1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The front page and WordPress

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Miaplacidus, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that the idea of a main page for EC is nice but there's something I have to say. After having personally used it on Full Spectrum and having seen it in action here on EC I can say that I strongly dislike WordPress.

In my opinion, WordPress, which is intended primarily as a blog manager, gives web sites an amateurish look which is highly undesirable for EC (or Full Spectrum). Plus it relies on themes, so there are strong chances of EC looking too much like another site unless a custom theme is created, which is no easy task.

The front page looks a little dull and simplistic (no offense for those who helped to improve it, that's in my opinion inherent to any site that uses WordPress including Full Spectrum's). Looks aren't consistent with those of the forum itself or the chat room either, making EC look like a weird tandem of unrelated pages.

I'm considering talking to Full Spectrum's web designer and getting rid of WordPress for good there, even though that means that we'll have to create a website from scratch. I think that EC should make the effort and do the same. At the moment, in my opinion the front page hides the true potential of this web site from newcomers.

I'm willing to contribute with the creation of a new front page although I'm not a very experienced web designer.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone but that's how I feel.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree. WordPress is very restrictive and is not the correct software for a site with varied content etc. It really is just a blogging/news system. We used it because it was already on the server and it allowed us to get some sort of website online, and I did a bit of work on it recently because it needed updating and tidying up. I have been reluctant to do much more with it because it seems to make simple tasks over-complicated.

I could do a better job in straightforward HTML using DreamWeaver. Once some basic templates are set up, it would be easy to create and modify pages, and upload them. It would be easier to incorporate PHP elements too (such as latest gallery pics and latest blog entries). I would prefer to take this approach than persisting with WordPress.

For the appearance of the various parts of the site, the chatroom is always going to be the odd one out because it is largely fixed design. The user homepages also have their unique style which doesn't match the rest of the site. However bringing the forum and front page into line would certainly make it more consistent and feel more integrated. For example the same logo at the top and the same menu accessing all main site areas below, and the same general colour scheme and fonts.

I don't like the homepage being so dark as it doesn't feel inviting. I also don't like the logo taking up half the page.

Actually doing all this in Dreamweaver is not a significant problem. I have the software and can find the time.

The area I have problems with is the graphical design and the general layout ideas. For example we would need a consistent logo on the top of the forum and the front page. I like the one at the top of the forum now as it is clear, distinctive and uncluttered.

If some of you could come up with some ideas of how it should look, designs for logos etc that would be great. Whether it's a sketch on paper, a rough layout in a photo editing program or whatever, it will give us some ideas to work with. Or if you have seen another site that you think looks good, post a link (or PM it to me if it's 18+).

So please post your ideas and let's see what we come up with. :slight_smile:

3. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take a look at this:

http://www.fullspectrummagazine.com/miaplacidus/ec-devel/

That's my very first design regarding the EC front page. It still needs a lot of work; the code is a mess and there are like 4,294,947,296 unused styles because the CSS was taken straight from the EC forums. Let me know what you think.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I like it. That is the sort of thing I had in mind and the general approach I was going to take unless someone came up with something better.

5. Alexander

You could use a CMS system which would allow template-based pages which you could fill in with whatever info you wanted. Of course you could do that in dreamweaver too, but it might be easier to keep everything on the server.

6. Alexander

I have used both MODx and Joomla in the past, and I have found that of the two, MODx is much easier to integrate and modify than Joomla. MODx also has by far the easier page content editor.

P.S. I will also work on a few page designs for EC. The designs for the content part of this site will absolutely have to use the same CSS tags as the vBulletin software for maximum integration, so I will work on that too.

If you get a design that will work, it might be cool to integrate the homepage into vBulletin or somehow plug in both databases so that it would be possible to integrate the vBulletin user account system into the general site.

#6 Alexander, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The WordPress system we use currently is supposed to be a CMS but it is crap. I don't have experience of any others other than a brief play with Website Baker so cannot really comment.

I have used Dreamweaver extensively for many sites over several years, and have also generated pages and templates in raw HTML for eCommerce sites, so doing the job in Dreamweaver with some manual HTML and PHP coding would be easier and quicker for me than getting my head around a different CMS.

8. Ty

Ty Guest

Wow, Fred, thats pretty good.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

As I mentioned before, that's the approach I will take in a week or so, unless we get some better ideas!

10. Alexander

I can set up some of my ideas on my server if you want + some examples of cms systems, if you're interested. :grin:

11. Micah

Admittedly I'm to blame.

The current front page was never meant to be permanent...yet I was never able to recreate a front page since I've barely been at my computer the past few months.

Another Issue I faced was that the utility of the front page was never really established. Obviously the front page welcomes new people, but what else should it do?

In my opinion in should provide simply links to members blogs, store articles, provide a link to the chatroom etc.

However having a blog feed is far beyond my programming knowledge, and user articles are submitted to full spectrum etc. So besides welcoming members, what exactly should the home page be used for?

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

As I have said before, I am happy and able to create a good front page system in DreamWeaver. I will start on it as soon as we know what we want.

The main issue is really sorting out what we want from it as Micah mentioned. The main aim is probably to introduce what EC is about and provide a lead into the forum as well as access to other information. Resources and articles are useful there too for those who want ready-access to the information.

I have already done some work on a blog feed, latest photos etc (that level of PHP and MySQL coding is within my programming knowledge). See http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7156

For the appearance and style, I will probably follow the forum style (though making it and the forum a bit wider and rejigging the top a bit) as Fred proposed, unless anyone suggest something else within the next week. I think a consistent look-and-feel between the forum and front page is essential to make it feel like a proper site rather than a collection of bits and pieces.

Micah, you are not to blame for anything. The front page we have now, although not brilliant, is much better than the single page redirect we had before. It has given us something to build on and something for people to comment on and discuss here. You were also using the CMS provided, which we have proved is inadequate.

13. Micah

Paul I'm quite impressed with your programming =D

14. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might be a good opportunity to change the forum's style...

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We have discussed this before with no concensus. I would also have to redo all the tweaks I have made to the new style, so it's significant work.

The current one does the job OK. I do want to make it a bit wider though - around 900 pixels instead of the current 775 pixels.

I'll drop the Tech style as it doesn't incorporate many of the recent tweaks.

16. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't we use a variable width version? 900px still looks narrow on my 1280x800 px monitor.

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I would like to do that, yes. Maybe a fixed version and a variable width version, as at ###. Because one is a "child" version of the other it doesn't make the template mods any more difficult.

What do you all think of the attached? This is a 900 pixel wide version shown in a 1024x768 browser window. I have been playing with a darker border to highlight the contents, which would also be used on the homepage.

Attached Files:

18. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aaaaaarrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh windows vistaaaaaaaaaaaa nooooooooooooooooooooo *dies*

The new EC looks nice though.

19. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I need Windows for some of the software I use (including DreamWeaver and PhotoShop Elements) and since some of my clients use it and I need to support them (they pay me to), it helps if I'm familiar with it. Anyway let's not go there in this thread! :wink:

Thanks. Let's see what other people say. I can implement that easily as I have it on my test server and it's just a copy/paste of some template elements and a few settings to change.

I have created a "wide" version too, which expands to 97% of screen width (just leaving a narrow grey border down each side).

20. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Only 21 people use Tech, and many of those are no longer active members. I have sent them all a PM saying it will be removed next weekend and will revert to the default style for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.