1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the New Normal

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FeministFemme97, Apr 3, 2013.

1. For those who don't know, The New Normal is a TV comedy recently released following the lives of a Gay male couple who choose to have a child through Surrogacy.
    I've seen a few episodes, and was curious to see if anyone else had been watching. If so, what do you think of it? Funny? Leaning too hard on Stereotypes?
    Just curious, Thanks! :slight_smile:

2. AKTodd

Re: the New Norma

I really enjoy it. It's about the only thing I watch that night.

The story lines are generally fun and try to go for the same sort of 'moral of the story" thing that Modern Family does. There is some stereotyping, but I'm not sure Hollywood hasfiguered out how to do a story explicitly about gay characters who don't display any stereotypes.

One of the main things I like about the show is that although both characters display some stereotypes neither of them do the 'all gay men are helpless' stereotype. When they need to, both display the ability to take charge of a situation within their area of strength or professional expertise and run with it in a believable manner. To me this puts the show ahead of Modern Family in this respect. You never see Mitchell on MF being a lawyer in any sort of serious way.

My 2c worth,

Todd

3. BornInTexas

Re: the New Norma

I've never seen this show. What channel does it come on?

4. Re: the New Norma

Just noticed the spelling mistake in the title :icon_redf sorry!

5. Ianthe

I haven't seen the show, but I fixed the title for you. :slight_smile:

6. thanks, saved a little of my dignity there :icon_bigg

7. JustMe2602

I have seen it and I like it :slight_smile:

8. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I seen it all and enjoyed it loved the last episode when the got married and held there baby

9. photoguy93

I love it! I usually wait and watch like 5 episodes at once. It's hysterical!

It is EXTREMELY STEREOTYPICAL, just like GLEE. if that offends you, don't even bother watching it. But, as I've said before, this is what makes the show so wonderful. It uses these stereotypes to push a story or show how it's really working out. You've got the girly gay and the masculine gay, the bigoted grandma....the sassy black assistant...it goes on. But it's an amazing show!

10. quicksplash

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've seen a few episodes; I found one of the earliest ones, the first one maybe, to be like 'omg what wow lol' kind of funny.
    Yeah, those characters...lol

11. Phil

Phil Guest

I love The New Normal. It's great to see a serie about a gay family, it brings another perspective to persons that believe that all gay guys are unhealthy "evil creatures" that live on the underworld and want to have sex with every man on the planet lol.
    Sadly, i think it's not going to be renewed, but at least the season finale was amazing.

12. Robellious

I watched the whole season and I have to say it was a really good show, It's a really heartwarming show lol.

13. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    I really want to see this! It sounds awesome! :grin:

I might be able to, someday...

14. MixedNutz

I've been watching it from the beginning. I really like it. The stereotypical/ nonstereotypical roles. The whole concept of marriage and family, I think it's good to see that side of gay relationships. Plus rocky and the grandmother are halarious.