1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The probability of a TRUMP presidency

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by danbriate69, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll give a more comprehensive response at some point later. I will take now to address two things.

1) I'm not sure what exit polls you have in mind but you are contradicting most academic literature on the subject. Nader voters who indicated they would have gone to the polls in a Nader-less election were split around 60/40 in Gore's favour. That was enough to turn the election.

I never claimed they were the sole cause. I have continually said that it was the result of their position as voters in the tightest swing state in a very tight election. They were not the only cause of the result, but had that 60% of Nader voters who would have voted without Nader for Gore acted tactically in that predictable situation, a president with views close enough to their preferred candidate would have been elected. I also thought it was disingenuous for you to say I never addressed the responsibility of defectors when I clearly did - I stated that a genuine desire to see Bush elected was causally responsible but justified if those voters wished it. Nader voters who did not want Bush or his policies but didn't vote for the most similar candidate were a sufficient condition for the implementation of the policies that were most radically different from Nader's in that election. And I always oppose abstaining from voting.

2) Leading on from that point about disingenuous argument, I would really appreciate if you engaged in better faith in the discussion. Not partially quoting me and saying I ignored things. Not replacing my words with an angry and facetious characterisation of my arguments. I've shown the courtesy of responding to your comments in full and with the best interpretation I had of your arguments. Please reciprocate that.

#61 Aussie792, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone,

This thread was locked because it became off topic. Remember, this sub-forum should really be used to share and comment on specific news items rather than general debate.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.