1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The good doctor, "girl"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by And it exploded, Feb 11, 2018.

1. And it exploded

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For those who don't know the good doctor is a show on abc about the misadventures of a young autistic surgeon named dr Murphy who never got proper therapy as a child and is thus hella awkward. Minor spoilers ahead. The most recent episode, she, is about a trans girl who gets testicular cancer and also really likes swimming and the color purple. Murphy totally doesn't get it st first, as I'm pretty sure this is the first time he's heard of trans people, and insists on calling her he, but he eventually comes around to it. It gets complicated but basically if they cut the cancerous out she wount be able to take hormone blockers, this could be fixed buy cutting off both of her testicles. But the parents and especially her transphobic grandmother are hesitant about it. There's a shit ton of other side plots that aren't really important to this post as well. I watch this show with my dad and he didn't seen to have any negative recations, which was expected but reassuring. This is how you write minority characters. Not as tokens to make you look progressive but as real people with real personalities and real problems. Ya know, like every other well written character. More of this please. (Applied to many types of stories of course)