I am comfortable with. I went for over a year before I was able to feel ready to come out. I was also in the process of getting divorced. I then found this support page and learned there were more people like me as an older person coming out and out of a marriage.In becoming confident through counseling and the work program I was able to go out and make friends who also helped me find resources. Now I live alone with my children after the divorce. Its been a little over a year. I was really scared before the divorce that I would not have a place to live or a way to support us. I was really scared about being on my own. I actually came out officially about a year ago. I am generally happy. I still deal with my mental health but I am able to handle it better after counseling. It was so scary thinking about being on my own during the divorce but these are a few things that helped me. I don't know if these programs are available in your city but its something to look into if you are in a similar situation.

Drizzle, JennIsOn and Tartanskrt like this.
  2. Really

That’s so great you’ve come so far! Congrats! Also, super nice if you to share your process. I’m sure it’ll help a lot of people. Best of luck in whatever is next for you. :}

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations. It is really nice to read someones story where even though they had to work really hard at it, things are working out.

4. Tartanskrt

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's amazing how much you've come through and for strong you've become. You should be so proud of yourself.