1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the lord is with you

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep of course those were typos. Sorry about that.

2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No real shots have been fired in this thread, but it would be very easy for things to escalate. =_= If you don't agree with opinions or beliefs, a very good option is to not respond, especially if you can't talk about it maturely. If you do wish to discuss varying beliefs, try to stay open-minded, and not speak in an accusatory way. All opinions are valid, until you start acting like a jackass.

tldr; The token response reminding everyone to be mindful.

Also, thank you, OP. I'm sure a lot of people really needed your post :slight_smile:

#22 Batman, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  3. RainDreamer

I usually consider myself an atheist, but sometimes, I think I am not. I do, at times, believe. But not in a deity, or in any mythical invisible figure that somehow govern life and fate. I believe in the embodiment of something more human, something that is central to many belief system and shared across religions, it can be called in many names in many language, but many of us understand the concept and feel the emotion, almost universally: Love.

Love is powerful, but not in the same way a god or a goddess is powerful. Love alone cannot change fate. It cannot stop bad things happen to good people. It cannot perform miracles. But love can change people. It can help us feel each other's pain. It can motivate people to do great things. It can bring us together, and it can provide us a way to heal our wounds in the embraces of others.

Accept the feeling in your heart and let us hold you. Cry all you want and let out all your pain. Life is not fair. Not all of us are equal. But our missing parts can be filled in with love around us, and we can fill other's missing parts with our love. Life is a b*tch, and horrible things happen to us for no discernible reasons. But we can love each other and help each others through horrible times. We can fight against the bleakness and darkness of this world that doesn't give a damn about us, by caring for each other. And it will make our short, short time in this vast, vast universe much better.

Whether you believe in a god or not, won't you believe in love, at least?

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i am sorry those for offended by this thread. I don't intend to debate this issue on this thread or anything. This is not the kind of place or time. I was expressing a personal thought and dealing with the death of my boyfriend a a month so it would be completely immature of anyone to use this thread as a religious bashing page.

Again and i said this a thousand times I acknowledge the pain caused by religion and i understand that pain having lived through it myself. But I simply see God differently and chose to express my loss by honoring my faith in God. You cannot imagine the respect and compassion I have for those believers and non believers. We live in one world full of beliefs and we should learn to love and respect and screw the hate. So i simply ask the same respect in return.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2015 at 10:38 AM ----------

Amen. Let's all live in harmony and life would be much easier!

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2015 at 10:40 AM ----------

Thanks for backing me up. This thread was meant to express a sense of loss and faith in something not to cause religious bashing. If you cannot handle a simple religious quote i seriously would question your stability.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2015 at 10:41 AM ----------

While we may disagree everything you said I agree with! Thanks.

5. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We should probs stop right here! Trust me, these kinds of conversations don't lead to conversion. I've been on both ends o the spectrum from really religious to having a firm stance against religion. You'll just have to go through life and figure things out on you're own. Conversations like the one that's about to go down just build contempt for each other and you WILL NOT convince the other person......

So anywho, whose had a good Monday so far? :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2015 at 02:45 PM ----------

*who's

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. i am not here to convince anyone or push anything on anyone. I just lost someone I loved and my way of coping is by expressing my religious faith. IT gets me through the day and this is not the place or time to debate it.

7. tscott

Here, here! Well said. Dano218 you are the innocent party here. You did not offer up any debate. There were those who wanted to debate you. You've acquitted yourself very nicely indeed.

I am very sorry for your loss.

8. Cesar123

I marvel at the fact of your existence Dano. For you to be a devout Christian, openly gay, and actively involved in the LGBT community is a rarity. I really hope you use your religion to set examples of how people with in your Christian community should and can act towards LGBT and vice versa so that we can finally bridge this rift between religion and the LGBT community. For a group of people who have been discriminated against to discriminate against another is preposterous! Thank you for your thread - coming from a athiest to :slight_smile:

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks I appreciate it.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2015 at 11:01 AM ----------

Thanks! We need more people like us in this country and world to pull together a very divisive world we live in. We as a community whether we are religious or atheist, black or white, disabled, or whatever need stand together more. Life is way too short.

10. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's enough.

It's quite clear that the OP's intentions wasn't to initiate a moral discussion on religion, but to merely share a block of text that he has sought comfort from, and that others may find comforting too. He wasn't inviting anybody to challenge him on his beliefs, or to be dragged into a pointless argument about the negatives of religion on society.

The staff team has had to spend a disproportionate amount of time monitoring this thread, and removing a range of posts that have been deliberately provocative, heated, and unnecessarily offensive. Rather than allowing it to go on, it's probably best to end it here.

It actually saddens me that I've even needed to take this action, considering that EC's main purpose is to be supportive to one another. To attack somebody who has recently undergone a significant bereavement and who is still publicly mourning is extremely low. I can only hope that those people have compassion afforded to them in their next moment of need, even despite them failing to give it on this occasion.

As an avid atheist myself, it isn't often I find myself defending religion. However, there's a time and a place for having such discussions and holding people to account. To do it to somebody who is in mourning and is just wanting to share a prayer that they have sought comfort from is just ridiculous. I'm an atheist, but I'm not an arsehole about it. Nobody else should be either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.