1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surgery or binders?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by littleraven, May 24, 2016.

1. littleraven

I have really crazy dysphoria with my chest. How should I decide whether to just use binders or to get a top surgery?

Is there anything I should keep in mind for binders?
    Is there anything I should keep in mind for top surgery?

I probably would use binders first. I still would like to discuss what I'll need to know and also experiences that you have had.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely start with binders. That should at least help with dysphoria when you are in public. You will have plenty of time to think about surgery.

3. littleraven

I guess the things that scare me with binders are that I'm afraid of wearing it for too long and I'm afraid of having one that doesn't work for me or is uncomfortable. How can I make sure I get a comfortable binder and how can I make sure I don't wear it for too long?

4. AaronV

I guess you should ask yourself this: Do you want a temporary solution for your problem, or a permanent one?

Sure, binders can make you flat, but they aren't exactly comfortable, can't be worn for too long and can damage your breast tissue. Ever since I realized I was trans and started binding, I knew it wouldn't be something I could stand to do forever, especially know that I'm stealth. Binding is not just the same as having a real flat chest, at least that's how I feel about my body.

edit: I didn't realize you were just started to figure things out. Binders from Underworks and Gc2b are generally pretty good. Make sure to only wear your binder for around 8 hours a day and ease your body into wearing one. Just listen to your body and you should be fine.

#4 AaronV, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have a few threads on binders here, which is probably your best bet unless you're absolutely sure you want to go head first into top surgery; which would be a permanent solution to your problem as Aaron said.

For binders, I recommend GC2B and Loveboat (if you have money to throw around); since I find their binders to be extremely comfortable and great for someone who is also chubby. Also, GC2B has great size options, are one of the more affordable options, and feel like you're wearing a tank top, which I like a lot.

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start with binders. You might find that binding is enough to relieve your dysphoria, and you won't need top surgery. gc2b, Underworks, and LesLoveBoat (as the others have said) do good binders. I've heard Underworks is the least comfortable of those three, but I've only ever owned LesLoveBoat binders because I need the onces that have velcro instead of the pullover style. Don't bind for more than 8 hours (and when you first get your binder, it's better to bind for shorter amounts of time and work your way up to 8 hours), take it off if it hurts, never bind while exercising, never bind while sleeping.