1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The COGIATI (gender idenity test)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by J Snow, Sep 23, 2011.

1. AngelicDemonic

The *sexist* sterotype that women aren't as good at math. I haven't taken it recently enough to remember my score, but I bet it's skewed because of my views towards academical (I excell in math&sciences) food and sexuality

2. J Snow

I just really feel like I'm in a position where I would be probably be unhappy in either scenario. If I don't do it I'll always wonder if that was right, if I do do it, I don't even know if it would make me happy, and I just can't imagine interacting with people I know now afterwards. It would be too awkward. Plus my family can't accept me just being gay.

Anymore I have been thinking how nice it would be just to female. Like I feel like I try so often in some situations to like try and act feminine because being female is almost like a dream of mine. Instead of thinking about it so much, I could just be me and not have to think about it. I think I would be happy if I really looked like a girl. What scares me is looking like something in between...

I would really like some feed back on the picture I just added to an album to see if people think I would be able to look like a female if I decided to try.

3. Hot Pink

I understand where you're coming from, Jon. I really do. I don't want you to think I'm pushing your or anything. I'm just letting you know that the option is there and you're not too old. I also agree that I don't think you'll look bad as a girl. There's also nothing wrong with being gender queer.

4. J Snow

Well thank you. Just hearing you say I could look decent as a girl means a lot.

Also, I have no problem with being gender queer, but I don't think its for me... It just doesn't appeal to me. I don't really have a desire to make a statement about gender or stand out, I just have a desire to be perceived as the opposite of my own.

5. Haberdasher

The COGIATI "Gender test"

I wouldn't put much stock in the COGIATI. Or gender tests at all really: A note on "gender tests"

In the end it's a conclusion you have to reach I believe... though, perhaps an open gender therapist would help in your case (and if you do decide to move forward assuming you want to obtain a therapist's letter rather than go by informed consent then you'll be part way there).

6. J Snow

haberdasher, I'm well aware of the issues that can present with this sort of test. As I discussed in an earlier post, I think its absolutely possible to make an accurate one just by using questions that have strong negative correlations between the answer of a control group and a group of knows transsexuals.

It doesn't appear as though there is a test of that caliber out though, and I know this one certainly isn't perfect.

7. maverick

I have taken a test similar to this issued by the BBC (the Sex ID test), and it gave me a male brain result based on things like spacial pattern recognition, empathic facial recognition, and other biological methods, rather than just building its hypothesis on feminine and masculine stereotypes.

Which actually made me feel a lot better about being trans, to be honest. It's like, "Look, I don't think I'm transgendered because I like guy things like football and cars and women, I'm transgendered because I literally think like a guy."

8. J Snow

I have taken that test in the past actually Maverick. I don't remember how strong the result were, but I know I was more on the feminine side then masculine.

9. maverick

Mine was about 80/20 (male/female). Which makes sense, since I was socialized as a girl. *shrug* Also makes sense that despite being socialized as a girl, my thought processes are still - at least according to this study - overwhelmingly masculine.

Just goes to show you how much of this stuff is nature vs. nurture. I think science is going to make huge strides in solving the puzzle of gender identity/homosexuality in the years to come.

I think it really is just as simple as small things like prenatal hormone development and sexual antagonistic selection.

10. J Snow

Well, I just took the Sex ID test again. I know for a fact the last time I took it I scored on the female brained side. This time I had the average score for me.

I don't know why, but I'm actually really angry at this thing. It doesn't make sense. A lot of the tests I was closer to the female score, yet I still got the average male score.

Spot the difference

This task tested your ability to identify which objects changed position. You lost points, if you incorrectly identified objects.

Your score: 57%
    Average score for men: 39%
    Average score for women: 46%

Your empathy score is: 16 out of 20
    Average score for men: 7.9 out of 20
    Average score for women: 10.6 out of 20

Your systemising score is: 7 out of 20
    Average score for men: 12.5 out of 20
    Average score for women: 8.0 out of 20

Your score: 7 out of 10
    Average score for men: 6.6 out of 10
    Average score for women: 6.6 out of 10
    (Confused here, women were supposed to score higher then men, but the average is exactly the same... Still scored higher than the average)

Your choices suggest you prefer more masculine faces. (I would think this is evidence towards female brained)

If you had to split £50 with someone, you said you would demand £25

So far on the Sex ID test, men have demanded 51.6% (£25.80) of the pot and women have demanded 51.0% (£25.50), on average.

I'm confused, the majority of the tests seemed to go towards female. There were just a few I was more towards masculine on, yet I still got the average male score... I don't know why this upsets me so much either.

11. J Snow

I don't know why but the results of that brain gender quiz are still bothering me today. It doesn't seem like a silly thing like that should have had such an impact on me.

12. J Snow

I feel bad once again bumping my own thread, but just thought I'd throw out that I met with the "Coordinator of the Office of Lesbian, Gay, bisexual, & Transgender Student Services" at my college today and it made me feel a little better. He advised me to come back next week and also to meet with a Counselor on campus. I'm considering it, but I feel kind of uncomfortable with it at the same time...

13. Hot Pink

This is so nostalgic. I felt really uncomfortable too, but I think it's important that you work through these issues.

14. Sadepeura

I did this test and got this result:

Your COGIATI result value is: 0 Which means that you fall within the following category:
    COGIATI classification THREE, ANDROGYNE

It was a bit confusing though because I am a cis-girl. :grin: But anyway, I wasn't convinced about the test because of all the stereotypical things that it was based on.

15. Hot Pink

I can't remember for sure, but I think you're docked points if you like girls, which I thought was pretty odd. It's like the test thinks that lesbians don't exist.

16. J Snow

Yeah, I'm more hung up on the other test in here now. I remember getting female minded the first time I took it and felt good about it actually. This time getting the average male score really bothered me.

I think the only real two things that gave me the male score was the finger length thing and the vocabulary test. I listed like 10 words for words that meant the same as happy but it only counted 1. I don't think I did it right... Maybe I need to separate them with commas or something.

I might retake the thing again. I swear I felt like punching my computer afterwards...

17. seeksanctuary

That to me makes me think "ah, trans". Cis-gendered people generally don't dream, wish and visualize being the opposite sex. Well, not in my experience anyhow... and "I wonder what it'd be like" is different than "damn I wish I could be a girl" (which is also different from "damn I wish I could be a girl because [insert real or imagined social/medical benefit here]"). Still, it is up to you to really figure it out. A test cannot tell you your gender.

Genderqueer just means that you have a gender that doesn't quite fit in with male OR female; you don't have to be a gender activist or whatnot to be genderqueer. :]

From Wikipedia:

Genderqueer (GQ; alternatively non-binary) is a catch-all term for gender identities other than man and woman, thus outside of the gender binary and heteronormativity.[1] People who identify as genderqueer may think of themselves as one or more of the following:

both man and woman (bigender, pangender)
    neither man nor woman (genderless, agender)
    moving between genders (genderfluid)[2]
    third gender or other-gendered; includes those who do not place a name to their gender[3]
    having an overlap of, or blurred lines between, gender identity and sexual orientation[4][5]

Some genderqueer people[6][7] also identify as transgender, and may or may not wish for physical modification or hormones to suit their preferred expression.

But yeah!

I really suggest a therapist that has experience with gender matters. They can be so useful in figuring things out... Also, not all transsexual people opt for hormones or surgery, so don't feel that you MUST get those things if you ARE trans* in some way. It's your body, it's your decision. There is no right or wrong.

18. J Snow

Thank you for the feedback seeksanctuary. Kind of writing at a really bad time where there's a lot more important things on my mind than this, but anyway...

I still don't think genderqueer is me. I don't really want to be between genders. In fact, I've considered doing drag and stuff, but only if I could actually be convincing as a woman. I have no desire whatsoever to look like someone that is between genders. I mean, I have longish hair and stuff, and I have no desire to try to be manly, but I'd rather at least look like a guy then someone in between. It would just attract too much attention, and I'm really shy and kind of self-conscious as it is and I don't think I'd handle it well.

19. phoenix42

I've taken this before and gotten usually 240+. I just took the test again, despite believing it to be a poor allocation of time. scored a 260. The problem i saw is that the questions were very simple. Hypothesis guessing is an obvious result which will skew results. I tried to account of that and really answer truthfully but if anything it just told me what i already knew and believed. so.... for what it's worth, i think the best course of action is a long soul searching sesion where you really think about what you feel and think. If you are struggling this much with the decision then i think there is a good chance you already know the answer and just need to make it official.

20. 11 11 11

See.....this is where I need help.

I'm REALLY struggling with this issue. (my gender - and possible Transsexuality) And I mean really. I've stopped doing anything else - bar sitting thinking about this. I've told my parents I'm depressed - and while I am to a certain extent - being able to figure out what I feel like deep down inside - would relieve a lot of my sadness.

What is Soul-searching? Everyone bandies the term around - what does it really mean? Is it just introspection? Asking yourself questions? Visualisation?

I do feel like I kinda know the answer in some deep dark corner of my mind - I just can't seem to drag it out. As soon as I go "yep I'm really a girl" something pops up to challenge it. I'll think "I should think about this some more" or I'll just have spells where I don't feel like a girl - feminine or tomboyish. At any stage of the day, I can flick around between multiple 'sensations' of my gender, and it really annoys me. I'll be honest I want to be a girl most of the time, and I want to transition, I hate my body. I envy natural girls in nearly every respect, but I don't feel the urge to be a girl CONSTANTLY. And what's worse, I can go for a day or so without really feeling either male or female.

God I wish I could sort this out. :frowning2:

I can't even begin to tell my parents until I decide.

And I need to get started on this .-.

In the meantime all I can do is try and sort out a psychologist. But that's taking waaayyy too long.

---------- Post added 26th Nov 2011 at 09:41 PM ----------

Oh and yes - I too have taken the COAGATI - I thought it was pure gold when I first ran across it five years ago - but I don't really care for it right now. It is fairly broken.