1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The EC Workout Thread: Shared Motivation

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tracy Lord, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Tracy Lord

Note to mod: is this a good place for this thread?

Danny was talking about needing to get motivated to get back to the gym. I always worked out by myself, and found that online workout forums were a great way to stay motivated. When I read about how great someone felt after their day's workout, it motivated me to get my butt off the couch. The idea isn't to compete or show off; whether you're deadlifting 500 pounds or you just managed to get off your butt and go for a walk during your lunch hour, it's all good.

Who's up for it? It can be anything from a simple, "Made it to the gym today; feel great!" to a detailed accounting of your reps, weights, times, etc.

I'll go first:

Monday: started a yoga class at the "ashram" by my house. I'd done yoga at home a bit for the physical benefits (ie, stretching), but am seeing how the mental aspect is also great for relieving stress. Awesome way to start the day and the week.

Today: took my boy across the street to the park early this morning. Did some sprinter's warm up drills; I'm still pretty out of shape from all the stupid viruses over the winter and spring, so it was pretty light. But enough to make the lungs and muscles burn a little bit. And it was great to be OUTSIDE after all the stupid rain we've gotten. It's finally summer!

And I am most definitely not a morning person. But I think my recent acceptance of myself has caused me to relax to the point where I'm sleeping better, and getting up earlier.

2. Camman3

I have been sick 3 times since the start of April, and I usually only get sick once a year... This has devastated my gymming progress... So this is a great idea, because I have felt so demotivated lately!

Went to gym for the first time today in a week after the flu. Was weak and couldnt finish, but... BABY STEPS!!! Gotta put the past behind and just get out there :slight_smile: Gotta push forward!!

3. Tracy Lord

Great work, Camman! Keep it up, my friend....

BTW, I think South African accents are INCREDIBLY sexy. :slight_smile:

4. Rikudo

I guess this can be a nice way to log in my progress.

I've got 4 week cycles for my college football workout. Going from light to maxing out in those 4 weeks. This would be week 2 medium weights. All around 50-60%.

Hang Clean: 4x135,145,155x5,6
    Squats: 5x155,175,195,205,215x8,6
    Step Ups: 3x45x10
    RDL: 3x185,195,205x8
    Preacher Curls: 4x70,80,90,100x 10,8
    Pull Downs: 3x120,130,140x10
    Rows: 3x100,105,115x8
    Cable Curls: 3x40,50,60x10,8,6
    Russian Twist: 3x25x20

Was short on time today so only jogged for 50 minutes. Surprisingly squats where easy and I didn't feel pain in my surgery knee. I had also been experiencing back pain since yesterday and the lifting seemed unaffected.

5. Tracy Lord

Nice, Rikudo! I used to like to do one set of 20 rep squats. If you get the weight just right, it's about all you can do in one workout. I was a big fan of the DL, too.

But I'm trying to get outside more, so I'm going to start doing more bodyweight stuff, like burpees and what not.

---

Diet: I've decided I'm done with the high protein diet. My goal used to be gaining mass (I went from 155 to 195 in 2006), but now I think I just want to be fit, trim and toned. I had a bowl of raisin bran, oj and coffee for breakfast when we got back from running. Yogurt, honey and granola for lunch. Plus, the heat just hit us this week and I have a hard time eating a lot when it's hot.

I think I'm going to throw some salmon on the grill for dinner....

6. Tracy Lord

And 20 minutes in the hot tub to sooth muscles and encourage sleep. Dinner was ceasar salad and sourdough bread: too hot to even work the grill; bowl of raisin bran for a snack and I am going to bed. Feels good to be doing good things for my body again....

7. lulu165

lulu165 Guest

So, Today, I ran 2 miles. No. I am lying. I ran like a half a mile and walked the rest. But it was two miles :grin: and thats all that matters. I feel GREAT. Like amazing great. So I am out of shape but I will get it down. Ill just push it a little further each day but my goal is 2 by September

You see, My goal is a 7k race next June. But after my first time pounding the pavement I feel great, and I see my goal as obtainable. No, not winning the race, but running... JOGGING the whole time. Yay for being hyper.

#7 lulu165, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
  8. Danny19

I love this idea.. :grin:

lately i have been lagging it wit exercise doing errands and junk.. blaah. but i have been wanting to go again because it gives me a good feeling at the end of the work out..

In high school i used to be in a club which was the running club. i hated running but i thought this was a good way to lose weight. i did but i gained it in college.. ugh.. anyways. I went from running 1 mile in 18 min. to running it in 12. and i did a marathon of 13k. and it was soo freaken awesome. the feeling was great. i was super proud of myself and so were my teachers and everyone. no one could believe it in school. good times..i also did a mud run which is like 3 miles. going through obstacles.. just awesome.. now i kinda went back to hating running but i try my best at the gym. i do mostly the stairmaster. pain in the ass but its the one that makes me sweat and work out the most..

i never thought i would say this but i miss the gym. i have been feeling nasty and fatigued lately. i need it. i was used to going 4 times a week since february. gotta go bac to that habit!!!

9. Tracy Lord

way to go, lulu! :eusa_clap

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I'm trying to get fit enough to run a 5k in November with my best friend so I started Couch to 5k last month. I'm halfway through the program right now and I feel great. I've lost 18 pounds so far and I still have another 19 to go. I'm going to make it happen. ^_^

11. Tracy Lord

Another WOW! Way to go, Kidd! I know you'll get the other 19!

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm already more motivated! (!)

12. Rikudo

Today was a day off from lifting however instead I did speed drills(Agility) and dot drills (footwork).

13. Dr Acula

I've had a nightmare of the gym recently. Started training to lose weight and get ready for the half marathon. 3 weeks in I got mugged, so had stitches in my head and was told no heavy exercise for 2 weeks, was ok for about a day then fell ill for a week, ok for another 10 days then ill until now.

Back on it tomorrow - was 66.5kg (and stable) in the week I went to the gym in between the illnesses. 6.5kg away from goal, coming down from 69kg.

14. Tracy Lord

Mugged? That's horrible!

Glad you are recovered and getting back at it. Get some!

15. lulu165

lulu165 Guest

So, for day two, I went to the lake, I asked my parent to keep my little brother with him because when he runs with me, he tends to make fun of me. alot. Well, my father didnt follow my one request my little brother ran off after me (He is 13) made fun of me and I gave up. I was irritated. I normally exercise to blow off steam, but when its exercise causing my anger it just wont work. Well my dad got mad at me for having an attitude and that set the mood for the entire day.. he is still yelling at me as I write this. The whole running attempt happeded 7:30 this morning. Yeaah not a good day but tomorrow...

16. Gumtree

This seems like an appropriate place to post :slight_smile:

If anyone would like any advice on dieting and/or working out (those with allergies/intolerances are my specialty), feel free to PM me.

17. Danny19

^^^ me. i just dont got any allergies or intolerances

18. lulu165

lulu165 Guest

I took my previous idea of running and threw it out the window. I am now going to follow Couch to 5k because THAT is easier

19. Rikudo

Incline Bench:5x115,140,155,160,175x10,8
    DB Shoulder Press:3x30,35,10
    Bench Dips:3xBWx10
    DB Bench Press: 3x60,65,70x10
    Later Raises:3x30x10
    DB Shrugs:4x90,100x12
    Tricep Pulldowns:3x110, 130, 150x10
    Leg Rises: x15
    Decline Situps:3x20
    Side Cable Pull:3x110,130,150x10

Jogged 60 minutes.

I've noticed biceps getting bigger and more defined. However triceps have gotten larger but seem to be losing definition. For the moment everything seems on track.

20. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Yay! We can do it together Lulu. Take my word for it, be dedicated and get out there and do it. It really does work wonders and you really will see progress, weight loss, and increased stamina and energy and you'll feel so much better, generally speaking. I'm about to do the third workout on week four tomorrow morning. It's been a little rocky up to this point but it's been amazing and I'm so glad I decided to start.

I run every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning, resting on Tuesday, Thursday, and the weekends. Once I finish this I'm probably going to step it up and run four days out of the week and possibly do some interval training or something. I don't know yet, we'll see.

^_^

#20 Kidd, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011