1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The scientific community sweeping homosexuality under the rug

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Destin, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something I've started paying attention to more over the last few months. I've always had a passion for the natural sciences and am currently a college student in a science major. Heterosexuality is always discussed nonstop in life science classes for things like reproduction, genetics, evolution, mating behavior, the family structure of animals etc. but I've recently realized that homosexuality is never mentioned at all, like ever, in my entire life not one teacher/professor has at any point mentioned any aspect of homosexuality in a science class. It's not that they're against it, they simply don't acknowledge it exists at all.

I started looking through zoology research studies and managed to find some things myself. For example interestingly when male swans are given the choice between a male or a female to mate with, they choose to mate with the other male about 25% of the time. They even sometimes form lifelong couplings with other males, and will literally steal eggs and nests from female swans to raise newborn chicks themselves as a same-sex couple. It also appears that the majority of male dolphins have mated with other males, and sometimes form polyamorous groups of 5+ young males that all show affection for and mate with each other as a group.

Most scientists seem to be either Atheist/Agnostic or not very religious so I'm not sure the total lack of discussion about homosexuality in science is linked to that. There's clearly an abundance of research on it, it's a pretty significant part of society, and is one of the main political/religious discussions of modern times... so why does the scientific community refuse to talk about it at all and instead chooses to sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see it like that to be honest.

I've taken a lot of biology classes, with some being zoology classes. And you're right, homosexuality isn't mentioned much. Rather than see it as swept under the rug, I see it as something that is interesting and perhaps worthwhile studying. But let's be real, its hard af to get funding. If you don't get a good result fro your experiment, then nobody wants to publish it, even if that nil result could mean something.

Especially with zoology, I feel like a big focus in the general world community is focused on reproduction, as endangerment and population numbers are the main concern. The animals that most people care about are endangered or at risk of being endangered. Then the focus shifts to figuring out how to ensure that a female produces the most amount of offspring and that they survive. That doesn't leave a lot of room for studying gay animals, let alone finding somebody who wants to fund a gay animal study.

3. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Much of the scientific community still believes and considers homosexual behavior to be a mental disorder in direct defiance to sociological and anthropological studies showing the practice of same sex relationships to be ongoing and even prevalent and accepted in many societies going back to the dawn of mankind.
    Much of this viewpoint is due to the individual scientists, whose main focus and body of work is NOT related to sexuality and or anthropological/societal study, and how they themselves self identify and relate to homosexual relationships.
    Consequently the science community will nit pick and even go out of the way to shut down or even outright discount homosexual theory and conceptual practices no matter how sound the findings of the study may be.

I have long been a supporter of the early research by Karl Ulrichs and Karl Kertbeny that developed the theoretical idea that sexuality, self identity, and sexual practices were not based on a concept of two genders as society teaches but involves a self awareness of self gender identity and that gender awareness, acceptance, and identity drives a person's sexual identity and sexual motivations as they move through prepubescence and into adult stages of their lives.

Only very recently has homosexual behavior been removed as a classification of mental disorder and it may be many years or decades before scientists and educators on a global scale and as a whole begin to see same sex involvements as normal, beneficial, and accepted practice and then begin to educate in a positive manner against negative and discriminatory practices against those who have a different approach to sex and identity than their own perceived ideals.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um, I don't know where you're getting your data from, but what you're saying pretty directly contradicts just about every credible study, the prevailing thought at various medical/psychological/scientific forums, and just about everything else I've run into. And this applies outside of the psych, medical, and related fields, from everything I've seen. The only people who still believe it's a mental disorder are pretty much either right-wing crazies relying on fraudulent, poorly designed, or otherwise discredited studies, or perhaps scientists living in really repressive cultures.

Also, I wouldn't consider 45 years to be "only recently". Modern study of human sexuality really only started with Kinsey in the 1940s, and homosexuality was removed as a mental disorder only about 30 years later. That's a pretty brief time period considering the social taboos that were present at the time.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if you have a dog, you'll realise that dogs have sex with dogs of the same sex too and are pretty much bi. Hence people should not be held to different standards in that regard than any other animal.

I haven't met a medical professional who believes there is anything wrong with being homo or trans. If anything, the medical professionals are more inclined than, say, psychologists, to see it as an instinct than nurture.

6. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is unlikely you will find a modern medical professional that will display open hostility based on a person's gender identity or sexual preferences because they are trained NOT to do so and treat everyone the same.
    This isn't due to love and tolerance, it's due to the very real possibility of medical businesses and corporations being sued due to the bias displayed by one or more of their employees and this still happens today.

7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But I know many doctors on a personal level. As friends and family.