1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Making Friends" Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IceCream, Dec 15, 2016.

1. KayJay

I am really into Smash Bros a lot! I like open world games too, especially ones with leveling systems. Skyrim of course comes to mind. You said that you like to read, have you ever read any H.P. Lovecraft? His short stories are just wonderful! Really a great read if you are into horror/celestial horror. My favourite short of his is called "The Colour Out of Space." What are some of your favourite books?

#21 KayJay, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been meaning to get into Lovecraft for years now. Do you have any recommendations for where to start?

I'm AJ, and I'm a writer and aspiring filmmaker. I'm a bit of a weirdo; with a love for all things 80s/90s pop culture, true crime, and horror movies (especially the stranger and more obscure stuff like shot on video movies),

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2016 at 10:25 AM ----------

I'm a writer too, so I know how much of a pain that can be. Darious Britt did a video on how to overcome this, and I've found it pretty helpful with getting me back on track. For me, I'm one of those writers who will go to write, and often times it feels like the well has dried up and the ideas just stop.

Is it like that for you too, or is it something else like procrastination?

3. KayJay

I'd recommend ordering a book on amazon. I got a collection of 20 of his stories for like $15 CAD so it was pretty cheap, hardcover even. Think it was called Great Tales of Horror, found it on Amazon. If you're looking for a few good ones to read I always have to say The Colour Out of Space. Can't go wrong of Call of Cthulu of course. Another favourite of mine was The Music of Erich Zann, the last one was an especially short but really gripping read, at least it was for me.

What sort of true crime stuff do you like? Are there specific crimes you find interesting? Do you prefer reading that sort of stuff or do you go more for the TV/Movie/Docu type stuff? I don't know if it totally counts but I always found watching To Catch A Predator really interesting. His Kickstarter campaign to start up again even has started to put out new videos too.

4. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]
    Am I reading this right? Do I spy another Bumblebee shipper?????

Oh, we're gonna get along great

5. rebelAssassin

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm rebelAssassin. I've been here for about a week now, and the most interesting fact of my life is that I live with 4 cats, 3 dogs, a sugar glider, and 65 birds. I write gay fanfictions of my own origin and That Dang Homestuck Thing (TM) and I read obsessively. I will always take book recommendations. Hi!

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooh, thanks! I think Nicholas Vince (the Chatterer Cenobite from Hellraiser) did a movie or podcast of some kind where he and someone else tackled some of Lovecraft's work, but for the life of me I don't remember what specifically.

With true crime; unsolved mysteries (like the disappearance of Brandon Swanson and Frederick Valentich) and things relating to serial criminals intrigue me the most. The more morbid and strange the person or case is, the more interested I generally get.

I remember when I was a sophomore or junior in high school, we had a book about 100 of the worst criminals throughout history (from the Bloody Benders to Ricky Kasso and Charles Starkweather) and I was tempted to revise it because of how out dated it was. I believe it was published in 1994, so it was months before Jeffrey Dahmer was killed in prison, Andrei Chikatilo's execution, and Gary Ridgeway was identified as the Green River Killer. I think the same goes for the BTK Killer. I think I was also going to go as far as to leave my old formspring url in the book so people could anonymously message me to talk about serial killers...yeah, I was that kid. But I think that has worked to my advantage, and has helped me find my niche with writing. So I'll take it!

I don't remember the last time I've seen To Catch a Predator, but I've also heard Unsolved Mysteries might be coming to Hulu or Netflix soon, and that sounds promising.

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2016 at 01:04 PM ----------

Hey Rebel, welcome to EC! What kind of books are you into?

7. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello again!
    I'm interested in any and all philosophy really, but I have mostly been looking into things like moral theories, metaphysics, and the meaning of life. I am by no means very knowledgeable about it, but I would definitely be up for a philosophical discussion! :icon_bigg

8. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm Zaeiria ^^ I love drawing, reading and listening to music. I usually listen rock/hard rock, but sometimes pop is pretty good too. I'm also decent self-taught drummer :slight_smile:

I love animals and I have few pets. I own three guinea pigs and two snakes, while my parents have four dogs.

9. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm SabreBear, though I typically go by R0be0 online. Real name: Never late for supper Rob.

I love video games (RPGs especially - don't ever get me started on talking about Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout, or Corpse Party fair warning), petting dogs/cats (I am absolutely that person who will call out to animals I meet on the street), and writing. I have a few concepts for novels (or comics - despite my lack of drawing ability), as well as a few video game concepts. If I ever get a PC I would like to be able to create story-based games via RPGMaker, but I guess we'll see how well that goes.

My love of writing also extends into critique. I absolutely love picking stories apart, bringing out the good and the bad in them. I always say that there's never a perfect story, and I always go out of my way to prove it. Of course, I traditionally only do this to stories I am fond of. I also no longer (or very rarely) critique online writers. I find that a lot of people see critique to be an insult, which is confusing. If anything I find not critiquing a story to be more insulting. It means that you don't want to see the author advance, and to do better work. It also means (to me at least), that you don't care enough about the story to look through it and find what is wrong with it. But oh well, I seem to be in the minority.

My dream is to become a writer, though realistically I can't see that happening. My game plan for now is to get my English PhD and become a professor. I love writing and literature enough that I would love to teach it to others.

I also have a really dank meme stash.

10. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd love to talk Bioware with you sometime :slight_smile:

11. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow so many writers...

Anyway, I'm qwertuvle, and I have never actually made a friend online. Suffice to say, I was rather interested in this little chat. I game casually, read even more casually, and write almost never.(Not because I dislike writing, inspirational issues and all that jazz).

12. killswitch0029

I've read some fantasy in the past like Harry Potter and stuff but never anything where I was like "Holy shit, this book/series is amazing!"

I tend to be verrry self-criticizing when it comes to what I write so that doesn't help at all either

13. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bumblebee. WhiteRose. Renora. SeaMonkey. Communication Error. Arkos. CocoBunny. The best ships.

14. Boatman

Hey folks. Well as the name may hint at I like boats and water. I'm also really into music/ guitars I play a lot but only for my own enjoyment these days. I'm a big cultural history buff too (Scottish/Irish) I'm also really rubbish at introducing myself!

15. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey Qwertuvle! I'm also a gamer, reader and writer. What games and books do you like? Also I know you mentioned that you seldom write, but I'm still curious, so what sorts of things do you write about?

16. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of martial arts out there. The ones I do are jiujitsu and kickboxing. I also do fencing and although that's not technically a martial art, I figured it was worth mentioning because it's a fighting sport.

I love epic music because of its energy, and I often play it when I'm writing. I find the music really inspiring. You mentioned that you write too, what sorts of things do you write about?

And yes, Marvel is awesome. I love its complexity and how all the characters are so unique, as well as how the universe combines in spectacular ways. Not to mention the stories.

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2016 at 12:25 PM ----------

@IceCream : That came out strange, I must have deleted something. Oh well, you can tell where my reply begins so it should be fine.[/QUOTE]

That's really cool! In my head I'm totally the kind of person who does cool sports like you do, but in reality...*looks at sofa* :eusa_doh: does jujitsu have belts?

What epic music are you listening to at the moment? I sometimes write to a playlist, if I've thought about my story long enough that it's reached the "here's the film soundtrack for when it evidently takes off and becomes a major motion picture" level (I'm a modest person, clearly) at the moment I'm trying my hand at poetry, specifically a poem about anxiety. It's taking a while as I'm quite a perfectionist! And yourself?

What's your favourite Marvel film? Mine has to be either Deadpool or Antman, they were both hilarious :lol:

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 10:42 AM ----------

Welcome to the thread! (&&&)

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 10:45 AM ----------

I've heard very good things about Zelda, which Zelda game is your favourite? I've also heard great things about Mass Effect, though I don't know much about it.

You have a gecko! That's awesome!

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 10:54 AM ----------

I used to love playing all the Mario games, so Smash Bros sounds right up my street! I've never played anything like Skyrim before, but having just looked it up it looks pretty epic- I especially like that you could ignore the main storyline if you wanted and just explore!

I can't say I have read any Lovecraft, but I'll definitely add "The Colour Out of Space" to my reading list! :icon_bigg

Are you into teenage books? My favourite book ever is called "Beauty Queens" by Libba Bray- basically a bunch of beauty pageant contestants end up stranded on an island whilst an evil guy plots to take over the world. It's so funny and also has a (sadly rare for most books I've read) diverse bunch of characters- a lesbian, a trans* girl, a deaf girl. I highly recommend it!

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 10:57 AM ----------

How could people not ship Bumblebee! :lol:frowning2:*hug*)

Do you think it will ever become canon?

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 11:01 AM ----------

Welcome to the thread! :welcome:

Okay, I have to ask: 65 birds?? That's incredible!

I just read that Homestuck has 8,000 pages... I'll read it one day *sobs*

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 11:03 AM ----------

Awesome! :icon_bigg I understand we can PM once I reach 50 messages, or do we both have to be full members or something?

17. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Welcome to the thread!

When did you learn how to drum (is that the right verb?)? That's so cool!

18. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I started maybe couple of years ago, but I had a pretty long hiatus in the middle, because school got in the way.

My dream is to some day play drums in a band, but I need to practise more, before that is even possible ^^

19. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By far my favorite Zelda game is Majora's Mask, but Ocarina of Time is more popular. I would give any of them a go.

20. NoPlaceLikeHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, I'm NoPlaceLikeHomo, a closeted teen in middle school!
    I'm hyperactive an love meeting new people all the time every day! I like to play guitar, ride my bike, hike, kayak, do martial arts, and learn about science and geography.

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2016 at 11:12 AM ----------

Hi Boatman!
    I just started learning to play Guitar and recently joined a whitewater kayaking team. It's great to meet you!