1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Next Step

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SevnButton, Jun 21, 2018.

1. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Jakebusman, I think you're right. The LGBT Resource Center is a Good place. Good people are there.
    =Sevn

2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SvenButton

When I went to a therapist befor I came out, I just told my wife I was having anxiety and needed help. That was good enough for her. So, I didn't have to hide the costs of the therapy.

A white lie I guess. I was anxious about coming out.

SoulSearch likes this.
  3. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So much, this is a path of desiring to stay honorable while still doing what I need to do. Given my circumstances and my wife's tendency to probe (in a caring way) I think the next step should be to have The Talk. I've written out what I want to say, and I'm carrying around with me.

Pride Festival is in August. I'd love to go openly.

4. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you are ready svenbutton. I'm cheering you on.

I remember when I came out, I was counseled here to think of responses my wife might have and how to react to those responses. So, I made up lots of scenarios of responses.

The idea, I was told, was by being prepared, I could stay on message. Well. The reaction my wife had...laughter...was not one of them and I became flustered and couldn't get my speech finished.

I finally just asked her to let me finish since I had practiced it so much.

Be prepared, but be ready to be flexible and able to answer any question you can think of.

This is exciting and terrifying isn't it?

Drizzle, SevnButton and SoulSearch like this.
  5. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah. You understand. Thank you so much for being here. I feel like I'm about to step through the looking glass.

6. FooFight54

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sevn, I offer great strength and courage to YOU when you do have that talk with your wife.
    I hope afterwards, that both of you can be at peace with each other and be at peace individually.

Best of luck.

SevnButton likes this.
  7. RogerM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, good luck @SevnButton. I came out to my wife a few months ago and she’s been so supportive of me. She’s even the one who found empty closets for me and forwarded the link!

Drizzle and SevnButton like this.
  8. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @RogerM , @Nickw , @FooFight54 , I wish I could adequately express how meaningful and reassuring your kind words are. You are truly helping me to muster the courage to step out of the mire.

9. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can you pay cash and tell her you are going back to therapy? Then use the center for support in coming out to her? I do think you'll want support during the aftermath of coming out as well. There's a lot to think about and work through. You could then open the conversation when you are ready by telling her where you've been getting your therapy.

I've kind of taken my journey to tell my husband incrementally. Not sure it's the best method, but I think it's worked OK for me so far.

I started the process by telling my husband I wasn't happy and that I wanted to see a therapist. That way he at least had some warning that something was going on. My therapy sessions have prompted him to ask me questions and led to me eventually being able to tell him I was attracted to women. I told him a few weeks later that I was considering us splitting up (that has been the hardest conversation so far) and that I'm interested in dating a particular woman.

He has taken it all in so gracefully and been amazingly supportive. I know that isn't everyone's experience, but it does happen. I am hoping for the best possible outcome for you. This hasn't been easy, but most days I feel like I'm on the right path to living an authentic life.

Drizzle and SevnButton like this.
  10. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much for your post, SoulSearch! Your incremental approach seems wise, since it's hard to know what to expect after the next step. Even the next step isn't clear. It's good to hear that your process is going well -- it boosts my courage to know it's possible.

The Center seems like they'd be totally willing to work something out with me. It's good to know they're there. But I also feel like I'm ready, now that I've heard myself say out loud to another person in front of me the truth about my sexuality. It occurs to me that the path to an authentic life should be authentic as well.

SoulSearch likes this.
  11. RogerM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    “It occurs to me that the path to an authentic life should be authentic as well.”

You summed it up perfectly!! ☺️

SevnButton likes this.
  12. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi RogerM-
    That's wonderful that your wife is so supportive of you! Maybe that's not so surprising -- after all, we are the guys our wives fell in love with. I suspect my wife will be supportive too. Right now, I'm way out of my comfort zone, but I see opening up and being truly authentic with my wife as the BEST option. I'm really interested in hearing from you about what works and what doesn't. I want to quit hiding, bring my full self into my everyday life, and not trash the wonderful parts of my life that have grown over the last 25 years.

Drizzle likes this.
  13. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Nickw-
    I'm taking a queue from you on this. I've written out what I want to say, and I start by saying how important my wife is to me. I plan to take her to the place where we kissed the very first time. Just in case it doesn't go well, she won't be trapped, she'll be able to leave without me. If it does go well, it's a place where we'll be able to hang out for a while. Now I'm just looking for an opportunity when we both have a few hours free of parental responsibilities.

14. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi LostinDaydreams-
    I'm pretty sure that if I were to ask for help at the Center and say that I don't have any options, they would work with me. The solution I have is to take a day at a time, one step at a time. I'm ready to open up and tell my wife about this thing that is stirring inside me. That will change the equation for the next step. I hope to be as authentic as I can in every step toward a life of authenticity.
    =Sevn

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  15. RogerM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like we have a lot in common.

SevnButton likes this.
  16. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I think so. Six months and 15 days ago when I first discovered Empty Closets I felt isolated, like I was the only not-entirely-straight family man on the planet. It's really good to know I'm not alone. Thanks for being here.
    =Sevn

17. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sven

I think I shared this before. I wrote a love letter to my wife that I gave her before my speech. In it, I described how I felt when we met and how she has made my life so amazing. I also explained why I had been unable to share my secret. How my sexuality was always a part of me and how terrified I was that she might not accept me if she knew. How I had tried to keep those parts of me from her at the risk of losing her and how I now see that keeping them from her might cause me to lose her.

I made it romantic. I was looking for something in her purse a year or so later and the letter was there. She carries it with her.

My speech covered more ground. I let her know I had always known and had grown up in fear of my sexuality. How I kept from it everyone, even myself. How I had learned to hate it and now learned not to any longer.

I told her I had almost cheated with a man to give each other handjobs. This is when she started laughing. She told me "I sucked at cheating because that isn't even sex".

I made sure she understood that I was telling her all this because I wanted, more than anything, to remain married. I kept reinforcing that point because so many of us come out to our wives as the first step in living as a gay man and leaving the marriage.

That's likely to be a big fear for your wife. Be prepared for sex after. I've probably chatted with a couple dozen men about their coming out and it is very common for a spike in intimacy following disclosure!

Again...good luck!!!!