1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The front page and WordPress

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Miaplacidus, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    <important stuff>

Maybe a lighter grey?

</important stuff>

# Someone, quickly, cure me from Vista poisoning...

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

What shade of grey would you suggest? The one in the screenshot is #999999.

3. Alexander

It would be great if once the stylesheet is implemented throughout the site, if different color schemes could be set up.

The shade of gray to use really depends on what you want to do... It might be better to keep it lighter though, because if it's too dark it will draw away (slightly) from the dark text.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Different colour schemes could probably be set up in vBulletin, though I don't know how they could be used on the rest of the site (vBulletin writes the CSS into the pages; it doesn't have a separate CSS file).

I will make it a bit lighter when I implement that theme change at the weekend. It's just one value so it can be further tweaked easily.

5. Alexander

Different colour schemes could probably be set up in vBulletin, though I don't know how they could be used on the rest of the site (vBulletin writes the CSS into the pages; it doesn't have a separate CSS file).

Just have to add a style switching script that gets the value from the vBulletin database to the homepage, then you can customize the CSS for each and leave out the useless values in both.

6. step49x

I like the grey. I'm viewing EC at 2:30 am, and the current skin seems like it's blinding me, with all the white. I don't mind the current width, by the way.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have settled on a general appearance like the screencap here http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?p=143613#post143613. The standard layout is 950 pixels wide which will fit a browser maximised on a 1024 x 768 screen (it's about the same width as ###).

A wide version will be available for the forum only which gives a narrow grey border regardless of browser window size.

The forum template is unchanged apart from the grey border. I may come back to that later, though the generic vBulletin style seems to work OK for most people.

The Members section is as the screencap above but with a couple of extra options. It is based on the vBulletin stylesheet so looks like the forum.

I am doing the homepage including resources, links, Code of Conduct and news etc, with Website Baker. It is a relatively basic CMS (compared to things like Durpal) but it does everything we need. The template system is also quite similar to the stuff I do for a living with JShop eCommerce software so I was able to make progress quickly. It is vastly better than WordPress! This will also follow the forum style.

So the only things that won't follow the consistent layout will be the chatroom and the blog/gallery system.

I am hoping to have it all done in a couple of weeks.

8. Micah

Hey paul that looks great! The grey border is a seemingly simple change yet makes a huge difference to the feel of the page. Can't wait to see the final product.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The new homepage, resources, news and member info system is now being tested and checked by the mod team. Once they are happy it will be fully integrated and the forum layout tweaked to match (as in the screenshot). It should only be another day or two unless any significant problems are found.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

11. Micah

Ahahaha when I read this I was all like "I don't remember making this post in this thread".

But I stand by my words. I like it >.>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.