1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Making Friends" Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IceCream, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I haven't watched RWBY but communication error is a very funny shipping name =P

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 08:31 PM ----------

I think yuri on ice is worth checking out if you want to...it's very repetitive at times and does fall into some stereotypes but it has pretty unique non-cliche characters which is rare in that genre...it also has pretty good animation and music so it's also good from a technological side.
    Plus you can talk about it with other people since it's currently popular.

2. GCJ

GCJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi everyone, I've not posted before as I'm a bit unsure of, well, everything. I'm Lisa, love running and cycling. Almost 100% sure I'm gay (dated guys before but never for long as I don't enjoy being with them physically).
    My username is the initials of my 3 cats :slight_smile: I'm so glad I found this site as it has already helped me mentally a lot.

3. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Haha well I'm otherwise really lazy when it comes to sports, particularly because my school is so bad at them (hence I do my sports out of school). I'm more motivated into doing martial arts because they're a good way to relieve stress and whatnot. And yes, jiujutsu does have belts. They have the standard colours: white, red, yellow, orange etc. through to black. What's annoying is that different partial arts have slight but significant differences between their belt systems, making them quite confusing at times...

Wow that sounds pretty cool! I also like to imagine that music being the soundtrack for my stories, I always wondered if I was the only one that did that :lol: I can't tell you what music I'm listening to at the moment because I listen to a range of tracks. I have a playlist that I'm slowly but steadily building up, featuring a bunch of things like Hans Zimmer (of course), the Game Of Thrones soundtrack, and Marvel soundtracks.

That poem of yours will surely turn out well, it's actually quite impressive that you're able to write those kinds of things. Poetry has never been my forte; whenever I attempt poetry I always end up writing entire paragraphs of narrative. Let me know once you've finished your poem, I'd love to read it if that's ok. As for me, I like to write YA fiction novels. I've written one that's around 600 pages long, and I'm sending it off to agents to get it published. Now I can only wait and see how it turns out.

I can't pick just one Marvel film because I really like them all! Well, most of them. Wolverine sucked. My favourite three films are Thor: The Dark World, Civil War and of course Deadpool. That last film was awesome. The actors were great, the character designs were mostly accurate and they actually made an effort to stick with the comics, which was great.

4. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Welcome to the thread! Can I get you started on Mass Effect? :icon_wink ramble all you like, I'm all ears!

What do you write about? Creating story-based games sounds really fun- my IT skills suck, so I'll keep that as a pipe dream myself :lol:

I agree with you about critique, I've critiqued friends before and they haven't taken too kindly to it! Though I am a perfectionist, and I tend to get quite picky about grammar...

All you need to do to be a writer is write! Unless you're talking about becoming a published writer, but again as long as you're writing you're on the right track! :slight_smile: seeing as you'd like to become an English professor, you must have read a lot of books- do you have any classics you'd recommend?

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 09:11 PM ----------

Hey there!

I used to have a few online friends, back when I was on Twitter, and they're pretty fun to have- hence me starting up this thread. We can be friends, if you'd like (&&&)

I feel you on the inspirational issues- have you tried the "writing prompts" subreddit on reddit? There are a few cool ideas on there.

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 09:12 PM ----------

I'm exactly the same, sometimes it's paralysing...

I know that I should write first and edit later, but my brain wants it to all come out perfect before I've got a word down!

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 09:18 PM ----------

I had to google a few of those! :lol: for me, Weiss and Ruby haven't interacted enough for me to be a WhiteRose shipper... YET. Renora is adorable, Arkos breaks my heart... oh Arkos...

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 09:22 PM ----------

Welcome!

I've always wanted to learn guitar myself, are you self taught?

Have you ever been Ireland? I see you live in Edinburgh, I've always wanted to visit both Ireland and Scotland! Hopefully next year...

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 09:23 PM ----------

School gets in the way of everything! :lol:

I hope you get to achieve your dream one day :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 09:25 PM ----------

Thanks for the recommendations!

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 09:29 PM ----------

5. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    PE at school is always rubbish, I swear. I can imagine that fighting sports would be good for stress relief! Hopefully in the new year I'll take up yoga for the same reason. That's interesting about the belts, what belt are you for jujitsu?

That playlist sounds like it's going to be pretty epic by the time it's done!

Of course you can read my poem! :icon_bigg it should be done by christmas, fingers crossed. likewise, I'd love to read your novel if you're interested? What's it about?

I agree about Wolverine, I didn't think all that much of it either. Civil War was excellent. Possible "potential-friend-ruining" question: do you ship Stucky? my friend nearly disowned me for that ship... Deadpool is definitely the kind of film that you can just watch again and again.

6. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah it is, the name comes out of the fact that the two characters being shipped are Neo and Fox. Neo is 4ft of pure adorable evil,who is presumed to be mute as she's never said anything despite ample screen time, and Fox is tall dark and handsome fellow with so many scars and is presumed to be blind, as his eyes are all white. So one is mute and the other is blind, hence, Communication Error.

7. Kaden216

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm Kaden! :grin: I love anime, manga, and video games. I tend to like slice-of-life stories and sandbox games that have a more relaxed feel to them. Right now, I'm hooked on Stardew Valley on Steam, which is like an upgraded version of Harvest Moon (which even allows same-sex marriage!). I also love Nintendo games (Zelda, Pokemon, Amimal Crossing) and RPGs (Final Fantasy, Tales series, Fire Emblem).

As for anime/manga, I love anything and everything by Rumiko Takahashi. Maison Ikkoku is my favorite series, but I also love InuYasha, Ranma 1/2, and One-Pound Gospel. I also love shoujo-type series like Oh! My Goddess, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Yotsuba&! But I do have a soft-spot for shounen series like Naruto and Dragonball. Recently, I've been really into watching Detective Conan (or Case Closed, as it's known in America).

Aside from games and anime/manga, I also love kitties, surfing Facebook, swimming, board games, and playing Neko Atsume on my phone. :lol:

8. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My school is so bad at sports that it's almost embarrassing. We lose EVERY game we play. Luckily I'm leaving that school by the end of the year. Yoga sounds interesting, though I've never been one to relax through balancing haha. I'm a green belt in jiujitsu, though I haven't been doing that for as long as I have been kickboxing. There I'm a brown and black belt, which is the last belt before black.

Technically the playlist will never be done, as I'm consistently adding to it whenever I run into good music. Currently it contains over 300 songs, and I'm hoping to make it even bigger in the future.

Cool thanks, I'm looking forward to it :slight_smile: As for my book... Hm it's pretty hard to describe. It's a fantasy/thriller novel with two main plots, one at the surface and another deeper plot underlying the story. I could try explaining it but I'll need some time to figure out how... And sure, I would be interested to share it because I'd love to get other people's opinions on it. I might be able to send you an extract of my novel in the future, once we have full membership and can PM each other.

Wow, you people must be dead serious about your ships haha. I generally don't put too much thought into them, though if I had to choose between Stucky or Stony I'd choose Stucky, simply because Steve decided to start a literal war for the sake of Bucky, whereas he almost killed Tony (albeit reluctantly). I'll definitely be watching Deadpool again.

9. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hiya Kaden! :welcome:

Can you tell me more about Stardew Valley? I understand that it's about having a farm?

Animal Crossing is a great game! Man, I was obsessed with it when I was younger...

I love Neko Atsume too! :lol:

---------- Post added 18th Dec 2016 at 09:57 AM ----------

Wow, almost a black belt! That's very cool :icon_wink

That playlist sounds incredible, I don't think I even have 300 songs on my phone :lol:

Fantasy/thriller huh, I look forward to hearing more about it. I struggle enough with one plot myself, so two is seriously impressive haha.

My friend just really isn't a stucky fan :lol: exactly, Steve started a war for him! In my book, that's romance :icon_wink

One thing I will say about Marvel is that I hope they have more films with female main characters... We've had Antman and Deadpool, so a woman would be nice!

10. BroadSpectrum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi. I love skating, running and watching tv shows such as Criminal Minds

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would you like to talk about video games with me? I never played Stardew Valley, but I've played literally everything else. Almost every game from Zelda, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing, a tiny bit of Final Fantasy (really only FF9), five games from Tales (I LOVE tales), a little bit of Fire Emblem (really only awakening and fates).

12. Kaden216

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, the premise of Stardew Valley is that your grandpa has left you his old farm to tend. This is a pretty typical storyline in most of the Harvest Moon games, but the twist here is that your character is originally working a dead-end job at a place called Joja Company (think parody of Walmart). So, your character quits their job to go live/work on grandpa's farm. Well, it turns out that the Joja Mart in the town is ruining the town's local economy. So, with your amazing newfound farming skills, you can revitalize the town, make friends with the townsfolk, and eventually settle down to raise a family of your own. :icon_wink

It's a pretty charming little game, although the days pass pretty quickly, so it can be stressful if you're not use to Harvest Moon-type games. You basically get to choose what you do each day, from tending crops and livestock to foraging for plants and minerals to making friends with the people in town. And, of course, there's the major draw of wooing the guy or girl you love so you can eventually marry them. :icon_wink There's 12 bachelors/bachelorettes to choose from, so hopefully there's one that appeals to you. Your character's look is totally customizable and the world is open-ended, so you have a lot of freedom to play the game however you want. There is a sort of "plot-line" involving quests to rebuild the old community center, but you can complete them at your own pace. Overall, it's just a really fun and wonderful game that really improves upon the Harvest Moon-styled games. :grin:

And yay, another Neko Atsume fan! :icon_bigg I actually needed a new purse recently, so I ordered a Neko Atsume one for Christmas! I'll post a picture when I get it. :icon_wink

I would love to talk about video games with you! :grin: FF9 is an amazing game (I played it with my roommate a few years back). Freya is my favorite character in that game. I always tend to like lancers in fantasy games, so what could be better than an awesome, strong girl with a lance?? :thumbsup: My favorite Final Fantasy is 6 (yay, Terra!!), but I've dabbled around in playing most games in the series.

I've played through most of Fire Emblem: Awakening (Lucina :love:slight_smile: but I have yet to play Fates! How is it? Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are two series that I've only gotten into within the past few years, but I wish my younger self had known about them, because I would have LOVED them as a kid. :lol: As for the Tales series, my roommate and I played through several of them (Symphonia, Symphonia 2, Phantasia, Abyss, and Vesperia), but I know there are more where that came from, and I would love to play more of them. Do you have any recommendations? :slight_smile:

As for Zelda and Pokemon, my favorite Zelda is Ocarina of Time (I think I remember seeing that yours is Majora's Mask?). I also have very fond memories of playing Link to the Past as a kid. :grin: For Pokemon, Gold and Sapphire have always been my favorites, also I really enjoyed Pokemon X as well. My roommate and I are getting Sun/Moon for Christmas, so I'll let you know what I think of Sun after I start playing it. :wink: It looks awesome from what I've seen online so far!

13. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard good things about 6, but never managed to play it. I really need to track down some of the older FF games.

I thought fates was amazing, though there are two version and I recommend playing them both. I played as a female character in Birthright and a male in Conquest to switch it up. Conquest is much harder, harder than awakening, so I recommend starting with Birthright if you can.

As for Tales, you've played most of the ones I have had. Symphonia is my favorite and my first game I played in the series, then I've also played ToS2 (didn't like it as much), Vesperia, Abyss, and Phantasia as well. The only one I've played that you didn't list is Legendia for the PS2. And whether I'd recommend it or not is going to depend on your taste since It's considered to be the black sheep of the series. It doesn't really follow the typical formula of tales games, but I thought it was enjoyable nonetheless. I have not played the newer games past Vesperia as I do not have the consoles for them. I never bought a PS3 or PS4.

Yup, my favorite is Majora's Mask, mainly for the sidequest stories and the masks themselves. Ocarina of Time is a great game though, but my second favorite is probably Windwaker. I've never actually played a Link to the past even though I grew up on the SNES as a kid, which is strange. I just glossed Zelda over as a kid and got into the games more recently.

I purchased Moon for myself, and I'm having a blast with it. I've had it for almost a month now and still haven't beaten it since I have to worry about school and other things on the side, but It'll come in due time. It's a really awesome Pokemon game.

14. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks, though it may take some time before I finally get that black belt. It takes most people at least a year or two, and I've only had my brown and black belt for some months. :dry:

As for my book, it actually developed into two plots by accident. Though I'm not complaining, because it means I can choose to describe the easier plot over the harder one when asked about my book, the easier one being the underlying plot funnily enough.

I've been building up my playlist since June of 2014, so I guess you could say that I've been at it for quite some time. Who knows, maybe if you spend long hours scouring albums and other playlists for songs as I did, you can build up a ridiculously large playlist too!

I also have a friend who isn't into Stucky, she's more into Stony. But to me it just doesn't make sense to stick Steve and Tony together after they spent an entire film trying to kill each other... Well, at least the second half of it. As for Steve starting a war for Bucky, I suppose you COULD say it shows quite a large amount of dedication and affection...

I agree, Marvel really needs more female protagonists. I believe there was a point in which a Black Widow film was set to be released in 2017, but judging by the lack of news I reckon the film has since been tossed into Development Hell. Having said that, Captain Marvel IS said to be released... In almost three years from now.

15. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi BroadSpectrum! :welcome:

16. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Blimey, two years! I'm probably getting out of my depth here, but what exactly do you need to do to go up a belt that can take that long??

I love it when things happen by accident, it's more fun that way, I think. What's the "easier" plot then? :icon_wink

Yes, maybe one day I, a mere mortal, can be like you, owner of a 300-song playlist :lol:

To be honest, as a hopeless romantic it doesn't take much to get me shipping, but I haven't seen any of the sort of chemistry that Steve and Bucky have between Steve and Tony...

Boo about Black Widow! She's one of my favourite characters for sure. Captain Marvel looks great though!

17. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well let's see, according to my instructor you need strength and endurance and blah blah blah. Also the black belt techniques are pretty darn complicated, as one should expect. To put it in simple terms, it involves a lot of flying kicks and spinning around mid-air, hence you need to be able to maintain your balance and achieve good amounts of air in your jumps. Ever heard of the butterfly kick? (In truth such moves aren't incredibly useful but they do look very impressive)

Same here, in fact the majority of my book is the product of many accidents. As for the easier plot... There's a girl (the protagonist) who has stolen something that is very valuable to a certain group of people. They don't know her identity as the thief, though it is clear that they aim to kill the thief. But after a strange turn of events, the protagonist ends up working for the very same group of people that are after her, and so she gets into quite a bit of trouble in order to hide her identity, for the sake of her life. However, that group of course makes progress throughout the book, and so her chances of survival gradually become even more slim. That's the underlying plot in "simple" terms.

Perhaps you will someday, perhaps you will... Or I could just recommend you a bunch of songs. Though I'd have to know what songs you have at the moment in order to figure out what kind of music you like.

Agreed. I don't give too much thought into ships but even I can tell that Stony just won't work, not right now. Everybody's disappointed about the Black Widow film, or rather the lack thereof. It's a real shame. Hopefully Captain Marvel will turn out to do better.

18. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mass Effect is such a good trilogy! Honestly the first game is my second favourite game of all time (only beaten by Spyro the Dragon, which I have a nostalgia boner for). I have a few controversial opinions on the series though, like ME2 being my least favourite, and me not minding the ending too much. Very important question: paragon or renegade?

I write about a lot of different stuff, mostly within the realm of fantasy/supernatural. I generally prefer to write light-hearted stories jammed pack full of sarcasm and dry humour. (ie. I have a story concept about a girl who accidentally sells her soul to the devil, and in a bid to try and reclaim her soul must act as a sort of babysitter for disgraced and "human-ified" seven deadly sins. Hilarity ensues.) That, or I write about more darker based psychological fantasy. (ie. One of my current concepts for a game is surrounding a man who lives in a "big brother is always watching"-esque future brought on by an evil dictator. He winds up going back in time, and ends up getting to know the pre-tyrant version of the dictator, in which he - or the player, I should say - is given the option of how to deal with him.)

Grammar is probably the biggest hurdle when it comes to me. I am not very good at it, if I am being completely honest.

I guess that depends on what kind of genres you are into. Most of my more classical knowledge is tied around plays and not novels. But I do know a few.

19. Kaden216

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some easy ways to access older games, such as the 3DS or WiiU shops... Or you could go the free route... *coughemulatorscough* :icon_wink

Thanks for the Fire Emblem recommendation! :grin: Maybe I'll look at getting Birthright for my birthday next year.

I've heard some mixed reviews on Tales of Legendia. I'm pretty open to new games, though, so I'd be curious to hear more about why it's the "black sheep" of the series. Can you tell me more? :slight_smile:

Ahhhh, you're getting me all excited to play Pokemon Sun! :eusa_danc But Christmas is still a week away! :eek: Which starter did you pick?

20. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As for Tales of Legendia being a bit different (to the point of being disliked), there are a few reasons why:
    - The main character does not use a sword, which I had no problem with personally since I found it unique. If it bugs you, you can always switch to Chloe, who does.
    - Enemies have very high RP which can border on annoying.
    - There are random encounters instead of avoidable encounters like in Symphonia/Abyss, and encounter rate is annoyingly high.
    - Linear combat.
    - A lot of people hated the character designs (including myself, they were over designed but not a huge issue).
    - There were no skits, except in rare situations, but you had to trigger something to do them (like cooking?). They were not random.
    - The game is story is broken up into different segments instead of following a main story, so It's like three different stories. There's also an endgame to it. You only get to know the details of the main character's backstory in the main story, and they reveal backstory sidequests for all of the other characters you had to play through in the end. Some thought this was unneeded and tedious, but I actually liked that they added more. Some of them were real tearjerkers. It's not voice acted past main story though, that's my only gripe with it.

Most of these traits were in Phantasia as well, so I'm not sure why Legendia is picked on for being the black sheep of the family. It could be that it came after Symphonia (and around the time of Abyss, although I technically think Abyss was released a bit latter) so it was seen as being downgraded from those titles. It's up to you if you want to try it knowing this, but I think It's better to replay older tales titles like Phantasia first so you don't have your heart set on expecting it to be like ToS or ToA.

As for Pokemon! I started with Rowlet, which might have been obvious given my avatar. It's a Dartrix at level 33 now, so It's only one level away from evolution. My other team members are Pikachu, Growlithe, Vaporeon, Lycanroc (midnight), and Bewear. Also level 33. I'm waiting to get more moves for Pikachu and Growlithe before evolving them since they evolve with stones. The main reason I praise this game was that they tried something new without straying too far away from the basic formula, like with the trials and the region. It still feels like Pokemon, but I also don't feel like I'm replaying the same exact game again with different graphics/Pokemon.