1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Terrorist attack on French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by gazwkd, Jan 7, 2015.

1. FrenchKid98

Yeah like I said in my post, this is not a Muslim thing, nor a religious thing. No one should use their religion or personal beliefs to harm or judge others.

As for the confusion in the news, the last info in the French news (I'm currently listening) is as follow: 1 of the suspects (the 18 year old) gave himself in and says that he is innocent because he was at school. The other 2 suspects are still to be caught. None of the suspects were killed. Police investigated all night and they are currently interviewing 7 people.

2. White Knight

I could kiss you right now.

While there are some people in here and probably in world like to link those terrorist attacks to my/our religion and ask for us to apoligize for something we didn't even think as Islam/Muslim but solely see as terrorism.

This is exactly how we see it. It is just simple act of terror. We also have our share of IS or back in day El Kaide related attacks/acts however they are strongly opposed and faded away fast.

I hope one day people will learn to tell the difference between group of people (be it a religious group, racial group or any other "minority") and terrorist groups/terrorism.

I usually stay away from those religion sensitive topics but just stopped to thank you and others who showed similar attidute like you. (*hug*):kiss:

3. Lyana

We just had our minute of silence. Everyone has been really affected. Candles lit, or post-its spelling out "I am Charlie" on the windows. It felt very surreal. I'd never experienced anything like it.

I posted in the previous thread. This is our biggest (deadliest) terrorist attack in ages. We're not used to this. Fear just became very real to a lot of people in Paris.

And no one here has been making it about religion. People have been really great about it, standing up and proclaiming freedom of speech and press. I saw this somewhere: "They wanted to bring France to its knees. They only got us to rise." There's a lot of sadness and anger, but what has really struck me -- and I'm not the only one -- is that there's a sort of awful beauty in it.

4. LiquidSwords

To discuss the topic without mention of religion is to not discuss it..

So this is a thread just for people to drop in and say how appalling they think it is, as if we might have assumed they felt otherwise, well that will be interesting

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fixed that. Islam didn't do this, religious extremists did.

This was a horrible act of terrorism, and I feel for the members of the publication who died and their families.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rest in peace, those that have passed, best wishes to their loved ones, and all those in France terrorized by this tragedy.

7. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  9. RadioRoss

I can understand being upset by the mocking of someone's faith, even as an atheist. I'm not going to say it's happened to me, exactly, but being upset is understandable. But going as far as murdering people? No. Mocking shouldnt have to cause the execution of people. Mocking shouldnt have to cause the silence of people.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We don't have to make this discussion a polar one; we can criticise the magazine for its offensiveness, but by no means can we say that the murderers were justified in any way or that it was righteous cause to consider provocation. These fundamentalists were not part of the discussion between everyday Muslims, Jews and other members of French society who feel that the magazine went beyond satire into racial and religious mockery without cause. They were murderers, who felt that they had the backing of God and the Islamic world in trying to crush any sort of opposition in the most violent way, and had the cowardice to do so in cold blood.

They were unspeakably evil in a way that a callous magazine doesn't come close to. But I would prefer we not make perfect martyrs out of the magazine. This isn't angels against demons. This is the despicably evil against the moderately flawed.

11. DelvSeigible

I like that we are talking about terrorists, but we should see terrorists not as criminals but we should see them as fanatics who are expecting the world to respond to their violent action. At this point, we do not know why our civilians are so disenfranchise enough to resort to terrorist activities, yet by bringing our attention upon terrorism is in fact perpetuating more popularity for the terrorists. Terrorists are like children who want the attention of the parents, in this case, they want to gain the attention from the world government, and locally they want the French government recognize the cause of terrorism. We should them what they want if what they want is peace and equality. If they want something such as discrimination and the isolation of their country then that is unconventional.

When certain ideals align then we approach Peace with open hands.
    -E

12. LiquidSwords

I think the type to be offended by the cartoons is the type who have pretty extreme religious views to begin with.. the type of extreme views which deserve to be ridiculed. I don't think the magazine has anything at all to apologise for.

Yeah, thanks, though I never did say or imply that the religion of Islam was responsible which would be a strange idea. That these attackers were motivated by their religious beliefs makes a discussion of extremism within Islam quite interesting/important is what I meant. The moderating of this thread has been bizarre

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very sad news which will unfortunately play into the hands of both extremist sides: the National Front and Marine Le Pen hiding behind "Frenchness" to curtail religious rights of minorities, and the Islamic Fundamentalists who choose to "defend Islam" by killing innocents.

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2015 at 01:20 AM ----------

My opinion is that if you can't say/show something to someone in their face, then don't say it in a publication free from personal consequences. There are enough internet/satire tough guys in the world.

14. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

As this shows there are consequences...

15. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Can we at least wait until the bodies are underground and the perpetrators in custody before we start blaming the victims? Thanks.

16. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

17. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Omg, he could have dropped the mic right there and that response would have been golden just for that quote alone, but he just kept on going and going and going. I wish the elected officials in my country had half the wisdom of this man. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

18. LiquidSwords

Ha, curious then that he's one of the least liked politicians in the UK now with a very real chance of not winning his seat in this year's general election. I do sympathise with his position in government though and he does talk well here I will give him that

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently 2 are dead at a different siege in eastern Paris. Scary time to be in Paris right now.

#40 imnotreallysure, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015