1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Wall

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Despite the big red message at the top of every page people are STILL posting contact details on the walls.

The worse thing is that some are saying that they know they could get banned but are doing so anyway. Comments like "fuck the rules" accompanying the information etc...

We are banning on average THREE PEOPLE EVERY DAY now for this. It cannot carry on like this.

We are now discussing whether the wall can remain here or whether it poses too much of a security risk. And so far it is looking likely that the wall will be removed.

2. Lychee

Don't remove the wall!!! That's so sad :frowning2:

3. hiddendc4

I vote for not removing the wall, don't know if I get a vote but im voting just the same. I like the whole concept behind the wall, it just sucks that a few bad apples are trying to ruin it for everyone.

4. EM68

I hope the wall is not taken away. The wall is the only way to contact newer members who can not receive PMs. These are the ones that need one on one support.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

On an average day there are over 200 wall posts, sometimes 300 or more. Someone has to read through every one of those to make sure nobody is abusing them. It often involves looking at the whole conversation to find if someone is trying to drip-feed the information across several messages. It is tedious and boring work for people who are volunteers.

However if one gets past unnoticed, and inappropriate contact results, the site is likely to be shut down. It is a risk we cannot afford to take. A big red warning with the threat of a ban doesn't work. We don't know what will. Getting rid of the whole problem is the simplest and most effective solution.

It inconveniences the majority who use it sensibly, but it protects the site. What is the more important?

6. s5m1

A possible intermediate step is to create a thread where the screen names of people who have been banned are posted each day. This perhaps would remind members that you are serious about banning people for violations and also create a bit of a deterrent effect, because members will not want to be listed for having committed a violation. The wall is a valuable tool for people to seek support. I understand the safety issues, but as more and more methods of communication are removed, the value of this site to its members is also reduced.

7. Dazed

Dazed Guest

what if you had someone who was on all day and was willing to read the wall messages for you and then tell you who was abusing the wall? >_>

then you could use your time for other things on the site.

the people who are misusing the wall know its wrong and should be banned.
    i dont want to say its "not fair" to the rest of us, since i know keeping the site is more important then wall messages but alot of us reply on the wall to talk to people who are not full members.

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I think a "wall of shame" like s5m1 proposes would have some effect, I'm not sure that it would be the right effect. I think only people that are really interested (or see a poster they like get banned) would read it anyway.

That said, it would be nice to have a list of people who were banned and what for. It's extremely aggravating to see posters disappear with no mention of why or when.

Would it be possible to send a PM to new members like the one that's now (automatically, I presume) sent out with the name of mods and experts. One in blood red bold letters explaining the consequences? I know people should read the rules, but they don't. I'm pretty sure they read PMs, though.

9. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not quite sure whether this would work any better, if I am honest. If they aren't going to read a box with red bold writing on every page then it's even less likely they will take notice of a PM.

As for the wall of shame idea, I'm not entirely sure that would be appropriate. A ban is meant to be between a member and the staff so that it can be dealt with without others jumping in. If members don't care that they are risking losing access to the site for a week/month/however long then I can't see why their name appearing in a list of naughty members would act as a deterrant. Also, there are people on here who see rebellious behaviour as a sign of respect, and emphasising such behaviour would just appeal to them more. The system we have with banned behaviour now is that the punishment is handed out, and their behaviour isn't publicised so that they are given attention for it. Some people would love the attention it would give, and they really aren't going to get it. As a support forum we shouldn't have to put procedures in place to try and humiliate people into being well behaved. It would be unfair for a member who made a one time mistake to be publicised in the same way a rebellious and troublesome member is.

10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, I must say I only notice the big red box now that you mention it. :eek::icon_redf

Though these are all good points you raise. A wall of shame would indeed encourage the "going out in a blaze of glory" syndrome.

It's going to be a tricky issue regardless. People are just used to putting up all kinds of personal contact information on other sites. So it might be just a reflex when they do that here...

11. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just an idea for the Wall of Shame... If you were to do it, I think it would be best if it were somewhere like the Ask the Staff section, and make it so no one could reply to it. Just a, "These people are banned for x reasons." And I'm sure you'd try not to reveal too much, and that's for the best. A simple "x person has been banned for release of contact information" or for "inappropriate content" or "copyrighted pictures" or something not too specific.

Just thoughts, but I really do like the wall. I also understand the problem it's causing, however.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>People are just used to putting up all kinds of personal contact information on other sites. So it might be just a reflex when they do that here...

Possibly, but we've seen far too many "delete this once you get it" and "I don't care if I get caught"-type messages for us to think that people are simply not aware of things. It literally is "I don't care about your rules - I'm going to do it".

Lex

13. littledinosaurs

I don't know the demographic of members committing this crime, but if its with the new members who can't PM then wouldn't it be just as easy to give them the ability to PM so they can give out these contact details without breaking the rules?
    Maybe not giving new members PM-ing abilities was put in place to protect people but if they are still sending the information by other means it might be a good solution. Also you could make a more gradual process between Full member and Regular member that allowed regular members to earn PM-ing Abilities at the 20th post or something of that manor.
    Just Thoughts!
    I hope this problem is solved without everyone losing the wall.

14. -Michael-

Is there not a filter that can put on to block all @server.com's?

Although admittedly there'd still be the problem of people leaking their details through several messages.

If it proceeds i vote to remove the wall.

PM's are full member rights only
    Perhaps the wall should be also?

15. Janvier

I think that would be the best solution.
    If people want to exchange private information, give them the ability to do so.
    It's safer than posting it on a public wall for everyone to see.
    People are doing it anyway, regardless of the restrictions..

16. Just Adam

i like the wall but i do agree somethign has to be done i dont want this site closed down its to valueable perhaps the shame idea would work.

i dont know the regulations but wouldent a disclaimer/ acceptance of responsibility for all members to sign not holding the site responsible should they give out their details against the sites rules

i dont know jsut a thought

17. SirBoobalot

Depending on what details are being given out; it's very easy to implement a filter which would star out or delete anything in email address format (or common "sneaky" formats like bob AT cookies DOT com); and it could probably be applied to common phone number formats too.
    Of course it would get in the way of legitimate posts occasionally, but that's not the end of the world.

As an alternative, depending on the modding experience of whoever does the vBB techie stuff; it might be possible to add a "contact card", which wouldn't be publicly visible, but which users could send to each other.

18. Tom

Tom Guest

the one week ban might not be a severe enough punishment, if you catch people sending this information over walls give them an extended ban, remove all possibility of them ever becoming a full member and disable their wall and ability to post messages and comment on pictures. If that doesn't work then they will seriosuly be idotic.

also while talking about the wall can we be allowed to delete posts? there are certain users who can annoy with constant wall posts and it would be easier just to delete them, ofcourse they would not be able to be deleted until a mod has read them or they are saved so mods can read them even after deleting.and I kno there is a block list but you cant block the person for the first post (pre-emptive blocking is something I dont think anyone can do no matter how much we would love to) or the frst few depending on how long you are offline for.

#18 Tom, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
  19. Tim

Tim

Not sure if it's possible, but why not make it so clicking "report" on a message on a wall temporarily removes it from view, until a mod either deletes it, or deems it ok to go?

I typically browse recent wall messages searching for certain things, and even though I rarely spot em, I will report things if I see something like that pop out. And for clarification, I don't actually read the things, so people don't be thinking I'm like a creep who reads everyones wall messages :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I simply skim them for things that pop out XD

20. Greggers

Just an idea...

Can you remove the wall from new members only? A wall seems like a privilege for full members to me anyways. A full member can just PM another full member this info, no need to post it on a wall. New members could just stick to the forums until they get the full member thing.

Also, i agree with more than the one week ban if you REALLY want to drill it in "DONT DO THIS". Many people are willing to take a one week ban, thats not alot to them. Something like doubling it may help.