1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fear is gone, I'll do it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FluffyLightFox, Jun 27, 2017.

1. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi there.
    Over the past week or so I pondered on the idea that I need to start fixing things in my life before the ship is too damaged and sinks. For some reason it also coincided with a sort of manic state that lasted for approximately four days. I thus gathered the appropriate courage to decide that I'd come out to my father (I don't know if it's just another form of self destruction but I'm willing to let that one slide).
    What prevented me from doing that so far was the irrational fear that my father would react badly. I can still say that there is a (really) low percentage of chances that he will, but perhaps my medium of communication will help protect me from that. I'll use an email, since it's written and easier for me to organize than speech. It'll also be in English (because I, for the life of me, still can't breach into the topic in French without my brain going into panic mode and falling back into the safety net of the English language).
    I talked about the fear that disappeared, for some reason, even now that I am out of that "high" phase. I still don't understand why the fear is gone, but, eh, I might as well do the irreversible while it's gone. I'll simply tell him about me being gay, and having to keep it secret for three years, which led to some complications (I'll only mention what he has seen so far, and carefully avoid talking about self harm or possible mental illness, at least for now). I'll also ask him to keep it to himself for now, until I find an appropriate manner to deal with letting my sister and my mom know. Ah, and since I'll keep it casual, I'll also use the opportunity to send him a link of a YouTube video on graphically representing quantum physics I told him was worth watching (we're nerds).
    And at this point you may be wondering, why the eff am I posting about it? Motivation, I guess. And you may wanna give me some advices. If you do, go for it.
    I'll also wait for my friend, who I'm out to, to be around so that I can send my dad the email, and then if I have a breakdown, have it with them.

I'll keep you updated. Since my dad has come home from work already, and doesn't work on Wednesdays, I'll probably send it on Thursday, even though it's ready already. I could also do it today after dinner, but I would rather not have him in the house when he reads it.

Toodles.

#1 FluffyLightFox, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    grass likes this.
  2. grass

grass Guest

Sending love your way! Be brave . You can do this :slight_smile:

FluffyLightFox likes this.
  3. Luka99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good luck with it! :slight_smile:

4. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Update: Since the email is ready and timing is good, I'll do it tonight. Hopefully it goes well and he doesn't freak out.

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best of luck, FluffyLightFox!:slight_smile:

6. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck to you! Glad you decided to do this.

7. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good luck! I hope this goes well and you can feel free to be yourself. :slight_smile:

8. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    OK, so.
    I am well. It went well. My father responded (by mail) that he wanted me to be at peace and accepted my orientation, adding that a time would come for my mother and sister to know, and that he'd support and help me.

That's good!

But, I'm probably the most troubled by all of that.. It feels weird. Awkward. I feel vulnerable and awkward around him, and I even caught myself thinking that maybe I shouldn't have done it. I don't know why. Perhaps I somewhat enjoyed keeping it a secret, to an extent. At the same time, I feel a bit more free, and somewhat eager to be again in a situation where classmates ask me whether I'm gay or not (it has happened, in the past) and I can say "yes". I'd even dare say that dating isn't such an impossible event any more, although I stay highly pessimistic regarding such matters.

Nothing has changed, otherwise.

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations FluffyLightFox! That's a really great response of acceptance from your father!:slight_smile:

Having initial doubts after Coming Out - like you described - is not uncommon. Basically, you have provided him with very personal and private information about yourself, which makes you feel vulnerable. Over time, this feeling will go away and you should feel much better for being able to be open with him about your sexuality.

Stay strong!

10. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is great news FLF. Like QR said the feelings you are having are very common, I experienced the same feelings after I came out. Over time you will feel more comfortable with other people knowing your "big secret" and after you tell a few more people it will seem like its not such a big deal after all.
    Once you get over the feelings of vulnerability, you will most likely feel like a weight has been lifted away from you.

Good luck with your continued coming out journey.