1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The boiler repair man

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SaleGayGuy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi greatwhale

Shame, but it’s good that he’s prepared to come and help you move your stuff, what will the others in the office have to say about that.

Re. Work colleagues: Many years ago, and way before I had any idea I was gay, I was working in Detroit and sharing the company apartment with a guy many thought to be gay. Although during my stay there nothing happened in the apartment other than a rather obscure comment from him that if it was ever necessary to buy a lawnmower or condoms at 1am then there was a shop round the corner if we should need them. He was also alleged to have an excellent magazine collection, when I asked him about them he said they were not suitable for married guys!

We decided one day to take a road trip up to Sault Ste. Marie, he wanted to show me some waterfalls, and we got just the other side of the MacKinac Bridge when hit a blizzard. He was all for finding a motel for the night and said he didn’t mind sharing a room if we were stuck for choice, I chickened out thinking he was going to molest me.. Oh how I wish I had been more in tune with myself, it would have been a nice romantic break in a log cabin in the snowy wilderness.

Coming to think of it whilst we were driving up the side of Lake Huron we stopped at MacDonald’s somewhere for a take out. I was driving and he did ask me if I wanted it between my legs or in the cup holder .. He was of course talking of the milkshake .. I should have taken the hint.

Sale Gay Guy

P.S. By chance another friend who I thought may be gay also mentioned lawnmowers in an unusual context within a few months of my return from Detroit. For years I have puzzled over this, was it some secret gay code? In the end I decided it was just coincidence.

#21 SaleGayGuy, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know for sure about lawnmowers. It's not anything I've heard before today, but that doesn't mean anything.

A fast Google search does bring up at least one gay lawnmower reference.

---------- Post added 21st Mar 2013 at 02:07 PM ----------

I also have various regrets about past "maybes." But there are two realities that keep hitting me:

1. I'd have been too scared to take advantage in the past. Example: one guy I knew in high school was almost certainly gay (I learned later), and if circumstances had been different we might have become friends. That might have lead to a sleepover, and who knows what sort of kinky fun that might have resulted in? Except...I was so deathly scared of AIDS back then that I'd have been scared stiff of us even masturbating in the same room. Unless the room was the size of a football field, and we were on opposite sides.

2. Stating the obvious: the past has passed. It's done with. All I can do is learn from it, and move on.

Although, alas, that move on is more easily said than done sometimes. Particularly for me in this situation. On some levels, I feel like the past chances at having a sexual relationship with a guy--such as they were--may well be the last chances I get.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's so easy to obsess about the past, I try to catch myself when I do it and remember that it just does not exist anymore.

The future is bright, it is NOT too late, and I, that is me myself and I, will be a good catch!

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Will be a good catch or ARE a good catch?

5. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It's true, I'm taking my masters and I love the younger guys I can see. But I am not comfortable on crushing or fantasizing on men younger than me, so tough luck.

I had a fantasy on this dude when he started working at our garden when my mom hired him for landscaping. He looks gorgeous and on the shy yet brooding type and we became close friends. It was a routine that he'll take a bath in our house and have snacks with me, or hang out in my room to play video games or listen to me when I play the piano. One time he fell asleep shirtless, and has a nice bulge. I did not do anything though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    WHat you wrote struck me. A lot ofgay guys try to have a relationship with me, though I have not confirmed I am certain I am gay. And most of the time it is because I'm scared, about a lot ofthings. Maybe I should take the chance, while I am still young.

7. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Hard Candy

If I could live my life over again in today’s more accepting world I would definitely take a chance if were in your position.

A few years ago when I was in the “crash room” at the local hospital following more problems with my heart I thought I was going to die. My life flashed before me and I thought of the many things I had missed out on and not tried.

Don’t wait till it’s too late because you will only have regrets later in life. If you go out on a few dates with guys and perhaps try a relationship and you don’t like it and realise it’s not for you so what. At least you have given it a go and made an informed decision, if you do like it then great, either way you will have become a better individual.

Sale Gay Guy

8. CodeGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going to agree that it was probably coincidence, but it did remind me of a joke (one that might not be in the best taste but also might be particularly ironic for you and I, SGG):

Two Newfoundland fishermen, Robert and Peter, are sitting at their favorite bar, drinking beer. Robert turns to Peter and says,”You know, I’m tired of going through life without an education.Tomorrow I think I’ll go the community college, and sign up for some classes.” Peter agrees that it’s a good idea, and the two leave.

The next day, Robert goes down to the college and meets the Dean of Admissions, who signs him up for the four basic classes:Math, English, history, and Logic.

“Logic?” Robert says. “What’s that?The dean says, “I’ll show you. Do you own a lawn mower?” “Yeah.” “Then logically speaking, because you own a lawn mower, I think that you would have a yard.” “That’s true, I do have a yard.” “I’m not done,” the dean says. “Because you have a yard, I think logically that you would have a house.” “Yes, I do have a house” “And because you have a house, I think that you might logically have a family.” “I have a family.” “I’m not done yet. Because you have a family, then logically you must have a wife.” “Yes, I do have a wife.” “And because you have a wife, then logic tells me you must be a heterosexual.”

“I am a heterosexual. That’s amazing, you were able to find out all of that because I have a lawn mower.”

Excited to take the class now, Robert shakes the Dean’s hand and leaves to go meet Peter at the bar.He tells Peter about his classes, how he is signed up for Math, English History, and Logic. “Logic?” Peter says, “What’s that?”

Robert says, “I’ll show you. Do you have a lawn mower?”

“No.”

“Then you’re gay.”

9. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice one CodeGuy

10. bdman

The cable guy...

The sad thing is, even in some strange alternate universe where he would be gay too, he is probably 10 years younger than me which means I would look like the creepy old guy.

11. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    I had to laugh at this thread, a previous work colleague had commented to me 10 years ago that a customer I saw last week was gay but he was married and I thought nope, then last year he broke up with his wife so when he was in the shop the word lawnmower popped into my head, I couldn't think of a way to add it to the conversation. :lol:

I have a backyard and a lawnmower, so that theory doesn't ring true, I am planning to move in the next month or so I might find a place that doesn't require a lawnmower. :thumbsup:

Also what you remember kind of sticks in your brain, its almost like the brain is saying I store that for later use, other times we just need the right triggers to bring memories back to the surface.

12. HEREIAM2

HEREIAM2 Guest

I sure have been tempted by a good few

13. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Offer to give him English lessons!

All of you guys thinking about the "what if's".... what if you just took a "baby step" as the next step to test their reactions?