1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The National Trust and lgbt

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Silverbirch, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Silverbirch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The National Trust seem to have got themselves into a bit of bother about the wearing of rainbow lanyards and badges as part of an lgbt commemoration event at one of their properties - celebrating 50 years since the decriminalisation of homosexuality in England and Wales.

Not only that, they have been accused of outing the previous owner of the property.

Firstly, the NT seem to be treating this insight into the previous owner as nothing to be ashamed of, which of course it isn't. So I'm behind them on that.

As for the lanyards I don't honestly think whoever had that idea even thought that there would be people against it. I don't think they thought it would be so contentious.

It now seems to have turned into an "I'm resigning my membership" response from a few people upset that the NT have been trying to force people into wearing them. Also mention of PC gone mad and the usual nonsense about respecting beliefs...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/05/national-trust-reverses-decision-on-gay-pride-badges

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the National Trust need to revisit their volunteer/staff recruitment policies after all of this. It's clear that the NT is seeking to be an open, inclusive organisation, but they can only achieve that by having the right people on board; people who share the organisational ethos. Most charities outline their policies on diversity and equality at recruitment days and can refer back to all of that if issues arise with an individual/s.

The lame PC argument always gets wheeled out when things like this happen.

3. Silverbirch

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're right. What's the point in having volunteers who are against what you're trying to achieve and who have the power to derail your initiatives.

I was at a property today and glad to see a few people becoming members.