1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Supreme Court says federal law protects LGBTQ workers from discrimination

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by brainwashed, Jun 15, 2020.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm so happy. I stopped everything I was doing and opened my T.V. I hope this moves to how business handle LGBT+ customers.

The world is moving.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea this is awesome news and I'm kinda shocked! Now if we could get equality in housing, healthcare and goods and services we could be closer to Canada's leadership in civil rights. It's a happy day though and cool how these big decisions come in pride month lol!

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its good news, now the next fight will be over religious exemptions. Still a way to go, but good momentum!

5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my gosh. I never would have expected this during the current regime, but this makes me so happy!

I hadn't had a genuine smile in months. Is this... hope?

6. xenu

I haven't been this happy since I wore out a pair of tap dancing shoes on David Koch's gave.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    About 10 years ago, I assumed that this was a basic civil right until I looked it up on some table showing which states granted protections for what. I was very surprised to see that so many states did not provide protection over employment based on sexual orientation. Like most of them. I was also shocked.

This has been a huge problem because it affects both those who are open about their sexuality and those who are not. They also discriminate against people who they think are sexual minorities because of their personal familial status.

There will still be battles and suits but this is a start and it should have happened even before marriage equality. I believe one justice stated that this is so basic because almost everyone needs employment. It's a milestone but also sad because it reminds people of what some continued to endure in the workplace for the first 20 years of the 21st century.

#7 Tightrope, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  8. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    When I first saw this news, I had to read it several times to make sure I was reading this right. I really did not see this coming.

So doesn't this throw a huge wrench in the Trump administration's argument that gender identity isn't protected by sexual discrimination laws?

9. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm very happy about this ruling, and did not see this coming from a conservative supreme court. It makes me more confident that Obergefell v Hodges won't get overturned. I find it interesting that it shows how the supreme court generally interprets laws as they are written directly as opposed to what the authors of the law intended (which was the same story as with Obergefell v Hodges).

10. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if it does seem like a 'basic right', this seems like an important ruling, and I am happy for you folks in the US that you finally have some good news for once.

It certainly does seem at odds with the current administration!

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And surprisingly no tweet from Trump on it! (Because he never really cared, only Pence does). I bet the GOP are happy its not an election issue they need to deal with. They have enough social issues on their plate that the GOP is going against the tide on.

In the US the battles have been had and it may be perceived by many that the broader legal war on LGBTQ equality is actually over - but there is still more to do. There will be continued skirmishes (the religious right will claim their religious liberties are being impeded which I am sure will make its way to the Supreme Court); and attitudes need to continue to evolve so everyone feels comfortable living their truths regardless of religion, family or where they live. Trans rights needs to continue to fight (which the current administration continues to use as a punching bag to appeal to their base), adoption rights need to be restored in various states where LGBT adoptions have been recently banned - but between LGBTQ Marriage and now job protection, its clear momentum continues in the positive direction.