1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank you so much

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Firepit5, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I came here 3 years ago when my 11/12 year old daughter came out to me; first as a bisexual, then as a lesbian, now as bisexual again. When I came here, I was so afraid. Literally my hands shook as I typed. I was so afraid for her. But I was also not willing to admit that I was in mourning for my view of "her" life. I struggled for months to look at my own child and not think immediately "She's Gay! And she's going to be bullied and what do I do?" Now I can say happily that with my daughter at age 15, her sexuality is truly a non-issue. I know I never think of it as an issue. There is still a part of me that is ready to go to the school and stand up for her rights. Its the lawyer in me. But thanks to everyone that supported us through that weirdly hard time. It was so hard but now I don't even think about all of those fears. And I look at my daughter and only see the kid that got a perfect score on her Math standardized tests. : ) This is all to say Thanks EmptyClosets and those that stay in touch on this sub-forum. You helped so much.

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great to hear this feedback and thank you for being honest about how you felt at the time. It's always difficult for parents to accept and come to terms with the idea that their son or daughter is gay, bisexual or transgender, but you have worked through your feelings and stayed with your daughter and that's the most important thing of all.

3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Girls rock math. I've taught math & physics at high school, city/jr college, university levels, and the girls are all, well, smarter than I was at those ages. I'm sure I don't have to say it, but: encourage her!

#3 beenthrdonetht, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww thanks for coming back to give us such a lovely message, I always think that messages like this help newcomers to see that things can get better however hard they are at the time.

Tuesdayok and Love4Ever like this.