1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Witcher and Xena!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Erzulie, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Erzulie

Who watched The Witcher on Netflix and was reminded of Xena in episode 2?!?! I just needed to get this out there! Jaskier the BARD that's like "please can I come with you because my life needs more adventure?!" and Geralt the WARRIOR who is like "Fine, whatever. Don't touch my horse." That's taken right out Xena! I'm just starting episode 3 now but I have a feeling there's going to be some queer undertones like the Xena/Gabrielle relationship. I heard there's even a bath scene, like come on that's so Xena! I mean even his name sounds kind of like Joxer. Ok I got my feelings out, but who's with me on this???

2. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Xena, but didn't notice any similarity with the Witcher! Probably because Gabrielle was a writer rather than a singer (Renee o'Connor couldn't sing and was dubbed over in the musical episodes of Xena) also Gabrielle doesn't really start barding until after she starts traveling with Xena.

Any way I'm kinda disappointed with the Witcher. It's an impressive looking show with a big budget, but there's just too much blah blah blah about how all the magic and monsters work, and I prefer it when my fantasy shows focus more on the human drama so that all the supernatural elements kind of take a back seat to what the characters are going through (Xena was a very character driven show, so I could overlook all the cheesy action scenes and enjoy the drama) Witcher has great looking action and monsters but all the stuff going on outside the action is kinda weird and I can't really digest it.
    I've not read any of the witcher books or played the video game, so maybe original fans appreciate the TV show more than me.

I'm just hoping the Wheel of Time series on Amazon focuses on the characters and not too much on the magic powers like the Witcher does.

3. Erzulie

Yea I finished the season, and didn't turn out to be similar, but that episode totally had Xena vibes! And yes I think the show was more for the fans of the books and games. There was a lot of stuff I didn't really understand and had to look up like the law of surprise. There were too many concepts that didn't have enough exposition and made the whole storyline confusing. It was hard to keep track of what happened when in each person's storyline.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My husband and I loved it! We're not familiar with the game or books--although I loved Henry Cavill in Tudors. I thought the character development was really great. There was a while at the beginning where we weren't sure how the three plot arcs would intersect, but felt like they came together in a real satisfying way. I thought they did a great job of explaining this whole new world without ever losing track of the characters. We're very much hoping there's more. In the meantime I might just watch the first season again!

5. Loves books

I liked Xena better. I think that I heard that originally the writers didn’t realize the lesbian undertones in Xena but once they realized it just went with it.

6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh man, I LOVED Xena growing up! I'm also a fan of The Witcher series, I think the casting directors and writers made a bit of an error while they were making the series. I'm holding my judgement until i see the second season because there is a lot of information to unpack about the witcher series.
    Honestly, The Law of Surprise doesn't happen too often in the Witcher world, but it was especially important for the main character of the series (which is Geralt). It's basically one random gift of anything, that has to come from the person who declared it. I can explain it, though this season was made for newcomers and try to dwindle it down as much as they can simply explain. I agree they could've focused more on character development and let the magics and fantasy sit in the back a bit, they're a lot more stronger and smarter than it was credited for in the series