1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word "f*ggot"

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by bookandquill, Jul 20, 2015.

1. bookandquill

Out Status:
    A few people
    Whenever I hear someone use that word, it seriously irritates me. And even though I know I shouldn't let it get to me, it does. Can anyone here relate?

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate the word too, you're not alone.

Wow, this is my 150th post lol

#2 DreamerBoy17, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  3. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate that it is used in hate. Kinda like how being a pus or a b$&@h or even gay are all used to be cruel to people. If you are gay or unlike your gender then we should have no reason to insult someone anyway. But you can't change the world alone, right?

4. guitar

I abhor the word and do not agree with " reclaiming " the word. It should be a part of LGBT history and remain a hateful word.

5. Storm Chaser

I legit will punch someone in the face if I hear that word. I strongly hate it.

6. starm

I'd heard this word so many times I don't respond to it. When middle school, so many times it got boring.

7. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly it's become so overused it doesn't bother me anymore. Call me crazy but I hate the word homosexual a lot more. The only people that use that term of homophones. When was the last time you casually heard someone say "oh yeah my friend's a homosexual"? You just don't. Only people that use that word noways are bigots...They just use it and put a negative contamination to it thus making me not even want to talk about it right now.

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As much as I hate people using the word to offend others, I don't see a problem with reclaiming it. It's the meaning and intent behind a word that makes it offensive, not the letters or sounds that make up the word itself. Words change meanings all the time, for example, when did "gay" last mean "happy"? With the influence of the Internet and popular culture, the word "faggot" will probably be reclaimed fairly quickly, whether people like it or not.

Also, isn't a faggot a type of sausage or something?

9. FlyingCheese

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm probably one of a couple people who are alright with the word being reclaimed but not okay with it being used in hateful ways. Kind of like the way the word nigger is used.

I think it's because when a girl in my class thought I liked her and called me faggot I thought it was hilarious because she thinks my standards were low enough.
    I had so many cutting come backs I could have used but I didn't.
    At the same time I heard "faggot" by Mindless Self Indulgence and I love the song and band.
    If anyone in this narrow minded town calls me a faggot I'm just going to yell "takes one to know one"
    However, I do hate the way queer is being taken back, instead of being aknowledged as being taken back just by the uses of the word.
    Someone who's heteroflexible might argue that it's alright to identify as queer or to use as a general term for the lgbt.
    Which is wrong, for example no one writes "Nigger" down as an ethnicity, or comes out to people as a "faggot" so it's wrong to come out as "queer." Straight people don't understand the same way white people don't understand taken back racial slurs, they don't live it, so don't tell them it's okay if they call us queers

10. Sek

Sek

For me, I have no problem with the word. I have a problem with its meaning and its intention, but regardless of whether I accept or reject that word there are plenty other words that are just as hurtful.

Allowing the word to cause offense is what gives it its power. Reclaiming the word is about being strong enough to hear the word and accept it. The word's power is assumed by the reaction, it's not an intrinsic power. To put it frankly, if someone's words are hurting you, then you need to become stronger.

11. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't mind the word. It doesn't get me all riled up like it used too and boy, was I miserable! I now like to use that word casually when talking to a friend or maybe even calling that new game that sucks as faggy. It's now a part of my vocabulary and I ain't never gonna give up saying it, ever.

Most of the time when people use that word, it's meant in a light-hearted way (I'm not talking about people calling gay people fags) and not meant to be a direct insult to the group of people it's associated with.

12. internetperson

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It makes me mad because my two guy friends say to each to each other "f*ggot" or "you f*g" and little do they know they have an lgbtq person right next to them. I confronted them about it but they were just like "Oh I'm sorry if it made you uncomfortable it's just a word we use at each other, but I'm not homophobic in any way." But if you're calling each other f*aggots how are you not homophobic like what. UGH it irritates me so much. The next time I'm by them and they say that I'm just going to get up and walk away.

13. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the point that it's hard for the straight community to empathize is right. Before coming out and REALIZING that I Was half gay (pan to me didn't really stick personally. I wasn't including myself in the community until recently) I saw the word as an insult but that it was somewhat permissible because in my community there is a haze of homophobia. It's not hatred, just a feared perception. But when it clicked that was ALSO "homo" that it always bothered me and when people used the word gay I flinched a bit. I stuffed it away as if they didn't mean it and I basically assigned the word a definition of :meaningless. Because if I didn't do that it would hurt me every time my friends used It as an insult. Now I know who I am I don't mind it though because I see that most people are just ignorant and they aren't meaning insult by saying somehing is gay or that someone is a fag got. It's like the f word. It just gets used in So many contexts.

14. Sarii

It's a gross word to say.

15. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I GOT used to it so much i wrote in my notebook that "I'm the biggest faggot and girl I'm not scared to show it !!!"
    what i hate aunty & pussy.............GOSH THEY DISGUST ME T_T

16. yes, i had a "friend" who did not know i was bi and he would use that word around me all the time in terms of talking about others. i had to challenge him on it and he told me i was always trying to be nice to others. i eventually stopped talking to him because he was toxic. he used that word a lot around a lot of people and was very very homophobic. i personally think he was into guys on the low but who knows and really who cares. i think people who use that word try and get a rise out of you. it's hurtful and all you can do is just rise above their ignorance. furthermore, i also think it is very bad for gays to use this word to call themselves. this whole "reclaiming" a negative word to make it less hurtful is pure balderdash to me. when i hear gays calling themselves f&gs and f&aggots as a greeting, it's not only annoying but it's silly. why use something you do not want others calling you? also, to me it denotes very caddy gay men that i would chose not to want to be around, i.e. "the scene"

#16 timeforchange, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  17. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind it more than any other insult.

If anything, the mal-intent should be disapproved of, not the word itself. The word fairy is often used in place of faggot, and its just as offensive in that context.

18. Van

Van

Well, it depends on how it's being used. The word itself has a negative connotation and people usually use it as a pejorative, so if someone says it in a aggressive way, I just feel like I want to punch the motherfucker. :dry: However, when being used in a comedic act, like for example, when Bianca Del Rio use it, I don't really care, because that's just part of her act being an offensive comedian. :slight_smile:

19. Cedar

I don't really mind the word, it's the intent behind it that bothers me the most. Though I still cringe when friends call each other that just for fun...

20. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I don't hate the word itself, but I do despise the meaning attached to it.

I'm not offended by language, ever. The words are neutral, but the context in which they're used are not.