1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The COGIATI (gender idenity test)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by J Snow, Sep 23, 2011.

1. J Snow

The COGIATI

Anyone know how reliable this test is? I just scored a 200 on it and it labeled me as a probable transsexual and advised I "seeked help" about it. I mean, I've always kind of wanted to be a girl, but I don't act that feminine, and don't feel "uncomfortable as a male. I just kind of figured hormones and stuff weren't for me. This has got me second guessing it though...

2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, no test will EVER be able to tell you your sexual identity.

Who you are as a person is your choice and yours alone. If you like girly things then screw what everyone else says and do what you enjoy. The people that point it out and make snide comments are too childish and ignorant for their opinion to matter.

Get to know yourself more, experiment. Try wearing dresses and things to see if you like the way you look. There is nothing wrong with being trans but remember that hormones are irreversible so don't make any decisions lightly.

3. FoxFire11

Wow that sounds familiar; when I was about 13 or 14 I had this really intense desire to be a girl so that I could do “girl things”. Now like you I don’t act feminine (I would really like to tho) nor do I feel uncomfortable as a male.
    After taking that test I got

im kinda confused.

#3 FoxFire11, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  4. Undecided John

The test itself kind of answer your question:

So, I think that if the result suggest that you should seek help, from a counselor, then that is what you should probably do. Note that when it says "seek help", it means help to figure out yourself, not help to "fix" something that's wrong, because that's not wrong with being transsexual, as Furgs said. Just in case it wasn't clear.

5. J Snow

Foxfire11, you 100% described EXACTLY how I feel. Like, it started in middle school. I want to be a girl. I don't like, despise my body. Its just what it is. The intensity of the desire kind of fluctuates.

As for the other two replies so far, I know the test isn't supposed to be 100% accurate 100% of the time. No personality test ever will be. I'm just wondering if there is some reliability to it and if I should take the advice it gave.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to be a girl. However, the thought of transitioning is terrifying to me. I'm afraid I wouldn't even look like a real girl and just look sort of freaky, I would never feel like 100% woman not being able to have children and all, and I can't imagine the social stigma. Just admitting I liked men has been bad enough, I can't imagine the feeling of transitioning from male to female in front of everyone I know. Plus I don't really have money for any of this either being in college.

Also, out of curiousity, if you do have the full surgery, does anyone know if the surgery can actually allow for the patient to experience full sexual pleasure as woman? I've always been really confused as to whether they can just create a vagina, or a vagina that actually has all the sensations of a natural one.

6. Daisy1

I just checked out the test and the poor grammar and writing make it seem pretty sketchy to me.

7. StarofMiyu

I took it as part of my stay in a hospital, pointed to what I already knew xD

8. J Snow

They actually used it in a hospital environment though?

9. FoxFire11

With me the desire became less frequent as I got older. Not sure if this is because i started to Acknowledge that it could never happen (too tall, i'm 6'5")

However

I eventually concluded that I wasn’t a transsexual. Basically I asked myself:

Could I live full time as a woman for the rest of my life?

The answer to that was no. However the terms bi-gender and androgynous have me wondering.

Hypothetical: If there was no social stigma would you transition? (sorry if thats too personal)

As I understand it yes there is sexual pleasure (but not always)
    Sex reassignment surgery (male-to-female) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways Jon, Good luck I hope you find the answers your looking for (*hug*)

10. DarkClarity

I took the test out of curiosity. This is my result:

Your COGIATI result value is: -135 Which means that you fall within the following category:COGIATI classification TWO, FEMININE MALE

What this means is that the Combined Gender Identity And Transsexuality Inventory has classified your internal gender identity to be mostly masculine, and that your gender issues are primarily matters of personal expression rather than a medical problem. Any struggles you have are most likely caused by internal shame over your needs and desires, or because of curiosity over what those needs represent. There is, however, some indication of a strong feminine side to your being, and this is intrinsic to your constitution.

11. J Snow

Yeah, I would, at least if I knew for sure I would look like a passable woman

Thank you, I appreciate it =)

12. Hot Pink

First of all, just because you're a little masculine or you're "tomboyish" doesn't mean that you're not transsexual. Transsexuals shouldn't desire to be the Barbie definition of femininity. I'm fairly tomboyish, but I'm still transsexual. Gender identity and gender roles are separate.

You can still be a transsexual and be non-HRT. Just like there are non-ops. It's up to you to transition or not. No one should ever force you. Personally, transitioning has vastly improved my life, but I recognize that it isn't for everyone.

As for the COGIATI itself, I forget what my score was. I personally found it sexist and backward.

13. Veronica

It's a strange test. I've taken it a few times just for fun and I usually score somewhere around 200.

I'm not sure I'd classify it as sexist, but it does focus on male-female stereotypes. They are just generalizations, and as long as the test doesn't put any trait as more "valuable" than others it's kinda hard to call them sexist. Most of these kind of tests do focus on specific traits acknowledging that everyone has a mix of these regardless of gender identity. I'm not sure in what other way you would place people on such a scale on such a test.

14. J Snow

I'm just totally at a loss for what will and won't make me happy with all this stuff. I really am. I really thought that transitioning would never be practical for me so I just kind of put it aside as a dumb idea, but that's exactly what I did for my same sex desires too and now I've been in a homosexual relationship for over a year. Who knows what can happen I guess. However, with this issue, I feel like 21 is already really late to be starting even if I wanted, and every year makes it more and more difficult. Plus I have some weird thought that maybe in a few years the transition procedure could be improved and I should just wait and see...

I guess I'm more interested in how the test was developed. I know from my psychology class that the questions in a test can be unimportant. For example, if they are trying to identify for a personality disorder, they take subjects with the disorder and people without and just ask them random questions that have literally nothing to do with the disorder and just look for correlations in the data. Like some of the questions are like, when you blow your nose do you throw the tissue away right away or examine it first. I'm guessing this is not how the questions for this test were developed and I would feel a lot more confident with the test if it was. I felt like I over thought a lot of the questions because I KNEW exactly how each answer would effect my results.

I'm really not sure what I want. I'm taking Intro to Queer Studies and I could probably email my professor about a resource for someone to talk to. I just feel kind of uncomfortable talking to people about this. I don't know why. I just feel like its such a silly desire for me to want to be female. I know its not, but it feels that way to me.

15. J Snow

By the way I posted a couple pictures of myself in an album if that would help anyone make a determination as to whether I look too manish to really look convincing if I did decide to transition. One of them I'm actually wearing make-up in :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Hot Pink

Are you kidding me? 21 is not too late. I've only been on HRT for a little over a month and I'm 26. The majority of transsexuals don't get the nerve to transition until they're 40+.

17. J Snow

I suppose... It just seems to me like the earlier you do it, the better it would work, and the more worth while it would be.

18. haelmarie

Wow, this test is ridiculously sexist.

19. Hot Pink

That's definitely true, but it still isn't too late. I thought the same thing about my age, but I was assured that even I was still plenty young enough.

20. Rissyroo

Rissyroo Guest

Gender identity is what you identify your gender to be - A test can't tell you what that is. Err, and the first question is about math. I . . . Yeah. I don't see this as being accurate at all. What relevancy does math have to gender?