1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Teacher suspended for misgendering pupil

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HerRainbow, Nov 14, 2017 at 3:59 AM.

1. HerRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I read this yesterday about a teacher working in an Oxford school (supposed to be prestigious) who misgendered a trans boy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pended-praising-pupil-using-wrong-gender.html

Do you think it was a mistake, ignorance or done intentionally? And do you think he deserved to be suspended?

My thoughts on this is that teachers have many responsibilities and one of them is to respect and protect the interests of those they are teaching. So whatever beliefs they have have shouldn't be brought to the classroom. He simply shouldn't have taken it upon himself to treat the student like that because he was putting him at risk of bullying by singling him out.

#1 HerRainbow, Nov 14, 2017 at 3:59 AM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 4:02 AM
  2. shadowalex

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would be careful with the daily mail because they are known for being transphobic and tend to misrepresent stories about trans people.

3. HerRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hear what you're saying but the main focus was on the teacher's actions.

4. DoriaN

Many knew ridiculous situations like these would come up if certain laws got passed and while there can be some good there is also bad.

I feel bad for the teacher, and I wish I knew who this 'pupil' was. Absolutely disgusting, not the first time I've seen an abuse of the system and people like this.

5. mnguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I could find more sources for this situation since if it is true and that newsworthy other sources should have reported on it too. All I could find seemed to be the same article re-posted on various questionable web sites. Would be nice to see articles from various reporters and maybe there are that I didn't find in my brief search. It makes me wonder if there is more to the story that isn't being reported by this biased site. From what information was given in the article I don't think the teacher should be fired, but he should use the chosen pronoun for the student. If the student looks like a boy it shouldn't be hard to get that right. In this particular case he could have said, "well done, kids" and been inclusive of boys and girls. Here are a few quotes that stuck out to me.

"...made to use the pronouns ‘he’ or ‘him’ and that to force him to do so was a breach of his human rights." I think that's bs. It's basic courtesy to call people the name they want. What if he didn't like boys being called Kelley or Fran? Why get hung up on what this kid was born as? What if this kid doesn't have XX chromosomes or has ambiguous genitalia? How did the teacher find out the kid is trans? What if this kid was at a new school and was always known as a boy? The teacher has the right to keep thinking what he wants about gender identity, but at work he follows the policies. Perhaps he should work for a private church school that aligns with his opinions.

"...an increasing trend of Christians being marginalised in the public square, and unpopular beliefs silenced." To be accurate, it's not all christians who hold such unsupported beliefs. Those who reject the studies and research on this subject can keep believing the old, false information and talk about it in their personal lives, but not at a school where it's against their policies. Trans people have been marginalized and worse forever so now that we understand gender identity better and won't tolerate the prejudice, guys like this claim to be victims. They're only victims of their own stubbornness by not looking at the science and understand that gender isn't as simple as we once thought and others of faith understand this so it's not incompatible with faith.

"I do not believe it is unreasonable to call someone a girl if they were born a girl." It's unreasonable if the person identifies as a boy and again, how does he know the state of his genitalia and chromosomes?

"...silenced or punished if they refuse to fall in line with the current transgender fad." This right here is the piss poor attitude of these folks. It's not a fad and it's insulting to call it that. They do that to try to denigrate this legitimate issue. Trans people have been around forever and they're finally able to have a better shot at living an authentic life. Science understands gender identity better now. People can reach their full potential when they can be authentic and not harassed for part of who they are.

"It seems to me this is a mad world when someone is disciplined for stating a biological fact." Again, stubborn attitude and physiology and chromosomes don't determine gender identity. It doesn't impact me in any way what gender another person identifies as. Why does that bother some people soooo much?? Why fight the gender someone else identifies as? Just accept we're not all the same and hope your fellow person is happy. How is that hurting anyone?

6. HerRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with you on all points. But mostly the one above. In a school setting you have to kind of be role models for children so you need to be the change that you want to see in them. If you hold and use such views in particularly a mainstream school then you will encourage bullying and for children to exclude others for being 'different'. So he needs to go somewhere that support his ideology.

I also don't think it was said by accident because clearly he didn't apologise. He stood by what he had said. The most worrying thing is that there's the very real possibility that he could say similar things in future if he had other kids in his class on the LGBT spectrum.

#6 HerRainbow, Nov 15, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 8:47 PM
  7. AbsoluteNerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have not yet read the article or even looked at the link, so here are preliminary thoughts:
    I do not know if this was done intentionally or not, nor wether this has happened before. Context is necessary to determine wether suspension was an appropriate action.

8. AbsoluteNerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    BBC on the story:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-41966554

So, based on the information from the BBC, I believe a warning is more appropriate than an entire disciplinary hearing. While the daily mail blew it out of proportion, the university still overreacted, in my opinion.

9. PlantSoul

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh for Fuck's sake! I doubt honestly that the teacher did this intentionally. Teachers have already have about a billion things to worry about. This teacher probably forgot among all of those other countless things. They're already probably use to referring to the former pronouns that the student used. What's next? Are parents going to be charged if they forget and let slip their child's birth name and former pronouns? Are children with trans parents going to get in trouble if they forget to call dad "mom" and vice versa? Sure being misgendered isn't pleasant but, it certainly isn't going to kill you. And if it was done intentionally, it's life that some people won't agree with you. You can't let these things have control over your life.

(Youtuber, Blair White, made an excellent video on this topic, if anyone is interested.)

10. cibi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is terrible and needs to stop. transeuxals really shouldnt get this buttmad about something as silly as this. grow a pair and man/women up.